Work And Nutrition On A Budget

So here's the deal, I work kind of a crazy schedule. On call 24/7 for 16 days, then 4 days off. I travel all over the PA/OH/WV area and live basically in a truck when I'm on. The 16 days or sometimes more that I work sticking to eating healthy and exercising can be very hard to do. I've cut out fast food and energy drinks almost a year ago but eating good can get expensive when only buying food at Sheetz, gas stations, ect.

Here's what I want to do but I need ideas. I want to get more serious about a cleaner, high protein, low carb/sugar diet when I'm working, while not breaking the bank. But I need food that will keep for a few days without getting disgusting in a cooler or unrefrigerated. I have a short list started, but what would you stock up on at Walmart or the grocery store to make it living out of your truck for a week while spending less than, let's say $30 a day.

LostArra

WKR
Unless you have lactose problems I would suggest whole MILK.

about $2.50 for 128 gm of protein. I like Ovaltine for dessert. Good hot or cold.

How big is the truck? Maybe a different spin on the coin would be could a small refrigerator/freezer be carried in it? These units are pretty common among truckers. Pre cook and freeze steak, chicken breast etc.. defrost and eat.

*zap*

WKR
Foil package tuna/mix in some extra virgin olive oil.
Raw almond butter/keep in cooler after opening.
Good cage free eggs/keep in cooler.
Small cans of black beans.
Avocados.
Small tins of sardines.
Grass fed burger/keep in cooler.
Protein drinks.
Apples/oranges/pears.
Chicken strips/keep in cooler.
Broccoli/asparagus.

A good quality medium sized cooler will keep ice for a while and a canister stove/some camping cookwear is all you need. I use a canister stove to make lunch at work sometimes.

E-Zily under $20 a day.

OP
lyle_destroys
How big is the truck? Maybe a different spin on the coin would be could a small refrigerator/freezer be carried in it? These units are pretty common among truckers. Pre cook and freeze steak, chicken breast etc.. defrost and eat.
4 door Chevy 2500, one of my friends ran a mini fridge and it took up more space than I would like. I sleep in here a lot of the time too lol.

OP
lyle_destroys
Foil package tuna/mix in some extra virgin olive oil.
Raw almond butter/keep in cooler after opening.
Good cage free eggs/keep in cooler.
Small cans of black beans.
Avocados.
Small tins of sardines.
Grass fed burger/keep in cooler.
Protein drinks.
Apples/oranges/pears.
Chicken strips/keep in cooler.
Broccoli/asparagus.

A good quality medium sized cooler will keep ice for a while and a canister stove/some camping cookwear is all you need. I use a canister stove to make lunch at work sometimes.

E-Zily under $20 a day.
I dont know why I never thought of bringing a stove with me, it always goes with me in the woods.

fmyth

WKR
Soylent is $1.50 a serving (powder) and is a complete meal. I had Soylent for breakfast and lunch and then a regular whole food meal for dinner for 30 days and felt great. I tried the pre mixed Soylent in single serving bottles and couldn't tolerate it.

slick

WKR
I lived out of my truck for a bit doing seasonal work on and off for a few summers. With a dog. And still do from time to time given work duties.

I used a small yeti, and a Coleman two burner stove. Brought one pot. One pan. But you could use a jet boil/pocket rocket, etc.

Hard boil eggs the day before you leave. Make bacon and throw it in a ziplock bag. Eat a slice of bacon and an egg or two in the mornings. The bacon has enough salt that you won’t need to dress your egg up. 16 days is getting a little long, but if so, could stop at a grocery store on day 7-8? and hard boiling eggs, isn’t hard, could make bacon quick too.

The biggest thing I’ve found is fruits and veggies go bad. But if you’re able to stop at a grocery store once in that 16 day window, you should do alright. Peppers, raw broccoli and hummus. Could do hummus powder and make your own daily with a splash of water. I enjoy nut thins. Head of lettuce, pre-cooked chicken breast, slice of cheese, avocado, some cumin, cayenne pepper and make little lettuce boats.

Almonds, berries, snap peas. Any mixed nut.
Canned chicken, or packets of tuna/salmon. Meal prep would solve the first 7 days problems. Kind of sucks to do though. Cooler is worth the space. Use it as a table. Stack your grill/stove on top of it. Tailgate down, cook, back on top. Slide it length wise into your bed.

I’m a sucker for dried mangos as well. Dark chocolate and some natural PB.

Coconut oil in your coffee too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
My wife's family owns a dairy farm. We drink plenty of milk lol.

Ha! $2.50 a gallon probably seems outrageous

Dealing with cans, tins and other containers is a pain unless they can be re-used like milk jugs. If it won't travel in a zip lock bag then I don't take it. Exception would be fresh fruit that doesn't require a container.

OP
lyle_destroys
I lived out of my truck for a bit doing seasonal work on and off for a few summers. With a dog. And still do from time to time given work duties.

I used a small yeti, and a Coleman two burner stove. Brought one pot. One pan. But you could use a jet boil/pocket rocket, etc.

Hard boil eggs the day before you leave. Make bacon and throw it in a ziplock bag. Eat a slice of bacon and an egg or two in the mornings. The bacon has enough salt that you won’t need to dress your egg up. 16 days is getting a little long, but if so, could stop at a grocery store on day 7-8? and hard boiling eggs, isn’t hard, could make bacon quick too.

The biggest thing I’ve found is fruits and veggies go bad. But if you’re able to stop at a grocery store once in that 16 day window, you should do alright. Peppers, raw broccoli and hummus. Could do hummus powder and make your own daily with a splash of water. I enjoy nut thins. Head of lettuce, pre-cooked chicken breast, slice of cheese, avocado, some cumin, cayenne pepper and make little lettuce boats.

Almonds, berries, snap peas. Any mixed nut.
Canned chicken, or packets of tuna/salmon. Meal prep would solve the first 7 days problems. Kind of sucks to do though. Cooler is worth the space. Use it as a table. Stack your grill/stove on top of it. Tailgate down, cook, back on top. Slide it length wise into your bed.

I’m a sucker for dried mangos as well. Dark chocolate and some natural PB.

Coconut oil in your coffee too

When I'm out, often times I can stop at a grocery store every few days. So I dont need to keep fresh food in my cooler for more than a couple days. I've never had hummus before. And what's the coconut oil in the coffee for? Daily fat needs?

slick

WKR
Yeah, hummus to me adds a little bit of flavor and moisture to food.

Coconut oil in the coffee seems to sustain a suppressed appetite longer. Maybe it’s placebo?

BWG13

Lil-Rokslider
16 days is quite awhile to plan for food. Some ideas from RV camping trips. Taking along a Coleman camp stove or canister stove should help open up some options.

MEALS
- Whole wheat spaghetti, meatballs, and jarred/canned sauce
- Canned chicken quesadillas (tortillas last a long time a cooler)
- Precook a pork loin, shred, and freeze in individual bags. Can be used for pulled pork sandwiches or tacos with the same tortillas from quesadillas
- Instant brown rice
- Tortilla, precooked bacon, almond, butter, and a little honey in a rollup (tastes better than you'd think)
- Canned salmon patties for salmon burgers
- Egg, deli meat, spinach and cheese omelet (deli meat tends to last a decent time in a cooler as well and can be used for snacks or sandwiches)

SNACKS
Beef/elk/venison jerky
Unsalted nuts
Tuna packs
Precooked bacon from Sam's Club/Costco seems to last for quite awhile
Apples and almond butter
Summer sausage and cheddar cheese

Block

WKR
The tuna packets in a bag are awesome.. sometimes you can find them for a dollar and stock up! The jalapeño is my fav,, lemon pepper is good too. Great for hikes/hunts or just when ur out and don’t have time to cook

The tuna and salmon packs at Walmart are awesome. Different flavors and sizes. I eat them on crackers, salads , and right out of the bag for cheap.