Work/Business Truck Recommendations Sought

Crusader

WKR
Hi guys. My brother-in-law needs a truck for his business, which involves furniture making. Occasionally he'll have to haul stuff and he usually will rent a small u-haul trailer to tow behind his SUV (which he'll get rid of after getting a truck) and occasionally he has to rent a u-haul truck for larger stuff. What he wants is to have his own truck to haul small stuff in the bed and then occasionally tow a trailer. What he's looking for is a single cab (not 4-doors), 8-foot bed, plain Jane, most likely, 2WD. This I think is the rarity these days with everyone wanting crew cab type trucks with luxurious features. He pretty much wants/needs the opposite. While I don't know his exact budget, he's probably looking for something in the 2015 or earlier years, with under 100k miles on it. Gas powered, not diesel. Probably would prefer a 6-cylinder for fuel economy purposes and because he'll never tow anything truly heavy. 4WD might be considered if cost isn't generally too much more than 2WD. Auto transmission.

So, what are your recommendations as far as year, make, model, and engine? Thanks for your time!

I have had great luck with my 2015 Ram 1500. I have about 155,000 miles on mine now and havent had any issues with it. I just looked up what a brand new regular cab 2wd runs and they are about 27k where I bought my truck. Good luck with your search.

nobody

WKR
For the money, it's hard to beat GM's LS/LT based engines for ease of maintenance and longevity. They've been building them for a long freaking time. If he buys a 5.3, they've been putting them in their trucks and large SUV's since like 1998. The good thing is if you ever have issues, you just go to a pick and pull and buy a used engine for nothing because there's so many of them on the market. They're also notoriously strong, people frequently throw turbos on them and push 800 HP through the stock engines without much work. They have their known issues, but most any mechanic can work on them without any problems. There's a reason so many guys LS swap everything.

With those spec’s it really doesn’t matter. Whichever truck he likes the most. I’d personally stay away from the 5.7 Hemi, otherwise it’s all fair game. Those spec’d are just so easy that brand won’t really matter.

I’ve been through a few 1500 Silverado work trucks and loved them... you can probably find a steal on a single cab long box like the ones I sold for under $8k. I can’t bring myself to get into a Ford or a Dodge, hopefully that doesn’t make anyone feel hurt 🤣.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend a v6 f150. There's either the 3.5L or 2.7L. They are great trucks and sound like they will be perfect for his needs. Single cab will be tough though.

Why not a van? I really like dry storage. Don't know what the size is of the furniture he makes but I'd be looking at a van to keep things dry.

Rental agency's selling inventory will provide a better price.

def90

WKR
I have a Dodge Dakota for my work truck that I bought for the same reasons, crew cab 2 door and longer 6ft bed that I have put more in to repairs over the years than the cost of the truck itself. It has become one of those things where you are so deep in it that you can't walk away as stupid as it seems.

Should have spent the money on the Toyota Tacoma instead.