Work in California but own property out of state

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Do your homework on tags. I own a farm in IL and don't get "free" tags simply because we own property there. I do get a better deal on tags but the tags are NR property only tags. Been in the 909 of So Cal for 20 years.
Never said the landowner tags were free in my post if you read that. All I said is I can get allocated landowner tags.

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a general in the bay area as well. Before the big crash the spec houses I was doing in the Oakland Hills were going very well and I was considering the same thing. I remember a conversation I had with my great uncle who was a colorful guy who had success logging in CA and bought property in Baja and Oregon( moved there) for investment and fishing. He said "you may be one hell of a builder but you don't know chit about running a ranch from 1,000 miles away." He thought I'd go crazy keeping the place above water from that far away. I didn't end up doing it and looking back I'm glad. I'm about to turn 49 and have two young kids. I would rather travel around seeing different places (fishing, hunting or vacation) with them then going to the same place all the time which is what we'd do if we had a ranch out of state. I could see going in on a small place somewhere out of state to go to a few times a year but a big place seems tough now unless I moved there.

Sorry for the long winded response. You sound like a smart guy and a worker so I'm sure you could make it happen but you may end up doing more work there than really enjoying the hunting. If it was me while I was working here I would put money wisely in real estate here. When it's time to go the cash from real estate here will go a really long way in other states. Between the out of state drawings and landowner tags you can hunt all you want until the move.
Thanks I’m gonna think long and hard about what you said.

Marble

WKR
Getting caught with two drivers licenses from different states is a trip to jail.
It's actually not. It's possible to do, you just have to prove residency based on employment and land ownership etc.

Almost all the states communicate and know even this happens.

You can also have dual citizenship in say Mexico and the US. I've only know one person thst does thst but it's possible.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
A number of states make having more than one driver's license illegal. For example, California Vehicle Code §12511 states, “no person shall have in his or her possession or otherwise under his or her control more than one driver's license.”Mar 6, 2018

amassi

WKR
A number of states make having more than one driver's license illegal. For example, California Vehicle Code §12511 states, “no person shall have in his or her possession or otherwise under his or her control more than one driver's license.”Mar 6, 2018
That's to crack down on fake id not interstate transportation. Lots of military members have 3 sets of I'd on them(home state, duty station, military)
California will prosecute you for driving a registered Nevada vehicle in ca for more that 6 months of the year.
My neighbors own property in NV, register their vehicles there but live here a little more than half the year. Dmv caught up with them, put locks on their tires and sent them a bill for 4 years back registration.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
From my experience that's talking about a CA DL. In other words having two CA DLs. You are required to surrender any expired or other DLs if you get a duplicate.

To qualify for a landowners license in Wyoming you must have at least 2000 use days per year for the species of big game you are requesting (applying for) a license for. You are not required to just hunt your property, you are allowed to hunt the entire hunt area.

There may be some changes coming to the landowner license process. Probably a few years off, however.

ClearCreek

Do it in Az, as it's much closer. Get a lifetime Ca license, then claim Az residency and you can then legally hunt both states as a resident.

ewade07

WKR
Its not normal, but I've seen vehicles registered in two different states. You can have a driver license in different states too. Im sure there are work arounds.
Work arounds? Please dont endorse illegal activity.

ODB

WKR
“The reason many Californians, and you can add western Oregon and Western Washington, are not welcomed with open hugs and safe spaces is because they bring a selfish attitude and little to no respect to the culture, the land, the resource, and the low crime that brought them to this great state. They come to take, rather than embrace, enhance, and assimilate to what already exists here.“

Yup. I’ve lived in Idaho twice and will again - hopefully very soon. I’m from nowhere, but when I moved to Idaho as a young dude I found exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t have to change a thing.

Beendare

WKR
I'm also a contractor in the SF East Bay. I too am considering property out of state. The problem is income derived in CA through your business or rental property still gets taxed at the very high Ca rates.

I've known guys that tried to do the due citizenship for tags....and it didn't work out well. One buddy had dual residency in AZ and Co. He had a ranch out of Pagosa Springs and a business in Tuscon. The problem came when he drew a top AZ elk license and a CO draw license for mule deer the same year.

It turns out, the AZ F&G cross checks these tags and came knocking on his door looking for him in AZ. They called the CO game and Fish then they were on his ass too. Then there was the issue of some ranch income...a big mess. He did a deal through his attorney and turned in both tags squeaking out of it.

I have very high net worth friends that are residents of other states and still have a place here with businesses and such. Its a tight wire act for sure as the one guy gets audited every stinking year.

____