Workout advice elliptical vs treadmill

So preparing for an upcoming hunt in colorado, my treadmill took a crap and i have an opportunity to purchase a golds gym elliptical will i get similar results and as good of a workout out of the elliptical and build strength in my legs for hunting season? Never used one

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
in order of best to worst for hiking the stepper will be best. next would be the treadmill doing incline walks and running. then the elliptical

Personally I have a bad back and knee. I use an elliptical (low impact) for my everyday use and work in body weight training like squats/lunges/jumps. Then when available I do stairs at a stadium and runs around the neighborhood but not as my primary cardio.

Throw a weighted pack on, find a ledge/step that’s 12-16” tall, turn on a good podcast and put the work in. There’s little that will prep you for the demands of the West like weighted pack workouts. 👍

Poser

WKR
Throw a weighted pack on, find a ledge/step that’s 12-16” tall, turn on a good podcast and put the work in. There’s little that will prep you for the demands of the West like weighted pack workouts.

^This. And find a steep hill, even if it’s short, and do laps straight up the fall line. Ellipticals are too ergonomic and lack sufficient stress to build the muscular endurance you need for the mountains.

Unless you are just getting the deal of a lifetime--steppers, ellipticals, and treadmills are all three some of the worst use of space and money IMO. Much better workouts available with much less financial/space requirements.

As has been said on other threads here, steppers do not give you any training on down steps which are just as, if not more important to train than the climbing. Training only uphill will create muscle imbalance and not have your musculoskeletal system as prepared for the downhills you will face.

You can get yourself in much better cardio and muscular shape with a kettlebell than you will with any of those machines. A simple, varied kettlebell routine combined with some weighted rukking and/or actual stair climbing (with descent) will have you where you need to be without having to buy/store a bulky machine.

YMMV

EDIT: I withdraw the "deal of a lifetime" caveat :) There is literally no scenario where I would pay for or store a cardio machine in my house.

Unless you are just getting the deal of a lifetime--steppers, ellipticals, and treadmills are all three some of the worst use of space and money IMO. Much better workouts available with much less financial/space requirements.

As has been said on other threads here, steppers do not give you any training on down steps which are just as, if not more important to train than the climbing. Training only uphill will create muscle imbalance and not have your musculoskeletal system as prepared for the downhills you will face.

You can get yourself in much better cardio and muscular shape with a kettlebell than you will with any of those machines. A simple, varied kettlebell routine combined with some weighted rukking and/or actual stair climbing (with descent) will have you where you need to be without having to buy/store a bulky machine.

YMMV

EDIT: I withdraw the "deal of a lifetime" caveat :) There is literally no scenario where I would pay for or store a cardio machine in my house.

Do you have a link to what you would call full kettle bell routine that hits all the right muscles ?

Okhotnik

WKR
Put on a weighted pack. Buy one of these. Can usually pick up around $20.

Step ups, step downs, side step ups. 20 to 30 min

And a good kettle bell routine. I took a class from Pavel 20 years ago. Make sure your form is good and start with around 20 lbs

Do you have a link to what you would call full kettle bell routine that hits all the right muscles ?

DISCLAIMER: Make sure your form is perfected before you start trying to do any of the kettlebell movements if you are not already familiar with them. There are tons of tutorials on technique (the above video from Okhotnik for example).

For primarily strength development:

For HIIT/strength-endurance/cardio:

I stopped going to the gym in late January due to concerns about COVID and that I already had a full kettlebell set at home. I used to do them only 1-2x/week mostly for HIIT/cardio purposes and go to the gym for my "real" strength training. After several months of exclusively kettlebell training 4-5x/week I just canceled my gym membership which is reopening next week. My overall strength and fitness have increased, I saved a lot of commute time, and $40/month back in the wallet.

If all you care about is achieving your absolute highest possible single-rep max strenght lift, then you would still need to train with barbells, but for everyone else KB-only is more than adequate to accomplish your health and wellness goals.

wyodan

WKR
For straight cardio, rowers and assault bikes are my favorites. I love the kettlebells as well.