Worried about my sheep hunt

Saskabush

FNG
I'll try and be nice regarding NWT....

I asked the health officer last week if the NR season was going to be cancelled. I was told yes. If I was an outfitter, I'd start being strategic and thinking of ways and proposals to get an exemption. Exemptions are being used for people like vets, doctors and mine workers. Any exemption worth a look will likely increase their operating costs as well.

Every day more summer activities and fishing/tourism lodges are announcing closures. The border will stay closed all summer.

The outfitters don't seem like a strategic bunch, or else they'd realize you can't operate here like the south - where building a kingdom and walls to keep people out are the norm. The new north works on consultation and consensus, something they are lacking, and at times like this you can feel the deep divide.

And my last point - donating meat shouldn't be your sole strategy. This isn't Africa.

Anyway, I think in the end you may see some hunts offered, but at higher prices to cover extra flights and fuel and logistics. Some may think it's not worth it and close up shop completely for the season.

I’m just asking because you seem to be in touch with what’s happening on the ground up there. Hypothetically, if any form of non-resident tourism is permitted at some point later in the summer, what grounds would territorial health managers have to prevent outfitters from operating? It seems like we’re more focused on the larger long term issue of support (or lack of) for outfitting in the north amongst residents and communities rather than the issue in question. Point being, under the current circumstances, is it fair to treat outfitting As an outlier to the larger tourism industry in the north? To hypothetically allow any non-resident tourism to resume, but not allow outfitting makes no sense and doesn’t hold water if the rationale is to prevent exposure to the virus from outside visitors. The other issues remain, but if any form of tourism opens this summer/fall, I can’t see how outfitters could be excluded. Just a thought.

Jimbob

WKR
I’m just asking because you seem to be in touch with what’s happening on the ground up there. Hypothetically, if any form of non-resident tourism is permitted at some point later in the summer, what grounds would territorial health managers have to prevent outfitters from operating? It seems like we’re more focused on the larger long term issue of support (or lack of) for outfitting in the north amongst residents and communities rather than the issue in question. Point being, under the current circumstances, is it fair to treat outfitting As an outlier to the larger tourism industry in the north? To hypothetically allow any non-resident tourism to resume, but not allow outfitting makes no sense and doesn’t hold water if the rationale is to prevent exposure to the virus from outside visitors. The other issues remain, but if any form of tourism opens this summer/fall, I can’t see how outfitters could be excluded. Just a thought.

The two are not separate. It is all about non-residents coming into the province. Either they will allow non-essential travel into their province or they won't. I do not believe it will just be closed to hunting.

Right now they won't let other Canadians in let alone international travelers. The Yukon seems to be a little looser and willing to open things up but the NWT's language is that they are taking a hard long haul stance on restricting travel. Maybe that will change by the fall but it certainly isn't looking good for summertime in the NWT.

BC has just denied out of province people from booking camping sites in our provincial parks for the WHOLE SUMMER. Basically our province is saying we do not want any outside travelers coming in, even other Canadians that live across the magical BC Alberta provincial line that is keeping us safe.

I'm glad Alaska is opening up and hunts/tourism will happen. Here in Canada our tourism industry (hunting fishing etc) is going to get nailed hard.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Latest cdc guidelines are showing a fatality rate overestimation. Mortality rate across all age groups less than the common flu. Hysteria is ruining the economy. My ability to choose where I go and what I do is being decided by those who have no idea where they are at or what they are doing. I hope for all of our sakes the people that lobby for our interests on both sides of the border can at least make a little break through on this to salvage a little bit of sanity and our season.

Ok, I just received an answer from my Yukon outfitter. I could really use people’s thoughts and experiences with their outfitters. He’s demanding my remaining 50% by 5/15. If balance isn’t received, I lose my 50% deposit. If covid kills the season I’ll be rescheduled sometime in the next 3 years. I’ll lose 25% of the total hunt cost to cover his this years expenses and he’ll carry 75% of my total to the rescheduled date. So, considering it seems less than likely that the hunt happens, he gets $6250 free and clear from me plus holds the rest of my money for up to 3 years. Anyone else think this is fair? Anyone else experiencing this right now?

Just a quick update. Yesterday, after receiving another email from the outfitter that didn’t address his 25% rebooking fee, I replied and again voiced my extreme displeasure with his after the fact, policy. A few hours later he sent a reply stating that he’s dropping the rebooking fee idea. We haven’t discussed anything about scheduling a new hunt date and won’t until we know the season is officially over, but it was a good start.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Just a quick update. Yesterday, after receiving another email from the outfitter that didn’t address his 25% rebooking fee, I replied and again voiced my extreme displeasure with his after the fact, policy. A few hours later he sent a reply stating that he’s dropping the rebooking fee idea. We haven’t discussed anything about scheduling a new hunt date and won’t until we know the season is officially over, but it was a good start.
These are unprecedented times. I think outfitters realize that they would be cutting the throats of their business long term if they don’t take care of their 2020 clients

On August 09, 2021, I was crossing the Canadian Border on my way to the Yukon to hunt sheep with Mervyn's Yukon Outfitting. The hunt was booked in 2017 or 2018 for August 01, 2020. Well, we all know what Covid did.
I finalized the hunt payment in June 2020, as I was not concerned about the Outfitter or their ethics. The reason I slipped into the 2nd hunt time slot was due to a hunter not being vaccinated to cross the border. The hunt took place as discussed, without any problems and I harvested a Dall Ram. The 4 other hunters on this hunt and in different camps all harvested their Rams too. From visiting with other hunters and being at shows, the Mervyn's do have a lot of repeat hunters. I am a repeat hunter also. This was my 5th hunt with them since 2002, and the hunts just have not differed.