Wool sock recommendations?

Alpaca wool socks, you won't go back to lesser materials.
Ive been looking pretty hard at switching. When Im hunting elk or turkey or mule deer my Darn Toughs are amazing. However, when I am an in a stand, they get freezing. I even take my socks off, dry my feet and then put on a fresh dry pair once I get to my stand. That helps a little, but I still freeze. Curious about trying the Alteras or another Alpaca wool sock. What do you use?

bat-cave

WKR
Hard to go wrong with Darn Tough as has been mentioned by several folks. I really like First Lite's Merino socks. In particular the compression socks as they simply don't slide down even after high mileage days in the Elk woods! Tall enough to also work well under Rubber boots for WT season.

Buzby

WKR
I didn’t care for the darn tough socks I tried. Not enough wool in the ratio. They felt too synthetic. I was a smartwool guy until I tried Farm to Feet. Love them! 100% American made also, from the sheep to the manufacturing.

Last edited:

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I will toss in a vote for alpaca socks. I have 6 pair of the Paca brand, as well as a pair of local alpaca socks and they are soft, warm, compare to wool for moisture wicking, and functional. Going to wait a few years before commenting on durability.

If you want to stick with Merino then you can't beat Darn Tough. I have a few pairs of them as well. Great socks, not quite as soft/comfy in my opinion, but from what I hear they wear like iron.

Seth

WKR
Alternate between darn tough and farm to feet. Both have been excellent. Comfort nod goes to farm to feet, for me.

bc54

FNG
^ lol

OP asked about socks that resist the stink.
I've found the boot can make a big difference in stink, but across all boots I've worn darn tough stay "fresh" for the longest. With that in mind, you can pack less pairs (something something ounces pounds and pain)

No experience with alpaca wool tho

grfox92

WKR
I'm enjoying two pairs of Farm to Feet right now. Smart wool is great as well. Haven't tried Darn Tough yet but they are on my list.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

AM3

FNG
As said, Darn Tough are great. I am trying out Grip6 this year with good results. They didn't go sour on an 8 day moose hunt.

As said, Darn Tough are great. I am trying out Grip6 this year with good results. They didn't go sour on an 8 day moose hunt.
Another vote for darn tough. Wore a pair 2nd season with no blisters and feet stayed warm. Smell was not bad at all after 5 days of hunting.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using farm 2 feet every day for the last couple years at work and hunting. Bought a pair of darn tough cuz everyone raves about them. But I found farm 2 feed more comfortable and better moisture wicking. I have no doubt that darn tough is more durable though. I did manage to wear through a couple pairs of the farm 2 feet socks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
I've tried several brands over the last 20 years but always seem to end up back with smartwool. They don't stink and clean up fine with some water and occasional soap.

For wildfire, I had 3 sets that I rotated. One was for sleeping, one to wear and one drying out. Those would get me to 14 days easy and with RnR in place they make a month without a real wash. For hunting I only take 2 pair for a week plus and that's only because I like dry socks to sleep in.

For skiing they get washed daily or every other day at most. I spend 10+ hours a day in ski boots and even merino wool can get nasty in those conditions. Smartwool there too.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have some Dar tough running socks i liked, though they are about worn through the heels so I will be getting them replaced, the darn tough hikers I bout are in my size but insanely tight!

Smartwool were my go to but they must have changed something, they do not last any more!

Darn Tough. I use them from Spring turkey to late season rifle. Just like their name suggests just damn bombproof (comfortable, too). The company will send you a replacement pair if you wear out or get holes on your original pair.