Working that Gap

GLB

WKR
After over 30 years of shooting split finger/instinctive I have switched to 3 under and gap shooting. For the past 2 1/2 months I have been working on the transitioning of gap shooting and the process of retuning my bows. The tuning process was a minor adjustment and the gap shooting came fairly easy once I figured out to focus more on the target vs the arrow.

Even though I am more aware of the arrow than before, it is really similar to the way I have always shot with the exception that the arrow is closer to my eye 3 under. At first I was putting all my focus on the arrow tip with the target out of focus and had mixed results.
When I went back to focusing more on the target and let the arrow hover in the appropriate gap without focusing on it I started getting results.

My practice has been using this 1/3 caribou target which is realy deer size and shoot one arrow at 30, 25, and 20 over and over to learn what that sight picture looks like and learning that gap for each of those distance. I think all in all that this is pretty close to what I was doing shooting split finger but now the arrow being closer to my eye I feel that I am more consistent. Anyway I just wanted to share in case some of you are thinking of making the switch.

Attachments

• 3EAC3BA5-C7F3-43BD-9970-BC8B98A5CDD0.jpeg
    3EAC3BA5-C7F3-43BD-9970-BC8B98A5CDD0.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 56
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
👆🏼Yep old ways are hard to change but I knew I had to get it off my mind to try it. This season I wasn’t able to hunt so the timing is good.

I switched from split to 3-under about 21 years ago now. I've continued to shoot without consciously aiming with my hunting bows, but I'm a much better shot after switching. Some call it heresy in the trad circles, but I'm pretty sure either Art Young or Saxon Pope shot 3-under, so...

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I switched from split to 3-under about 21 years ago now. I've continued to shoot without consciously aiming with my hunting bows, but I'm a much better shot after switching. Some call it heresy in the trad circles, but I'm pretty sure either Art Young or Saxon Pope shot 3-under, so...
I have seen pictures that sure looks like they shot 3 under.

Squints08

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with you 100%. While I don’t have the “experience” you do with split finger I started that way and did for a couple seasons. However, when I started getting professional coaching I was encouraged to shoot 3 under and learn my gaps. My scores and accuracy increased significantly. The transition was awkward but definitely worth it in the end.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re not really looking at your gap but concentrating on your target you’re prob shooting more split vision.
Ways to lessen gap besides going to three under.
You can lengthen the arrow, weight your arrow, shoot split finger but middle finger anchor plus keep the nock point as high as it tunes properly.
Now the advantage to not shooting three under is a quieter bow. If you’re hunting that might matter. If only punching paper it won’t.

Thinhorn it raises your arrow up and lessens the gap. That will still help btw even if you’re primarily shooting split vision I just find other ways to achieve that because of the noise. I actually teach 3 under though as it does offer some benefits. One is the arrow is less likely to be pinched the string off by beginning archers.

Squints08

Lil-Rokslider
It has been answered already but I was told by my coach that it puts the arrow closer to the eye which makes line of sight and arrow alignment easier.

What is the benefit to shooting 3 under?

It shortens your gap like GLB said, but on top of that it lets you use a fixed crawl to make the PO closer as well.

And IMO that is less contact on your nock when you use 3U instead of split.

Going from split-finger (over 30 years) to 3-under revolutionized my accuracy. I did a lot of other things to rebuild how I shoot my longbow or recurve, but 3-under was the magic. I don't do any conscious gapping and my visual focus is the intended impact point.

One practice trick I learned: Save your old shafts. Stick one in the ground vertically and put a small paper cup on the end. Nock a practice arrow and walk away from the setup. DON'T look at the paper cup....just walk out a ways, turn around and when you are ready to draw THEN allow yourself to look at the cup. Shoot immediately before you begin making distance calcs or references. The idea is to shoot at a point in space (the cup) at unknown distances so your brain isn't recognizing the usual clues associated with a fixed target backstop or typical 3D sized animal target you may shoot at routinely. Don't repeat the same shot from same position or same distance. You get one arrow, just like when hunting. If you vary this routine and your distances, you'll see progress in your single-arrow accuracy.

Beendare

WKR
Same here GLB. My accuracy improved when I stopped looking at the gap at the bow. I do the opposite pistol shooting ( front sight!)

The gap gives me a reference that I didnt have when shooting instinctive. I miss a lot less now.

I draw to the gap mostly out of peripheral vision then focus on the spot.

I sometimes Pick a Point. I know the inches below the spot on each distance corresponding to my gaps and sometimes I feel that aiming technique makes me even more accurate.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
👆🏼Yep, I have been a Dept/LE Firearms Instructor for so long that I wanted to focus on the arrow tip as you would on the front sight of a firearm. I get much better results focusing on the target while being mindful of where the arrow tip is.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
luckily the 3 longbows that I use the most has similar gaps at 20 and 25 yards. At 30 yards they start to separate slightly.

Shooting 3 different bows at the same time can be tricky 😁

Attachments

• A9EB5495-2CEF-4DD9-90F7-D26036E61A5B.jpeg
    A9EB5495-2CEF-4DD9-90F7-D26036E61A5B.jpeg
    725.4 KB · Views: 26
👆🏼Yep, I have been a Dept/LE Firearms Instructor for so long that I wanted to focus on the arrow tip as you would on the front sight of a firearm. I get much better results focusing on the target while being mindful of where the arrow tip is.

LEO here too, and you know what I find funny, is that shooting a tradbow increased my pistol shooting accuracy tremendously. I started incorporating bow principles (form, total sight picture, both eyes open, etc) into my pistol shooting (mostly subconsciously) and I’ve been way better than I ever was.

Plus, if you can manage target panic at the archery range, target panic at the gun range is a breeze.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Nice collection you have going there….so heres a question;

If you could only have one, which would it be?

( cue the final Jeopardy jingle…..)

Haha, I don’t think I can, one has sentimental memories and no longer being made. Another is a takedown for travel and the other one is just awesome 😎