Wool shirt recommendation

I would like to get a mid layer shirt or sweater. I have used fleece for years but want to get a wool shirt for my layering system. Looking for suggestions and shared experiences. Thanks

OP
Bezamaelee
Curious why you want a wool midlayer?

Do you plan on wearing another piece of merino wool under it?
Yes my base layer is merino wool. Have been using a fleece layer over that but want to try wool. Also to have something that isn’t camo and would serve me “around town”. I’d like to have a good wool shirt that serves a couple of roles.

Ddog

WKR
You can find great wool sweaters at the thrift shops, or if you wanna spend some cash First Lite's Furnace is awesome as a mid-layer or even an outer down to surprisingly low temps if wind isn't howling. Also, ebay has tons of wool button-up shirts for sale. I like old Woolrich buffalo plaids, they're thick and warm.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You will want a poly blend over full merino for a mid layer like that. Smartwool Merino Sport Hoodie (not the ultra light version) is an excellent choice. 150 weight merino with poly blend to help it actually dry out and maintain shape. Color options suck but comes in a light grey that isn't bad. Would prefer orange or earth tones personally but if it works it works and this one WORKS.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Ibex is back in business, their Indie Hoodie makes for a very nice mid-layer layered over a thin base layer- I think it's in the 200-ish micron weight

For a regular shirt, the traditional lightweight Pendletons will work over a light base layer- check eBay before buying one at full retail

slowelk

WKR
Kitsbow make wool shirts for active use with ventilation and reinforcement in high wear areas. They use pendleton wool. They are spendy, but quite nice.

Heat

FNG
If you are patient and shop the sales there are great deals to be had from Pendleton. Sale in July had Canyon shirts for around $60. They are normally more than twice that.

Minus 33 is what I am using now, I have a 1/4 zip and a non zip mid weight layer that I use frequently. I picked both of them up used, but they look brand new to me. I switched from First Lite about two years ago. I

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t overlook Black Ovis. Great products that are relatively affordable.

bluumoon

WKR
I have a Voormi light weight hoodie that has served me well, its a wool blend and isn't itchy. Made in the US if you care. Break out the $ though. Saw a midweight hoodie in the classifieds yesterday XL size.