Working up Hot 10mm Load

treillw

WKR
Book says 1150 fps is the max pressure/velocity to run 200 grain hard cast 10mm bullets. Almost every benchrest shooter out there is also running about 3 grains of powder more than the book max; book pressures are somewhere conservative. I've worked up a max charge for my rifles (over the book max), while monitoring for pressure signs and tracking velocities for inconsistencies, as directed by one of said benchrest shooters. I'd like to do something similar for my Glock 20 to create hot match grade bear loads. Obviously every gun is different, barrel length, spring strength, firing out of battery, etc etc.

Curious, for any of you who have done something similar, what is the max velocity/powder charge you've reached? I know some guys push the bullet I'm shooting to 1175 / 1200 fps. I suspect that's the limit, but figured it's worth asking.

Thanks!

Wapiti1

WKR
Get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Several loads with a hard cast 200 in there make 1200 or just shy of it. Buffalo Bore, Underwood, and Double Tap advertise much stouter than 1200 out of 5" barrels.

That said, I would be very, very, very, cautious of comparing anything in the rifle, large capacity, slow powder world, to the small volume, fast powder, handgun world. Small changes make much larger differences in handguns than rifles. You're also dealing with a hell of a lot less steel in the barrel to contain the bomb.

Jeremy

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I use AA #9 with 200 cast bullets. I get 1200-1250fps. I shoot Glocks (with aftermarket barrels) S&W’s, and Sigs.

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
I use AA #9 with 200 cast bullets. I get 1200-1250fps. I shoot Glocks (with aftermarket barrels) S&W’s, and Sigs.
What do you prefer for glock aftermarket? I've been rolling the dice and shooting my factory barrel and just cleaning frequently. Been looking at lone wolf

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have gone through most of them. I use after market on my 29, 20 Gen 3x, 20 Gen 4, and a custom 41 conversion to 10mm. I stuck with Storm Lake or KKM. It’s not so much the barrel leading I worry about l, but the chamber support with those hotter rounds.

KKM is worth the wait and the cost of you are just going to do 1 gun. I also use 22lb spring and a Tungsten guide rod

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Several loads with a hard cast 200 in there make 1200 or just shy of it. Buffalo Bore, Underwood, and Double Tap advertise much stouter than 1200 out of 5" barrels.

That said, I would be very, very, very, cautious of comparing anything in the rifle, large capacity, slow powder world, to the small volume, fast powder, handgun world. Small changes make much larger differences in handguns than rifles. You're also dealing with a hell of a lot less steel in the barrel to contain the bomb.

Jeremy
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the 10mm page of the Lyman book, would ya? :)

I can take a pic of it and send to your cell phone if you want it. PM me your cell #. Im looking at it right now......it was on the table next to me as I read this.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

I'll also take a PM of that recipe if you're willing, just for reference.

Thanks.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
How much do you care about your brass life? In my experience, Glocks do not have a well supported chamber and too hot of a load will cause bulging around the bottom of the case body. When I first started out loading 45 ACP, I went for max or near max. I noticed the brass had that bulge and it could not be remedied with a sizing die. I backed off the load so its still pretty stout but its much easier on my brass. I am getting into 10mm now with a G40 MOS on order (for nearly 4 months) and starting 90% max for the type of load you're talking about.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
Somewhere between 13 and 14 grains of AA#9 will get you there in most guns with a 200 GCHC bullet. The after market barrels save the brass and help with chamber support. I take no responsibility for how these loads work in your gun and don’t want a lecture about how it may or may not be over pressure. I shoot/hunt a lot of 10mm out of 5 different guns and am just sharing what has worked for me.

I am just getting started loading 200gr Montana Hardcast for my G20, i'll be using Longshot b/c I couldn't find anything else... any input would be appreciated!

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I use/have used Longshot with great success in many handgun calibers including the 10mm.

It is a great powder. it pressure spikes quickly and does not fill cases (volume wise) so be extra careful especially if you use a progressive press. Longshot is a favorite for my .45LC loads too.

Wrench

WKR
Ive hit the desired velocity with blue dot and longshot in my g20 (Kkm) and 1911's. I prefer lojgshot because it has a much lower flash.

In hindsight, I would strive to achieve max brass life which would hold me back around 1100-1150.

Everyone wants a super magnum, reliability and brass become an issue. Even the slightest hiccup in your loading process will cause over pressure....a few thou too deep, extra kernel of powder...etc.

With a rifle, it might take 7-10grs to make a 10% difference, where the pistol it can be less than 1.

I have shoved a 200gr 10mm through a bears face at smell his breath range and after that I started carrying my .40 and 9mm because I don't need 16" of bone destroying penetration as much as i need reliable, low flash, accurate hits.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Wh
Ive hit the desired velocity with blue dot and longshot in my g20 (Kkm) and 1911's. I prefer lojgshot because it has a much lower flash.

In hindsight, I would strive to achieve max brass life which would hold me back around 1100-1150.

Everyone wants a super magnum, reliability and brass become an issue. Even the slightest hiccup in your loading process will cause over pressure....a few thou too deep, extra kernel of powder...etc.

With a rifle, it might take 7-10grs to make a 10% difference, where the pistol it can be less than 1.

I have shoved a 200gr 10mm through a bears face at smell his breath range and after that I started carrying my .40 and 9mm because I don't need 16" of bone destroying penetration as much as i need reliable, low flash, accurate hits.
What bullet did you shove through his face? I'm tempted to use hollow points, as I think they will still penetrate the skull and any other hits to the vitals will be a lot more devastating than a pencil hole.

Everybody seems to say otherwise though.

Wrench

WKR
Wh

What bullet did you shove through his face? I'm tempted to use hollow points, as I think they will still penetrate the skull and any other hits to the vitals will be a lot more devastating than a pencil hole.

Everybody seems to say otherwise though.

NORMALLY it would have been a 200gr hardcast by doubletap....but on that day it was a 200 xtp.

I now am 100% comfortable with a 147 berry's hybrid in 9mm for everything short of the biggest bears.

You're gonna get munched if you dump a mag in their chest....it takes a CNS hit to end the situation quickly. I shoot a mild 9mm more accurately than a pissed off 10mm.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Ok, now I need to hear the story.

Looks like it might not have been as traumatic of an incident as I could have imagined.

Congratulations! (I think) haha