Working on your own bow

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
The thread about equipment failure really got me thinking. I picked up a new bowtech about a month ago and have been having troubles with the rest moving on me, not enough room to tighten it down so was getting ready to head to the bow shop this morning to have them put a new one on. But I should really learn how to do this stuff myself.I don't need to get full on into it but is a cheap "pocket bow press" good enough to tie in pep sights and drop away rests? Who here works on their own bow? How did you learn? What equipment do you feel is necessary? What extras parts do you keep at home, at camp or on you at all times?

Rob5589

WKR
It is, not ideal, but it will work. I used a Bowmaster for nearly 5 years before buying a full sized press. I did strings, peeps, tuning, etc. I made a jig to hold the bow in place as well before buying a bow vise. You're definitely on the right track wanting to diy.

I wouldnt go that route find ya a easy green or bow time machine and your golden watch some school of nock videos and learn all you need to know
Its part of the overall joy of archery!
Youll be tying soft nocks d loops And peepsights in no time. Youll want vise as well for setting up your rest. enjoy

I'm planning to build a "real" bow press someday (linear design similar to LCA EZ Press), but I'm currently getting by with a Bowmaster portable press. I've used it to do string/cable swaps and peep sight installs on my Mathews Heli-m and Hoyt Helix.

Be aware that portable cable presses aren't universally compatible with all bows. You may need make/model specific adapters depending on the limb tip angle and/or cam width of your bow. I had to modify my Bowmaster split limb brackets a bit to make them work with my Hoyt Helix.

A hands-free method of securely holding the bow in place while using a portable press is a major help (if not an outright requirement). I use my Rockwell Jawhorse with rubber jaw pads to grip the bow by the riser while I'm working on it, but there are also made-for-purpose bow vises out there.

YouTube has lots of great (and lots of not-so-great) content for learning how to do your own bow work. The Bow Shop Bible app is probably a worthwhile investment, especially for a new DIY'er.

nphunter

WKR
I started and did a lot of work with a bow master. It really depends if it will work on your bow, some of the newer beyond parallel limbs they don’t work well with or bows with wide limb pockets.
I really wanted to know exactly what was happening with my bow when it wouldn’t shoot right. I started working on my bow a couple years after starting to archery hunt. I now have a wife and two boys that all shoot as well so it made since to learn to work on equipment and buy my own press and draw board.
I really enjoy tinkering and tuning and do it for a lot of friends as well. I also like that I can buy my bows higher end bows and replace mods, limbs, strings, etc as they grow and they can shoot a lot nicer equipment for a lot less than if I had to pay for it.
Its also nice to know enough that you have the knowledge enough so you can fix yours or your buddies equipment in the woods.

I learned some watching the owner of the local pro shop work on my equipment and grill him about what he was doing and why. He has become a friend and we have had a lot of in depth conversations about different setups and tuning. One thing I learned for certain is the amount of detail that goes into tuning a bow to shoot perfect for an individual is too time consuming for any bow shop to set a bow up perfectly for every person. I also learned a ton from reading online, Shane (OnTarget) has posted some great tuning threads on AT and other forms over the years and so have several others. I’ve called and talked with Shane on the phone to ask a few questions when I got stumped and he was a great resource. There is also a Nuts-and-Bolts of archery PDF floating around on line that is an excellent resource when learning.
One thing is for certain there really isn’t a one size fits all Method of tuning and to figure out how to get a bow to shoot perfect for you takes a lot of tinkering and learning but IMO is totally worth it.

I have worked on my own bows for several years. My bf owns Big Sky Archery.
He has taught me a ton, I’ve also learned a ton from Dudley watching his YouTube stuff. He gives away so much information. Everyone with a bow should watch his videos.

I would recommend a quality vise and at least an easy green press if you can afford.
Couple years ago my 34 carbon defiant jumped out of time while elk huntin in New Mexico.
Against good advice, I laid it on the tailgate and pressed it with a ratchet strap just enough to put 1 twist in the yoke and get things back to perfection.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What is everyone using a bow vise for? I've been doing all my own work myself for years and have never used nor seen the need for a vise.

I got a new to me Reign 6 about a year ago. If I hadn’t done the tune up work myself on it I would have spent all the money I saved buying used going to an archery shop. It was my fist bow since 1991. I watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to do basic maintenance and tune up. Saved the ones I wanted to use for reference. I bought a Bowmaster portable press and used my mountain bike stand to hold the bow. I took my time and triple checked everything I was doing. Worked out fine. Put on new strings, a peep, timed the cams. It is shooting much better than when I bought it. It was slow going but could do it in less than half the time next time around.

