Work Sharp sharpeners

Do any of you use a Work Sharp power sharpener..... in particular the “Ken Onion model”? If so how do you like it?

Also..... What blade angle are you putting your hunting knives? What about pocket or EDC knives?

thx in advance!

WYCFM1

WKR
Ground blade with low grit diamond 20° then run up to high grit diamond on 20° final hone and polish stone at 25°....25° seems to be my best happy medium between edge retention and sharpness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I own one along with a several other sharpeners. Too many to be exact! It works pretty good and is relatively fast. It gives you a convex edge which seems to work good. For EDC and hunting knives I use the 25 deg setting and for my filet knives I put it on the 18-20 deg setting. For my higher carbide knives like M390, Elmax and S30V I use my Edge Pro Apex sharpener. I believe overall that it works better for me but since I already have the worksharp, I mainly use it on my filet, pocket, sissors and other utility knives because it is faster.

I use it and like it a lot. I use the chart it comes with, easy easy. I find the 20* to be crazy sharp.

OP
B
The worksharp puts a Convex edge on the blade.... correct? If so.... How does that translate when you go to the handheld Worksharp Feild sharpener that is designed for a flat edge?

example.... you sharpen at home on the Work sharp Ken onion power sharpener to a 20 degree or a 25 degree edge that is convex. You are in the field/woods and you need to touch up or sharpen your knife and all you have is the Worksharp Field sharpener(or any other flat stone). Does this have an negative effect on your blade/edge integrity?

Shraggs

WKR
Use Ken onion, with the larger horizontal attachment. Another 100 bucks but I prefer to see the edge as I grind and it’s easier to put less belt defection on blade so you don’t have too much convex. They work well either way. Standard model be gentle at tip you could round it.

All my knife are convex. In the field, I carry small white ceramic to touch edge (understand tangent just the very sharp gets touched by flat sharpening medium). Then I follow with leather strop with 1000 grit sand paper the the leather with black compound. The later two you hold less than your blade edge. Ie if 20 degrees hold around 10 ish.

I agree with above. Hunting knives 22-25. If it’s super thick knife I’ll run 20-22.

I use 20* for most. That way the field sharpener is the same. The KO is super easy to use. I do use the field sharpener a lot and get blades shaving sharp.

Wassid82

WKR
I love mine. but I dont use it for my hunting knives. I use it for all the kitchen cutlery and its easy and fast. I can do everything we need for our home in about 20 minutes. Helps the cutlery hold an edge for a couple of months and then I do it again.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
I have found that I have a learning curve with mine. I can't seem to get consistent results using the guides. I'm just going to need some practice and patience, I suspect. I did successfully put a nice edge on a set of mower blades freehand.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a Ken onion one, I havnt used it yet but hopefully in the next few days I’ll get an edge back on some old knives.

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Have the Ken O as well.... love the thing. If you take your time and follow that guide with alternating passes I’ve found the edges to be true and very sharp. From the TV tray to the tarp tent I’ve had successes. Remove the guide and free hand axes and as mentioned mower blades. My only con is .... it went on sale a week after I bought it Hahahaha.
Wife loves sharp kitchen knives. So I guess this gadget was approved by the boss too :)

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmeis

FNG
I put electrical tape on the guide surface and change after every few knives sharpened. I found that the metal powder residue will collect there and scratch the knife blade. Most knives it doesn't matter really but the nice kitchen knives made of Damascus get scratches pretty bad.

Koterman

FNG
I have the Ken Onion one and its awesome. Highly recommend getting the blade grinder attachment for it. Much easier to use, get more consistent results, and less likely to round the tip on your knife.

Also, practice on old crappy knives before sharpening any of your nice expensive ones.

Worksharps kind of freak me out! It would be great to set an edge to a damaged blade, but I'd rather fine tune by hand. I feel like I would be grinding away my valuable steel every time I needed a touch up. So yes it takes longer, but I spent the money on good stones instead, and spent the time to practice doing it well.

Are use mine mainly for pocket knives and for kitchen and fillet knives. My other sharpening systems don’t do well with very flexible blades like fillet knives. The ken onion is fast!

I use mine a lot. Mostly on kitchen and butchering knives. I still use a Lansky on some of my favorite knives. I find myself liking it more and more. I can sharpen ten kitchen knives in under 30 minutes. Touch up is a bit of an issue. Haven’t found a great way to do that in the filed. A steel helps. Working on a strop but haven’t gotten the technique down.

The video for the blade grinder attachment shows no guide. It shows a guy holding a knife horizontally but freehand. Doesn’t seem any better than a belt sander. I have the KO sharpener and I’m not impressed with the blade guide. It’s small and curved at the bottom. But what makes the attachment any better with no guide at all?

I’m thinking about making a little guide that screws to a workbench that goes up over top of the sharpener and holds the knife at 90 degrees for more consistency. Thoughts?

Shraggs

WKR
The blade attachment has a tiny flat table to set the blade flat, then lift to the moving belt holding it level. Yes it’s learning curve, but you can put less weight or belt deflection on the edge and see what your doing. Much easier to stop tip in middle of belt, and not round it. But it is some learning vs std Ken onion. But I dislike std version cause tips aren’t supported by guide edge. Always use slow speed except for 12k grit.

someone mentioned stones, I always use water stones to repair or reprofle an edge. Far to easy to mess up on belt. Then I move to belt grinder, then leather.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The video for the blade grinder attachment shows no guide. It shows a guy holding a knife horizontally but freehand. Doesn’t seem any better than a belt sander. I have the KO sharpener and I’m not impressed with the blade guide. It’s small and curved at the bottom. But what makes the attachment any better with no guide at all?

I’m thinking about making a little guide that screws to a workbench that goes up over top of the sharpener and holds the knife at 90 degrees for more consistency. Thoughts?

I have this grinder attachment, and I think an additional guide is unnecessary. The reference table is enough to gauge off.

I just run the blade across a couple times, raise the burr, flip and repeat the strokes. Repeat with the fine belt, and finish on the strop.

Hair-poppin sharp in no time. I don’t think I will use the standard KO sharpening attachment anymore.