Work and travel backpack

Graeme

FNG
I’ve been looking on the site a little over the last few days before going to work. I work on boats and fly out with maybe a computer and two binders that I need. I like to carry some food a water bottle and a sweatshirt. I will bring a book if it fits.

I am wondering what a good option for a bag is. It isn’t hunting related at all but I’m using a 15 year old school backpack that is about to fail because I haven’t cared yet.

I’m looking for something durable and maybe water resistant without too much going on. Nothing like a daypack with all the straps.

Any suggestions are very welcome. I’m headed out today for a month and I might not be able to get back on but I am looking for something when I get back because I leave after a week and don’t think this one will make it long

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I use an Osprey for my day and work pack, it’s light, has enough room for my tablet and a couple binders, strap my water bottle to the side. Also has a built in internal rain fly pocket that I’ve used to add protection to my electronics when I get caught in rain or snow. It’s a Manta 20. I really like Osprey for there separation of the pack and your back with there web like frame, keeps my back from getting sweaty when in buildings, or hot days outside. They have various sizes too, and I’ve had this one for about 5 years so I know they’ve updated but it’s held up great.

OP
G

Graeme

FNG
I will take a look at osprey. I do like their back webbing separated from the pack but I haven’t owned one, the wife does.
Putting things in a plastic bag wouldn’t be a huge deal,

thanks

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I will take a look at osprey. I do like their back webbing separated from the pack but I haven’t owned one, the wife does.
Putting things in a plastic bag wouldn’t be a huge deal,

thanks

I found a deal on mine on steep and cheap, you can normally find quite a few different places, I want to say I paid around 80 for mine. The supplied rain fly that comes with mine works great, never had an issue when I’ve had to use it.

Last edited:
I run an Osprey porter as well for business trips, I like the fact that on mine I can carry everything I need for a week as carry on, but if they make me gate check it I can tuck in all the straps so nothing gets torn off.

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
eBay/ craigslist is loaded with used Osprey packs. Get something in the 40 liters or less size. I use them for good intro packs especially for kids. My wife loves her Lowe Alpine as her travel/ everyday pack

For work/personal travel (excluding hunting) I only use Swiss Gear. I typically travel 300+ days a year and average 250K miles flown a year. My destinations are not always "pristine" office environments.

I'll get a Swiss Gear backpack to last 3-4 years with a lot of abuse. I'll get a Swiss Gear carry-on to last 4-5 years.

OP
G

Graeme

FNG
Thanks for the info. Ill give a look around and see what works best.

nastynick

FNG
I like the military style backpacks for my work. I bike or walk to work and usually have my laptop, rain jacket, water, and notepad along with other small things. I carry a Mystery Ranch Assault 2 and it gets the job done alright.

I've got a North Face pack that I believe is an older version of the link below... I normally drive about 30k miles and take 50-60 flights per year. What I really like about the model I have is the side zipper that lets you pull out your laptop without having to have a yard sale. The straps on the outside are nice for coats and the pocket on the lid is great for misc items. I can do a 2-3 day trip with just this bag (assuming I wear the same pants and shoes the whole time :rolleyes:).

What I don't like is the model I have does not have a side pocket for a water bottle and the durability is a little questionable. The one I have has served me well, but I'll probably explore other options once Uncle Sugar lets me travel again.

OP
G

Graeme

FNG
I’ll take a look at that. I want to see some of their packs in person.

ihunt2eat

FNG
I use a 30L Timbuk2 backpack that I got on sale and it's been going strong for 4 years now. Not 100% waterproof but it is pretty water resistant and holds a lot more stuff than you'd expect just by looking at it. I'd recommend any of their packs for durability and looks-good-enough-to-take-to-work-ness.

OP
G

Graeme

FNG
I’ll take a look at everything before I head out and lose service. Thanks for all the tips.

Vertx and mystery ranch offer some good options. Currently I have a maxpedition gearslinger that I use for going to/from work. They aren't waterproof but they are solidly built

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an Osprey Stratos 36, my wife has the Stratos 34. They are both the older model. Both have been used quite a bit for travel as carry on (and usually only) bags. They are comfortable and have held up well to several years of use. If you get the small size, it meets carry-on size requirements for every airline I have looked at, including European budget airlines.

prm

WKR
I recently picked up a Kifaru Antero. I have gone through many bags and have to say I really like this one.

Thanks for posting... after reading other's advice, I pulled the trigger on an Osprey Porter 30. Going to retire the old North Face and give this one a whirl.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I've owned the Everki Versa Premium for 2-3 months now and like it quite a bit.

It is water resistant. I’ve worn the bag when it was raining (with an umbrella) and saw that water beaded up on the fabric. I’m sure it would benefit from a scotch guard treatment down the road, but not for quite a while.

On the strap issue, I will say that it does sit a bit wide on my shoulders. It takes some getting used to, but it’s not to the extent that it’s falling off. I’m 5’9” and 145lbs with a relatively narrow frame. My boss’s boss happens to have this bag, also; he’s quite a bit wider than me and finds it comfortable.

You’re correct that it’s not the lightest bag out there, but I think it is due to the structure the bag has and the pretty heavy padding in the laptop/table compartment. If you have a heavy laptop, that will certainly exacerbate things. I personally just went from a Lenovo T420 to a T440 and frankly do feel a difference.

The sunglass compartment is big enough for sport sunglasses which aren’t low profile when folded, so plenty of room for “regular” sunglasses. I usually keep my sunglasses in its separate case and use that compartment for my MiFi device, headphones, chewing gum, and lip balm.

I avoided the larger Everki bags because they’re massive and were not appealing to me aesthetically.

Another bag I strongly considered was the Tenba Roadie Executive. No sunglass compartment, but still many great features, like the waterproof bottom panel. Also, at 2.8lbs, much lighter than the Everki.

The first Samsonite you listed looks nice; certainly an interesting laptop compartment with the blue “protection studs” and just the strap to hold the laptop in place, rather than a pocket. Note that the sunglass pocket is fabric, unlike the hard shell compartment on the Everki, which I find useful.