Wool, what is good for

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
Friend of mine owns a Sheep farm and asked me yesterday if I wanted the wool from their sheep when they shear them. Apparently there is no money in wool and they just throw it away.

I have racked my head of what in the world would I do with it, maybe shove it in the walls of the chicken coop for insulation?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What are they raising sheep for if not the wool? Sheep meat doesn’t seem especially popular either.

FLATHEAD

WKR
If you could find a place to process it in to yarn and then
find some Granny Knitting club,,,,I'm thinking beanies,
gloves, vests, etc.....
I have no experience with this, just a guess.

go_deep

WKR
I have wool in my attic for insulation, even has a piece of paper with the quality of the wool and the ranch it came from. I added new blow in on top of it though, seemed to be lacking R value after 30ish years.

mcr-85

WKR
Bag it up and sell it to trappers. It works great for holding bait or lure and has eye appeal for coyotes foxes and bobcats.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
boonez40

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
Bag it up and sell it to trappers. It works great for holding bait or lure and has eye appeal for coyotes foxes and bobcats.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Interesting thought

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What are they raising sheep for if not the wool? Sheep meat doesn’t seem especially popular either.

That's funny.

Market is crazy right now.

I know a rancher who use to say I own cattle for the prestige, I have sheep to pay the bills.

I know some people make archery targets with it. I sell it, depends on the quality of the fleece, but it normally pays the shearing tab.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Heard the same thing; another employee here has alpacas - bails and bails of the stuff, graded and everything. Can't find a market.

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
If you could find a place to process it in to yarn and then
find some Granny Knitting club,,,,I'm thinking beanies,
gloves, vests, etc.....
I have no experience with this, just a guess.
SOCKS!!!! My Oma (grandmother) in the Nethlerlands used to send us pairs. Thick, gray, wool socks were the absolute best. I still have a bunch of them and need to find a knitter that can fix them up for me!.

I known nothing of sheep/alpacas....but I DO know Filson. I am completely FLOORED people are giving this away. Wool clothing is stupid expensive. Where's the disconnect?

The quality.

Filson uses wool that probably less than 1% of the sheep in this country produce.

Just like you don't use Angus for milk cows. It's breed specific to the quality of the wool produced, and those wool breeds generally don't produce much of a carcass. Meat production is the sheep industry in the States.

rayporter

WKR
my nest door neighbor has a few sheep and has the same troubles. the meat is contracted for a year in advance, however, by locals of middle eastern decent.