Working into traditional archery

Lowg08

WKR
I am working towards using a traditional bow. I’m having a hard time understanding now length and draw length. My compound bows are 29.5 in. Draw. I have a locksley puma 62” recurve at 50#. It says 28” on it. Do I need something longer? I have no clue. Im wanting to start putting in the practice to be able to ethically hunt with it or a bow of the correct size and length. Any help would be appreciated.

Felix40

WKR
The 28” just means that the draw weight is 50# at 28”. Add about 3 pounds for every inch past 28” that the bow is drawn. So you are probably pulling 54# if you are actually drawing 29.5”. A 62” recurve is fine for your draw length but I wouldn’t go any shorter, especially with vintage bows like that. Bow length is largely preference.

oldgoat

WKR
That's just the standard measuring point, if you draw longer than that you are going to pull more weight, generally 2-3# per inch. At some point though, the angle of the string will match the angle of the limbs and you will then lose leverage and they limbs will stack and that 2-3# per inch will multiply drastically, think of hitting the wall on your compound. You likely won't have that problem with your draw length.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’m really only wanting to learn on this. It’s too old and vintage to hunt with. What bows are good to look at for a more every time use. I’m thinking I may prefer a long bow maybe?

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
Absolutely nothing wrong with hunting with old bows! Biggest thing if you read any other starter trad threads is start with around 30-35# at your draw length and get some kind of lessons, I don't care what your draw on your compound, it's way different with a trad bow, if you are strong and have good form, you will move up in weight fast, but start low! There's plenty of used bows in that weight range for fairly cheap, if you really want to do this buy a cheap light bow to learn on!!!

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
My son has a pse 25# recurve I could start shooting and work into my 50#

oldgoat

WKR
My son has a pse 25# recurve I could start shooting and work into my 50#
If you get the form down, the 50# won't be hard to attain, but most guys go heavy early and they end up short drawing. A 45# bow at full draw potential will shoot the same arrow faster than a 50# bow that's short drawn will!

When I started I got a Hoyt satori and tried a range of limbs to figure out my comfort zone. Then went to wood.

Ddog

WKR
I might get shot for mentioning this, but you can look up Black Hunter on Amazon and for a crispy hundo or a little over get a decent shooting take-down bow when you move up in draw weight. Limbs run around 75 beans when/if you decide you wanna stick with this particular model. Also check out TOPARCHERY they have a nice looking flared riser version, but different limb attachment system. Very nice shooting bows for the scratch, look for bamboo limb cores in the description and go with a US supplier or you could wait a while to get it.

I'm using a 58" BH for my turkey bow this year, I rattle can camoed it to semi-hide the fact that I'm shooting a Chinese bow, and from the turkeys, of course...

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
A friend of mine has already mentioned it. It looks promising to me. Especially considering how rough I am on gear

Deerscat

FNG
Absolutely nothing wrong with hunting with old bows! Biggest thing if you read any other starter trad threads is start with around 30-35# at your draw length and get some kind of lessons, I don't care what your draw on your compound, it's way different with a trad bow, if you are strong and have good form, you will move up in weight fast, but start low! There's plenty of used bows in that weight range for fairly cheap, if you really want to do this buy a cheap light bow to learn on!!!
This☝️

I might get shot for mentioning this, but you can look up Black Hunter on Amazon and for a crispy hundo or a little over get a decent shooting take-down bow when you move up in draw weight. Limbs run around 75 beans when/if you decide you wanna stick with this particular model. Also check out TOPARCHERY they have a nice looking flared riser version, but different limb attachment system. Very nice shooting bows for the scratch, look for bamboo limb cores in the description and go with a US supplier or you could wait a while to get it.

I'm using a 58" BH for my turkey bow this year, I rattle can camoed it to semi-hide the fact that I'm shooting a Chinese bow, and from the turkeys, of course...

No shots from me sir. That’s the bow I suggest every time for someone starting out. It’s a great bow!

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
You can’t beat the price and the quality is great.
I have one and shot a 250# hog with it at only 40# draw weight at my 26” draw. BD0EE64F-6A8D-4CBF-8096-059435D545C3.jpeg

Dskinn

FNG
I’m getting back into trad bow after many years - still have an orange wood bow made for my dad by his uncle. Must be over 70 years old. Still in great shape. I’ve never even considered draw length and/or lbs of pull and I’ve always just shot by feel. Don’t even know what this bow has (could figure out draw length easy enough) but how is lb figured out? Perhaps a stupid question but will be useful when I need to replace it- getting old and harder to pull.

Warmsy

WKR
I’m getting back into trad bow after many years - still have an orange wood bow made for my dad by his uncle. Must be over 70 years old. Still in great shape. I’ve never even considered draw length and/or lbs of pull and I’ve always just shot by feel. Don’t even know what this bow has (could figure out draw length easy enough) but how is lb figured out? Perhaps a stupid question but will be useful when I need to replace it- getting old and harder to pull.
Use a hanging scale-like for fishing. Have somebody make sure you're pulling all the the way to your draw length and read it.