Working that Gap

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
3 under isn't louder than split. It's a frequency change. Humans suck at detecting noise levels, temperature gradients and many other things. Which is why we developed instruments to measure these things.

Arrow weight has way more of an effect on the decibel level of a bow than any other variable.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
The interesting thing about using a Gap method of aiming is the closer shots are the ones that can mess with your head. The gap is so great off target that it is difficult for me to hold that spot. For my hunting setups at 20 yards I have to hold on the knee of a deer size animal. As the distance goes out it get easier because the tip gets closer to the spot you want to hit. Also it’s easier for me to hold over when I go past my PO vs holding under.

Beendare

WKR
The interesting thing about using a Gap method of aiming is the closer shots are the ones that can mess with your head. The gap is so great off target that it is difficult for me to hold that spot. For my hunting setups at 20 yards I have to hold on the knee of a deer size animal. As the distance goes out it get easier because the tip gets closer to the spot you want to hit. Also it’s easier for me to hold over when I go past my PO vs holding under.
Deleted

>

Last edited:
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
This is what my gaps are looking like with this particular bow setup at 20, 25, 32, and 35 yards. You can see the closer shot 20 yards can mentally be more difficult for the lack of reference.

Attachments

• B3EEAB18-0E3E-44D6-837B-4CF1CBAFB723.jpeg
    B3EEAB18-0E3E-44D6-837B-4CF1CBAFB723.jpeg
    585.4 KB · Views: 16
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
The small animal targets are definitely more challenging with that much gap at 20 yards.

Attachments

• DB419295-2DD1-4C1F-B051-531A3B5D77B8.jpeg
    DB419295-2DD1-4C1F-B051-531A3B5D77B8.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 13

Rob5589

WKR
So what do you do for the close up shots? Is it just time shooting arrows? I'm finding the gap method difficult holding off so far.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
So what do you do for the close up shots? Is it just time shooting arrows? I'm finding the gap method difficult holding off so far.
Well I just recently switched to gap shooting so I’m still figuring things out. The 20 yard shot is by far the most difficult for me to gap aim and it’s something I’m working on. It’s actually easier for me to shoot instinctively on the smaller target at 20 yards and in. I shot that way for over 30 years so that may be my answer on the closer shots and use the gap at 25 yards and out.

bisblue

WKR
This is helpful. I'm shooting a 64" bow with Morrison max 6 super recurve limbs. Man that thing is fast and has a far out point on.

Might try a few riser aiming tricks as well.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Yep, I like a point on at about 30 yards. My bows are in the low 50s and my arrows are 11-11.5 gpi and shooting 3 under makes it possible.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I think if I was only hunting whitetails from a tree stand a fixed crawl would be great. I would set it for 25 yards and tune the bow based on that crawl.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I'm working towards that^. I think my ideal would be 35 yds....but its tough with a long draw. My anchor is about as high as I feel comfortable now. I'm going to play with some 33" arrows....

Otherwise I might mark my serving for a fixed crawl at a shorter distance but I need to make sure its got good BH arrow flight too.
Yep, I think for the long draw length guys it makes it a little harder.