Workshop Project Ideas

as.ks.ak

WKR
Tell me what I’m missing!!!

I am staring out the window at my dilapidated shed. I roughly have 14’x24’ to work with currently. It has served us as nothing but storage...I think it’s time we changed that. Like everyone, we have a storage issue. To try and alleviate the problem I have decided to add a second story onto my shed.

We need to replace the roof and siding anyways so why not yank it off and throw some joists and four walls up? All of my current storage will go up into the new second story and now I have created a place for all my hunting related chit to get out of the house.

We aren’t redoing the foundation, so there will be no water/sewer added. But we had talked about repouring on top of existing to create new grade to slope to the center and then out the big roll top door.

Checklist:

-work bench for reloading, sewing, and bow press work.
-tool storage
-boat/outboard/jet storage
-corner insulated AC shack for hanging meat/Rubbermaid tote gear storage when not in use. (Coolbot).
-gear storage
-meat processing
-workout corner/treadmill
-eliminate N facing window
-large energy efficient window on S wall
-new insulated man door
-new insulated roll top garage door
-all new electrical (outlets everywhere)
-LED lighting throughout

Help me learn from your mistakes/victories!

SIDENOTE we have had thoughts of extending to make it more like 14’x30’. Buuuuuut not sure I want to deal with the added cost and headache...however, the plus side is I could add water/sewer if we extend..so many options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy put a door on the front of his garage on the second floor above the main door so he could just toss his gear straight into the back of his truck before leaving on a trip. Of course he had to carry it back up later, but it worked out pretty good for him.

Clarktar

WKR
Sheet it with something you can nail and screw to without worry.

I would make sure some of the outlets have USB ports.

I also had a small dedicated shelf with outlet at it for a small fan. Helps with ventilation when painting or using other products with fumes. Also helps summer temps. Heck, I even lowered a wire rack full of brined salmon in front of it for that pelicle formation!

Also, make sure there is enough headroom for a cot and a guy to sit up in the storage loft. Approximately 58"...

Last edited:
You could extend the roof line without building under it. Just two posts.

Wouldn't be anything but a porch, gives you rain shelter to back a truck under, put an atv.

Probably not worried about lawnmowers and such up there....

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
You could extend the roof line without building under it. Just two posts.

Wouldn't be anything but a porch, gives you rain shelter to back a truck under, put an atv.

Probably not worried about lawnmowers and such up there....

Actually I do have to mow my yard. The grass grows at an alarming rate when the sun actually does shine... I think I’ll do this on the S side. Pellet/wood storage.

Great idea!

tdot

WKR
If you're planning on processing meat in the shop, then IMO water/sewer is an absolute must.

The last 2 shops we've built in the family had some form of an overhead crane/block and tackle/pulley system in the top floor. It could be used to raise or lower heavy items or storage totes to make loading/unloading very easy.

The most recent is still under construction, it'll be awesome when its done. A 20' length of I beam is hung from rollers hanging from the rafters, open a large man door and the whole I beam slides outside 5' or so and is picked up by another set of rollers outside. An electric winch slides on the bottom flange of the I Beam and there has been some aluminum cages welded up that are slightly larger then a pallet and 5' high. Tons of gear can be moved quickly either up or down.

Clarktar

WKR
If you're planning on processing meat in the shop, then IMO water/sewer is an absolute must.

The last 2 shops we've built in the family had some form of an overhead crane/block and tackle/pulley system in the top floor. It could be used to raise or lower heavy items or storage totes to make loading/unloading very easy.

The most recent is still under construction, it'll be awesome when its done. A 20' length of I beam is hung from rollers hanging from the rafters, open a large man door and the whole I beam slides outside 5' or so and is picked up by another set of rollers outside. An electric winch slides on the bottom flange of the I Beam and there has been some aluminum cages welded up that are slightly larger then a pallet and 5' high. Tons of gear can be moved quickly either up or down.
Dang, that sounds like a lot of weight on some floor joists. Just regular ol joists or are something different for the heavier load?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR

I don’t disagree with you as per the water/sewer...if we do end up adding to the footprint that definitely will happen. Buuuuuut if I pinch pennies and just go up with it it’s no big deal. Mostly when I process meat I only need water for cleaning blades etc. as 99% of the meat that comes home with me has been quartered and cleaned meticulously in the field. Mostly looking for a place to hang to age, and then divvy up into vac bags. Not so much processing whole animals...not my style.

That I-beam sounds like one helluva setup though!!! It would simply eat up too much space to be worth its value. For my uses anyways.

A urinal is on my short list of things I would add to my next shop project. It wouldn’t be worth doing to the current setup since I hope to move in the next couple years, but for my next place that I hope to stay in, it sure would be awful nice…

tdot

WKR
Dang, that sounds like a lot of weight on some floor joists. Just regular ol joists or are something different for the heavier load?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The current barn is a timberframed barn, with wood from the property. My brother is a big fan of over building things, you could probably suspend a car from the rafters. The previous shop was hand build rafters, designed for the loads. I wouldn't trust composite (TJI) joists for this use.

WCB

WKR
I agree with sheeting material you don't have to worry about where you are on the wall when screwing in stuff would be very high on my list. Water and Sewer aren't that high. We process deer in a shop that has neither and we just bring a couple gallon jugs of water to help clean up.

I would try to get a stainless cutting table/surface. Will help with cleanup if you don't have readily available water.

Any table or surface that maybe temporary try to make it have the ability to fold up flush on the wall. saves space...same with treadmill...hopefully if it can be folded up and pushed against the wall. The more you can utilize the space above your head the better I can't stand stuff sitting on the floor/stuffed under work benches unless it is bigger tuff like compressors/etc.