Wool

Does any use wool any More ? So far it’s the best clothing for tracking elk .its totally silent from brush rubbing against it . The wool market isn’t vary good that I’ve found . any suggestions for alternatives other than wool ?

EDIT: I wrote my initial response hastly on a coffee break at work. Edited below.

If your talking base layers, (merino) wool continues to be very popular with lots of options out there.

In outer layers however, wool seems to have taken a back seat in popularity to synthetics. Gore with lightweight Nylon/poly blends and laminates are the bees knees sometimes. EDIT:. Sitka Timberline pants are awesome and plenty quiet. All synthetic but the Gore Tex knee pads and seat are a real plus.

King of the Mountain wool is pretty expensive but I always hear good things about them. Would like to try a pair. EDIT: probably too heavy unless it's Sub-Zero.

I have a couple Fred Asdell wool pullovers that I really like in mild weather or as a mid-layer. EDIT: Highly reccomended.

Cabela's wool Windshear is a favorite of mine, I don't know if the newer Bass Pro owned stuff is as good. I think the wool content is lower now. EDIT: This stuff is too heavy to wear tracking!

Military surplus wool pants and hand-me-down wool sweaters and flannels are still a good choice. You can find some good deals on eBay.

Grey Wolf Woolens makes custom stuff. I've tried some on at a show last year and really liked them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Unless I'm worried about weight (week or more backpack) I always wear wool. Asbell wool pullover has been with me for about a decade and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I guess I don't feel that I've ever found an alternative to wool that stacks up.

*zap*

WKR
I wear wool sweaters all the time for outdoor work when it is cooler....wool base and tops/pants for packing in stuff when stand hunting, change out of it for sitting.

Wrench

WKR
I'm super heavy on gear and I LOVE wool. Filson, King of the Mountain, windstopper merino from llbean. Summer it's first lite obsidian and some baselayers...yes it is heavier but nothing is as quiet. Nothing.

I tried wool outer wear, KOM, and loved it. However, it was never really cold enough to warrant the use of it and it was extremely heavy.

OP
P
I'm super heavy on gear and I LOVE wool. Filson, King of the Mountain, windstopper merino from llbean. Summer it's first lite obsidian and some baselayers...yes it is heavier but nothing is as quiet. Nothing.
Does king of the mtn make good fitting pants ? Wool rich is very baggy

mlgc20

WKR
When I'm hiking or hunting I only wear merino wool against my skin. I use the Sitka wool boxers, usually an Icebreaker top, Smartwool socks and a Minus 33 beanie. I tried some wool outerwear from Cabela's a few years ago. But, just too heavy and bulky.

wytx

WKR
Been wearing my KOM for about 25 years now, just wondering of any of the synthetics last that long.
My Bushman shirt and Bowhunter coat are my go to later season. The pants are heavy but very warm.
Look on Ebay for deals on used stuff.
Weatherby and Columbia also made some good wool clothing.
You might also find some Sleeping Indian on Ebay.
Biggest thing is how you wash them and hang to dry, stretch out the wool after the wash in cold water and hang dry.
You also might find some Filson camo online, LL Bean also had some good camo wool. A good plaid pattern also works well .

I used to have the Columbia Gallatin wool but wind would blow right through it, so I sold it.

mike464

FNG
Filson, King of the Mountain, and Sleeping Indian Designs will all last your lifetime. I used nothing but wool with a set of gortex bibs and jacket on 10 day backcountry trips up into BC. By the third trip I'd worn out the Northface bibs, but my wool gear is still perfect.

Mossy

WKR
What brand of wool are you choosing ?

For baselayers I use icebreaker mostly. For outer stuff I buy “vintage” woolrich/Pendleton jackets/shirts/cruisers(which equates to made in the USA). I also have a pair of big bill(made in Canada) pants that have been awesome. Sometimes I’ll buy some older tops and have the wife turn them into vests

akrdkill

WKR
LL BEAN has some good looking wool & also wool/primaloft been that I've been thinking about

LL BEAN has some good looking wool & also wool/primaloft been that I've been thinking about
I thought their wind blocker stuff was noisy and returned them. I got a pair of their regular wool pants too I like but think they'd be a burr magnet in the woods.

BCD

WKR
I have gray wolf in predator and Day One Camo in ASAT wool. I prefer the Day One and it is much cheaper.