What is everyone using a bow vise for? I've been doing all my own work myself for years and have never used nor seen the need for a vise.
For years I have used a simple 3 way bench vise from Harbor Freight with a 4 inch 5/16x24 bolt screwed into the stabilizer bushing with a couple jam nuts to keep it tight.

I am now waiting for an OMP versa cradle to arrive. I am looking forward to not having to remove the stab or quick disconnect from the bow when I want to use the vise.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Sorry, just read your question again. I answered a question you didn't ask in my first reply. My apologies.

I use my vise for tying nock sets, peeps, rest cords, or replacing serving.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I’ve used the cable bow press to do cam swaps and a string change or three. It’s not nearly as nice as the bench mounted press at the club I shoot at. Considering the price and the fact I only use it 2-3 times each year it has been a great investment. It is however awful to use on my buddy’s Hoyt even with the fancy hooks for the big split limbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I use mine any time I am working on the bow; peep tie in, d-loop tie on, installing sight and/or quiver mount, etc. So much nicer than laying it on the bench and fighting to keep it from moving around.

Zac

WKR
I broke alot of shit and ruined quite a few strings in the beginning. I ended up with LCA Power Press Deluxe, The OMP micro adjustable vice, a Vane Master Pro, and a Firenock jig. I would like to add that I am really tempted to run over the VMP with my truck.

cnelk

WKR
A couple guys I know, who used to own a local archery shop, started the 'Bow Tune School' - specifically design to work on your own bows.

Its a subscription based course but well worth the $$$

87TT

WKR
YouTube is your friend. I built a press and never looked back. In my opinion, a Harbor Freight ratchet strap or two and some para cord loops works way better than a Bow Medic or other portable press but both are too slow for me.

OP
E

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the great feedback! This gave me the confidence to start. I ordered a rest I'm going to tackle myself along with a bow vise. I'm looking into bow presses next, think I'm just going to start with the bowmaster. I want something I can bring with me on hunts in case something comes up. That's the number 1 reason I'm getting into this.

Thanks for the great feedback! This gave me the confidence to start. I ordered a rest I'm going to tackle myself along with a bow vise. I'm looking into bow presses next, think I'm just going to start with the bowmaster. I want something I can bring with me on hunts in case something comes up. That's the number 1 reason I'm getting into this.
Bow master will do the trick, depending on the bow you may have to remove the rest or for sure the string stop. I would make sure to get the right adapter. I just use some table vices I already owned for leveling the bow or a plumb door frame will work. You can make your own arrow saw pretty easily, would buy a G5 arrow squaring tool for sure. Tuning and working on your own bow is fun, but can be frustrating. If you have an old bow or could get one for super cheap it might be good to practice on that, you could practice serving on it, tying d loops, tying in peeps, pressing and adding twists etc... good luck. Oh ya abs take pictures and write shit down before you take your bow apart....

Rob5589

WKR
Bow master will do the trick, depending on the bow you may have to remove the rest or for sure the string stop. I would make sure to get the right adapter. I just use some table vices I already owned for leveling the bow or a plumb door frame will work. You can make your own arrow saw pretty easily, would buy a G5 arrow squaring tool for sure. Tuning and working on your own bow is fun, but can be frustrating. If you have an old bow or could get one for super cheap it might be good to practice on that, you could practice serving on it, tying d loops, tying in peeps, pressing and adding twists etc... good luck. Oh ya abs take pictures and write shit down before you take your bow apart....
Good advice! Definitely take pics of cable routing before tearing them off. I speak from frustrating experience.

I started by taking a Bow Technican class out on by Fulcrum Archery a few years ago. He’s modified it for 1-on-1 because of COVID. https://www.fulcrumarchery.com/technical-school/

I used a bow master and a simple Apple vise. I got lucky and won an EZ Green press with is a far cry from the Bow Master. I kept it to take on backcountry hunts. I bought a “learning” bow that I was willing to trash via mistakes, although that didn’t happen. I’ve since setup a couple of my bows multiple times because of string changes and my cousin’s bow as well. I have done any limb swaps or shimming, except for in the technician class.

I only use the vice for setting center shot and sight axis. I prefer the press for d-loops, nock sets, rest timing, peep install. A draw board really helps for setting the timing by yourself.

YouTube, ArcheryTalk, and seasoned friends and techs are all great sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk