Working in Agriculture - Hunting Out of State

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone, I'm a bow hunter primarily (traditional), and I'm fired up to go hunt out of state, but I have just about the worst job in the world for doing that. We harvest corn and soybeans, and the harvest season is generally from September to as long as Thanksgiving/end of November. I'm happy to put in points for places, but what hunts are out there that I can make work outside of that time frame, or if we get a rainy spell in the middle of it, I can take some time off on a whim and go hunt somewhere. I'm not really worried about species/trophy class either, I just want to get out there.

This is a family business, and I have a lot of opportunity where I'm at, so "just find a new job" isn't necessarily as easy of an option for me.

I appreciate your help.

WCB

WKR
There are still some Archery seasons open in December not far from you that are OTC or you basically need to purchase before a certain date/online. little hint there is a North and a South one.

I have a bunch of friends that are either Agronomists and also farm or work in the industry but always seem to manage to get hunting somewhere out o state (might help we are in MN and the Dakotas so everything is wrapping up in the next week or so.)

CorbLand

WKR
New Mexico has aoudad hunts in December - February.

Arizona late season elk tags.

Utah has some cow elk tags that run into January.

Wolves in Idaho is open pretty much year round.

How’s your springs? Idaho spring bear comes to mind and it’s OTC in a lot of places.

Hear you on not having September and October to hunt. Fire season takes my hunting opportunity from me quite often.

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
How’s your springs? Idaho spring bear comes to mind and it’s OTC in a lot of places.

Hear you on not having September and October to hunt. Fire season takes my hunting opportunity from me quite often.
Springs can be iffy depending on the weather for planting season. I've looked at Idaho bear quite a bit, would love to get out there and see some. I definitely have potential to ask off work a bit easier in the spring it seems. Thanks for reminding me about Idaho bears

hobbes

WKR
Archery Antelope starts in August in most Western States. Early September archery elk or mule deer may work but probably depends on the year. In Southern Illinois we/they didn't usually get going hard on corn until late September. My brother is still in agriculture so can never get a hunt planned with me here in the West.

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
Archery Antelope starts in August in most Western States. Early September archery elk or mule deer may work but probably depends on the year. In Southern Illinois we/they didn't usually get going hard on corn until late September. My brother is still in agriculture so can never get a hunt planned with me here in the West.

It’s usually mid September to late September when we start, we have a dryer for corn though so depending on when it gets planted we may be able to start a bit earlier. That’s the problem though, it’s hard to plan that September time frame because it’s not always cut and dry when we will start. Unless I can buy my tag within a month of leaving September can potentially be tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
It’s usually mid September to late September when we start, we have a dryer for corn though so depending on when it gets planted we may be able to start a bit earlier. That’s the problem though, it’s hard to plan that September time frame because it’s not always cut and dry when we will start. Unless I can buy my tag within a month of leaving September can potentially be tough.

That'll work for a Colorado OTC archery elk tag unless CO changes their system some day. You can buy the license when you arrive anywhere they sell licenses.

CO also has OTC rifle tags in October but you probably can't pull away then unless it's a really wet year. Even then, it's not easy to walk away from the work that you know needs to be done.

you said out of state, not just out west. so possibly look at Mississippi some areas open till feb. 15 for archery, Alabama has some areas open till feb. 20.

Ive never personally hunted either, but they are the latest open whitetail states i believe and you should be able to run into so pigs in most of those states.

Scoot

WKR
Are there particular animals you'd like to hunt? If I were in your shoes I'd decide what my top 3 animals I'd like to chase are, then start looking at what options I have given the work/farming schedule.

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
Are there particular animals you'd like to hunt? If I were in your shoes I'd decide what my top 3 animals I'd like to chase are, then start looking at what options I have given the work/farming schedule.

Not necessarily animal specific. Just looking for more opportunities to hunt in general with archery equipment

I face the same battle. I have bought landowners vouchers the couple years I saw corn was going to be mid sept firing up and hunted opening week. Been contemplating the nm audad hunts.

jmav58

WKR
Instead of finding different hunt times, find different crops. Put winter wheat and winter canola on every acre and free up your fall!

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
Come kill a woof or two in MT. Season is open I believe until March...15th?

If I don’t know much about out of state hunting in general, I know absolutely zero about wolf hunting haha. Sounds interesting though! Do you have any good resources for that kind of hunting?

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
I face the same battle. I have bought landowners vouchers the couple years I saw corn was going to be mid sept firing up and hunted opening week. Been contemplating the nm audad hunts.

I’m going to private message you