Wool vs Fleece

ERegs

FNG
Can someone explain to me the difference of fleece and wool for the mid layer/2nd layer. And not merino wool lm Talking like the old itchy wool. Is the pro vs con going from one to the other or vice versa. I picked up an old woolrich shirt from a yard sale and was worried if it’s wise to use. Thanks in advance

Can someone explain to me the difference of fleece and wool for the mid layer/2nd layer. And not merino wool lm Talking like the old itchy wool. Is the pro vs con going from one to the other or vice versa. I picked up an old woolrich shirt from a yard sale and was worried if it’s wise to use. Thanks in advance
I prefer wool.
I find it manages sweat and heat over a wider range of temperatures and (my) output better than fleece. Alot better.
It also will still keep me warm when wet. It's obviously never comfortable wearing wet clothes, but being wet out in wool is alot more comfortable than being wet out in fleece.

Then other people prefer fleece.
I wonder how many people just think they prefer fleece because it's pushed more, in the mainstream and most people follow but there you go.

Play around with both and see which you actually prefer.

OP
ERegs

ERegs

FNG
Anybody know of any outer wool garments with a wind liner to help break wind. I’m a white tail stand hunter with a western mountain hunt every other year. Just to have one set of clothes to do it all

Keep On

FNG
Anybody know of any outer wool garments with a wind liner to help break wind. I’m a white tail stand hunter with a western mountain hunt every other year. Just to have one set of clothes to do it all
Cabelas used to offer wool bibs and coat with gore tex, it was water and windproof but way to heavy to want to use on a western mountain hunt. I have the bibs and wish I'd gotten the coat at the time. Heavy but incredibly warm, only get worn in winter and only on stand hunts.
A good tight weave wool like filson or bean isn't wind proof, but not much will get through.

ChuckInTn

FNG
The wool with a lightweight shell would be best, just to keep the wind out and shed some rain. Ultralight rain jackets, or "wind-shirt" would do the trick. I think mine are around 8 ounces. Another + for the wool is that it doesn't develop a stink like a lot of polyester does. I'm a huge fan of Duckworth Wool products. Grown and sewn in the USA

I used to wear wool as a mid and outer layer when hunting, the problem was when I got hot, it was a serious pain in the ass to put in a pack. A few years ago I switched up my layers to have wool as a base layer, then fleece with a hood as a second layer, a puffy vest as a third layer and finally my puffy jacket. That set up will keep me warmer throughout a hunt and it is much easier to pack. With that being said, I won’t use that set up for treestand hunting in the midwest. I tried and froze. This is where wool works best for me. I have a wool base layer, second layer and a heavy jacket for my outerwear.

Wear it!!

I like my wool & fleece! Both have their places.

Im a merino base guy, then fleece mid, then old school wool outer.

If i need rain / water protection. I use either a lightweight rain / wind type shell or if its bad out I'll get the HH out.....

The places I frequent most get a lot of rain & wet snow. I've found nothing better than this combination for me!

Mikido

WKR
Throw your other fleece away and buy more second hand itchy wool.

I’m skinny as a rail and am always the warmest in my hunting crew, hands down.

drra

FNG
If I'm backpacking I bring the new materials, they pack down much easier. If I am hunting out of a camp and don't have to worry about packing I still wear my wool pants and jacket.

i just wear a wind shirt (thrift shop .4$)over mine,wool is great and everything but wind cuts through,even my KOM garb

73 Wood

FNG
In my experience, fleece breaks down quicker than wool over time and gets thin. Once its thin it loses its insulation qualities and isn't doing much. Watch the elbow areas and once they start getting thin - time to move on. I do like fleece though.

I prefer fleece for my gloves.

EdP

WKR
I had fleece gloves and find the fleece compresses if you are carrying something and then its like using your bare hand. Also the wind goes right thru fleece. For gloves I like wool with thinsulate.

For many years I have used both fleece and wool button up shirts (long sleeve flannel style). Both are warm. I like fleece because it is lighter to wear and pack and it stretches some with you when you move. I often wear it when I don't expect to take off outer layers. I like the wool because it breaks the wind much better than fleece. Wearing fleece as an outer layer is pointless if there is any wind. If I am moving and getting too warm I can take off the outer layers and the wool lets me cool off but not get too cold in a bit of wind. If I am hiking (vs hunting) its always the wool that goes with me.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I prefer wool.
I find it manages sweat and heat over a wider range of temperatures and (my) output better than fleece. Alot better.
It also will still keep me warm when wet. It's obviously never comfortable wearing wet clothes, but being wet out in wool is alot more comfortable than being wet out in fleece.

Then other people prefer fleece.
I wonder how many people just think they prefer fleece because it's pushed more, in the mainstream and most people follow but there you go.

Play around with both and see which you actually prefer.
I’m other people. There is a lot to like about fleece
- lighter than wool for same warmth
- dries much faster
- way better in wind (treated)
- packs down better
- more durable

I don’t think the insulating while wet is much of a factor. You are going to be extremely uncomfortable either way and wool takes much longer to dry out than synthetics.
I started out all wool and have moved away from it all together (except blended socks/boxers).

But since you have the wool, try it out! See what you prefer.

I’m other people. There is a lot to like about fleece
- lighter than wool for same warmth
- dries much faster
- way better in wind (treated)
- packs down better
- more durable

I don’t think the insulating while wet is much of a factor. You are going to be extremely uncomfortable either way and wool takes much longer to dry out than synthetics.
I started out all wool and have moved away from it all together (except blended socks/boxers).

But since you have the wool, try it out! See what you prefer.
I started out with synthetics and moved to natural fibres.