Wooltimate or First Lite Solitude

crl

FNG
I am looking to replace my Midwest cold weather kit. It will be used for stationary hunting primarily so I want something pretty warm.

I am currently split between Cabelas wooltimate and first lite solitude bibs and jacket. I have some first lite gear I’m a fan of, but like the idea of wool. If anyone has any other suggestions I’d love to hear them. Price isn’t much of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I’d have the first lite sanctuary bibs and jacket. Really, really warm and I can still shoot my bow comfortably. I’d recommend them to anyone.

No experience with the wooltimate, or the solitude but I’d look at sanctuary if you hunt when it’s really cold out.

OP
crl

crl

FNG
I’m in Missouri so some opening morning can get down as low as zero. I’ll definitely add the Sanctuary set up to my list of possibilities, thanks.

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have any first hand experience with the solitude stuff, but a buddy has some and it doesn’t look like it’d be warm enough for my liking on a tree stand hunt mid to late season. I have the old Woodbury jacket they discontinued and would recommend it, in fact I’m always checking the classifieds for a back up. The Sitka stuff is better at stopping wind in my experience, but I haven’t tried the sanctuary stuff. As a budget option, I still wear a lot of natural gear wind proof fleece into early-mid November, or if there’s a warm spell.

Reactions: crl

Wrench

WKR
I have the wooltimate stand hunter jacket. I've worked on the north slope of Alaska and that jacket is as warm as anything I was ever issued.

OP
crl

crl

FNG
I have the wooltimate stand hunter jacket. I've worked on the north slope of Alaska and that jacket is as warm as anything I was ever issued.

I really like the idea of wool for warmth and being quiet. Not to mention the wooltimate gear is quite a bit cheaper.

Agross

WKR
I have the wooltimate pants and vest and love em. Warm and quiet. I also have the Woodbury coat . In my mind , one of the best hunting coats ever for my hunting. I've looked into the sanctuary set , but so far I haven't needed it.

I’ve had the Wooltimate and Sanctuary. I can’t attest to the Wooltimate stand hunter series, but the regular Wooltimate with windshear served a purpose. It was great until down about 20, then I really had to layer under it. If it got wet from rain or sweat (it doesn’t breathe well), it becomes quite heavy. It will pick up every burr within 10ft of your walking path...and they don’t come out easy.

The FL sanctuary is far more breathable and the shooters cut is a better design. Also a big fan of the leg and butt zips on the bibs as to not overheat walking in. The material seems to repel water and burrs way better than the wool. It is warmer than the Wooltimate.

Both sets are nearly silent. I think the Wooltimate cuts wind better, but not by much. They will both do the job, but FL will do the job better. It now goes with me every late fall.

I hunt northern IL from the trees.

Wrench

WKR
I have the regular wooltimate vest and jacket too. I wore the wooltimate jacket in a steady drizzle (1/4" of rain over 5 hours) and as long as I kept my temperature up, I stayed dry. It transferred moisture well for me. It will get heavier and it is the fuzzy side of velcro.

The regular jacket is good to 35-40* with a single base layer for me, but I'm a cold dude.

The parka, is in a league of it's own. It weighs 5ish pounds and you simply cannot get cold in it as long as your heart beats.....but don't expect to wear it while hiking. You will be a sweaty mess or burst into flames.

I shoot a longbow wearing both pieces and an arm guard.

tonedover

FNG
Midwest ? Solitude not warm enough by rifle season if you sit out more than a couple hours
My opinion of course

BluMtn

WKR
I have the Wooltimate with windshear and with longs on I have sat out in Montana at -10 and been comfortable. Yes they attract burrs, but a small price to pay.

I have the a Wooltimate set and the FL Sanctuary set, also the Woodbury. I hunt Wisconsin and NE Iowa.

Wooltimate is heavy duty and breaks the wind better. I like it better for gun season. Too warm to move in.

FL is lighter weight, quieter, and better designed for archery and being in a tree stand. I think the Woodbury is almost a perfect mid-to late season bow hunting jacket. I haven’t tried FL newer models that replaced it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mosadalee

FNG
I have wooltimate bibs and the FL Solitude set. The wooltimate are good but attract everything in the woods to them. More than regular wool. I would suggest using Filson or others if you want wool. Wooltimate is good, but not near the quality of others. Solitude is a good mid weight treestand option. It isn't really comparable to wool in my opinion but is more comfortable.

People get bent out of shape about no windbreaker in the solitude. I love it for 20s-40's type weather stationary in a treestand. I want to love wool more, but it simply isn't as comfortable.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised Sitka really wasn't mentioned. The fanatic set is exactly what your looking for, could also go incinerator. Is the a better looking camo? Not too mention the Sitka reputation that comes with the hefty price tag.