Workout Idea that was brutal

Assigned to a new team of much younger fit dudes and they invited me to a workout week or so ago. Figured why not good way to build comradery. It was not complex but was rough

20 burpees lap around the track 1/4
19 burpees lap
18 burpees lap

And so on till you get to 1 and your last lap. You end up doing 5 miles and 210 burpees. The goal was 1 hour I came up a bit short going over 4 minutes. Young dudes smoked it was impressive. Here we are 9 day later and my upper body is still sore..ugh late 40s suck

OP
B
It was more miserable 3 days later. they wanted to do it again 6 days later my shoulders and lats were so sore I opted to do squats instead of burpees. it was much easier but felt like I woosed out

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I get board of the repetition in the gym, this just sounds like I would quit after 5 min of doing the same thing. This probably would have sucked most for me due to not stimulating my mind.

I get board of the repetition in the gym, this just sounds like I would quit after 5 min of doing the same thing. This probably would have sucked most for me due to not stimulating my mind.
To me mental strength is just as important as physical strength...I did a 1 to 8 to 1...hand stand push up, push press, jumping squats today...its not mentally stimulating but u just gotta grind thru it.

*zap*

WKR
Wait 20 years......hopefully you realize that way overstepping your fitness level is not a great idea before your early 60's. Incremental increase & consistency becomes very important as we age, at least it has for me, I started up @ working out @ 60 after 20+ years away from it. Believe me that is not something you want to do so get with it while your still a young 40's.....

2rocky

WKR
Brings up a good topic...How do you build a fitness Routine without kicking your ass so bad you can't keep it up?

*zap*

WKR
You do less and repeat that every other day for a week and then evaluate. It is far better to be a little undertrained than to be overtraining.....

Grade each workout with how you feel @ the end......A thru F. See next post...

Get as close to 10 hrs. sleep a night as you can.

Last edited:
^^^^what he said.....I am 61 and still getting after the critters but adopted moderation and cycling years ago. All my powerlifting friends are hurting cowboys now. Most all are having shoulder surgeries, hip and knee replacement, etc. The "ultra" sports build free radicals and break down your system. There is fitness and there is macho stupid.

Poser

WKR
Workout: something that leaves you feeling tired that day.

Training: a systematic progression of increasing stress and/or volume over a plane of time, accounting for recovery and adaptation along the way.

Unless you capitalize off the stress of a single workout, you’re not training, you’re just getting sweaty and sore. Note the difference.

bsnedeker

WKR
My goal is to be a bit sore for about 2, maybe three days after lifting. The first time I went to a trainer this guy put me through hell and I could barely walk for a week. I never went back, and this was when I was in my 20's. I'm now in my early 40's and I'm just now getting into lifting over the last few months. I still do cardio every other day so the idea of being in extreme pain from a workout does not appeal to me in any way!

OP
B
^^^^what he said.....I am 61 and still getting after the critters but adopted moderation and cycling years ago. All my powerlifting friends are hurting cowboys now. Most all are having shoulder surgeries, hip and knee replacement, etc. The "ultra" sports build free radicals and break down your system. There is fitness and there is macho stupid.

After playing ball for so many years this is exactly what I am afraid of and trying to be more efficient and change my mindset when it comes to fitness. Its been a bit of struggle to say the least but learning. These young dudes help a lot in that they dont do heavy lifting and have helped me rethink my own workouts. I have enjoyed many of the Mt Tough workouts lately althogh having a home gym has limited me a bit but i just modify it to whay i have.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Burpees in general just about kill me. Try the 22's from Mtn Tough.. with burpees and lunges.

20 burpees.. 2 lunges
18 burpees... 4 lunges
16 burpees.. 6 lunges

and on until your at 2 burpees and 20 lunges.