Wool shirt recommendation

How does the sizing run on these?
Great question....ran to four stores trying them on. This will be a shitty explanation. But in my short experience trying them on....

The traditional grey 4 button Henley....an XL was ENORMOUS. I was at my all time Fattest last month trying them on. I am generally a SOLID XL. Chest tapes 50" but I'm short AF....think Gimli...

XL in grey was too big in torso and waaaaay long. No Larges in 4 stores to try. Hitting store #4....they had a limited run of same style, but black with white wrist cuff. Tags show same Canada build. But that XL fit way better. I tried on an XL of grey again, same store...was a dress. But black one was money.

So....I think they run kinda huge in traditional grey

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
another vote for the o'l Stansfield here. Have a few of them. Wear them duck, deer hunting, elk and bear hunting.

Probably not going to be popular with the ultra light crew, or win any beauty contests but it's one aweome, tough, versatile clothing item.

20211113_114412(3).jpg

Last edited:
I’m a big Woolpower fan. Been using this stuff for years and it is very comfortable and temperature regulatory. The looped-wool weave also traps a lot of air and keeps skin dry if used as a base layer. If looking for a traditional wool shirt I‘m a Pendelton fan.

Another very fine winter warmth garment is the venerable old US Army Wool Sweater. I have two, bought many years ago. Every once in a while I see one for sale at a sports show or surplus store and cannot believe folks don’t pounce on them.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to get a mid layer shirt or sweater. I have used fleece for years but want to get a wool shirt for my layering system. Looking for suggestions and shared experiences. Thanks
Probably too late but can't get a much better mid layer than the Duck Camp Barnburner Hoodie in solid brown or grey. 95% merino wool, 5% spandex.

Its warm, comfy, stretches with your movement, is anti-microbial, and layers well. Built in thumb loops. It's so comfy you'll want to buy two...one for hunting, one for casual.

I know I'm late to this thread but Swazi have a new (within the last 6 months ish) garment that I've been enjoying called the Cairnsman. It's made in NZ with sheep wool on the outside and possum wool on the inside so it feels OK to wear next to your skin. I wore one for a week straight in the Victorian mountains during some pretty cold conditions (probably still warm compared to a lot of North American stuff) and it was fantastic. I had a Swazi wool baselayer (The Hoodoo) underneath it as well. Honestly, one of the best garments I've ever worn. They also have a newer version now with an elastic neck and no hood.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I know I'm late to this thread but Swazi have a new (within the last 6 months ish) garment that I've been enjoying called the Cairnsman. It's made in NZ with sheep wool on the outside and possum wool on the inside so it feels OK to wear next to your skin. I wore one for a week straight in the Victorian mountains during some pretty cold conditions (probably still warm compared to a lot of North American stuff) and it was fantastic. I had a Swazi wool baselayer (The Hoodoo) underneath it as well. Honestly, one of the best garments I've ever worn. They also have a newer version now with an elastic neck and no hood.

Is the MacKenzie the hoodless version?

First Spear Woobie is another option. They make a 1/4 zip, full zip and full zip w/ hood. It's similar to Duckworth's Powder hoodie and pants.

KM5019

FNG
I would like to get a mid layer shirt or sweater. I have used fleece for years but want to get a wool shirt for my layering system. Looking for suggestions and shared experiences. Thanks
Most wool I buy is from Filson or LLBean. LLBean has a nice guide shirt.
I buy most my wool from Filson or LLBean. LLBean has a nice guide shirt and a Maine guide jac shirt that is very versatile and can be use on its own. My wife bought me a wool blend shirt from Cabelas that is nice two. Benefit with that shirt is that it can be washed rather than have to be dry cleaned.