Worried about theft back at the truck while hunting?

A thief thats actually trying to break in and steal your shit will steal it no matter what.

If you're not open to leaving it unlocked, then open all the glove compartments/etc so they can clearly see theres nothing to be had(and make sure nothing of value is inside). If you have a rifle/bow/rod case, make sure its left in plain view, open, with the contents missing. Not saying its gonna deter 100% of thieves, but make it look like a clear waste of time.

Another thing - make sure you take your garage door openers out of your vehicle... hell I'd even go as far as to take anything with my address out of it. Here locally some time ago there were a few break ins that were tied back to trailhead prowlers... they break into your car, steal whatever, get your address knowing you're not home and if its local enough drive there and break in... if you have a garage door opener its just easier less suspicious access.

As far as camp goes, my truck camping stuff isn't the most valuable stuff. I'm not making a truck camp with a $800 tipi and $600 sleeping bags. Too easy to take down and throw in a car quickly. I have a wall tent, but the sleeping bags and stuff I use for that camp are cheapies. Same with coolers, I have some el cheapo coolers. If they want them - it sucks, but whatever.

JNDEER

WKR
Jeep broken pax window, trailer broken into, at work had vehicle broken into was headed to trailhead after work and they took bow, optics, pack, etc. all under a massive blanket backed into a wall. two months ago during the week on a pig hunt had Jeep broken into at trail head. Took a 20 year old 50qt Coleman ice chest, all papers in glove box, old camo seat covers, prescription glasses, small bag of tools. If they want in... they will get in.. period.. I hate thieves and pray the day never comes I catch one!

Scrappy

WKR
Ive been to Montana now the past three years and i have had my vehicle broke into every time. The homeless thieves just move in and poop and piss on everything. As well as chew everything up. If anyone has a proven way to keep the field mice out i would love to hear it.

Rob5589

WKR
Ive been to Montana now the past three years and i have had my vehicle broke into every time. The homeless thieves just move in and poop and piss on everything. As well as chew everything up. If anyone has a proven way to keep the field mice out i would love to hear it.
We had several last year at base camp. At night we'd blind them with our headlamps and stomp them. I'm going to bring traps this year. Should at least thin the population some.

Rob5589

WKR
Jeep broken pax window, trailer broken into, at work had vehicle broken into was headed to trailhead after work and they took bow, optics, pack, etc. all under a massive blanket backed into a wall. two months ago during the week on a pig hunt had Jeep broken into at trail head. Took a 20 year old 50qt Coleman ice chest, all papers in glove box, old camo seat covers, prescription glasses, small bag of tools. If they want in... they will get in.. period.. I hate thieves and pray the day never comes I catch one!
Damn dude, where are you located? Sounds like meth heads.

JNDEER

WKR
CA.
(best guess)
-Broken window anti hunters
-Trailer was local hunters from the area I was in.
-crack/meth head broke into vehicle at work, video surveillance
-Recent Jeep break in probably more meth heads taking whatever they could.

one Thing to remember for those who will use “insurance” as their safe haven. They will always get what’s theirs and your property claim stays on the record for 3 years and your rate increase will cover some of you loss.

cmahoney

WKR
CA.
(best guess)
-Broken window anti hunters
-Trailer was local hunters from the area I was in.
-crack/meth head broke into vehicle at work, video surveillance
-Recent Jeep break in probably more meth heads taking whatever they could.

one Thing to remember for those who will use “insurance” as their safe haven. They will always get what’s theirs and your property claim stays on the record for 3 years and your rate increase will cover some of you loss.

Prop 47 at work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a tent site, I zip tie my zippers together with an off color and size. Once had a feeling someone was snooping in my set up but nothing was taken. Just let's me know nothing was messed with while away. My pickup cab looks like a supermarket. Food is laid out and arranged neatly so I can make food pack up and go. Nothing much important is left in tent or truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
Had a suppressed bolt action .22 stolen out of my truck while deer hunting. Rifle was in a locked case under the back seat but partially visible. Came back to the truck to find a busted window and a hammer laying on the back seat. I should have hid it better but hindsight is 20/20. People are pigs bottom line. Take precautions to keep yourself from being a target... such as removing the Glock sticker on the back telling everyone theres a free G19 in the console. It takes just one time of being violated like that to change your mindset completely.

MJB

WKR
As long as you don't have a California plate your fine.

If you do....an up side down California state flag sticker or a don't tread on me flag and pray for mercy......

Rokwiia

WKR
Are these trailheads that you folks are going to and getting vandalized remote or close to civilization? I've never had anyone mess with my vehicle nor has any of my friends. Where I go, you're miles from civilization where I wouldn't expect someone to saunter up to a vehicle and attempt to vandalize it for fear they would be easily identified and the ones at risk.

I never leave information at a trailhead register. If my vehicle was the last one in the pull off or parking area, it would be easy for a vandal to see from my entry in that register that I wouldn't be returning for another day or two. The vehicle would be a sitting duck. In these days of InReach Mini and GPS texting, in my opinion, there is no reason to leave route information publicly for search and rescue purposes that can end up jeopardizing your trip.

Fatcamp

WKR

Where do you live?

ETA: Kinda figured that.

I’ve never really worried much about that. We camp in a high traffic area which has its pros and cons and there is almost always someone back at camp

fingers

FNG
Thieves have got in my house and truck (Phoenix=awful) but not yet a trail heads. The last few trips I had a Swarovski ATX and didn't want to carry it every day and left it in the truck or trailer. This year I think if I don't want to pack it everyday it stays home. It seems it's only a matter of time until someone breaks in.

njdoxie

WKR
Should be legal to shoot thieves, I've always thought that breaking and entering and stealing should put your life in jeopardy every time you do it.

A buddy and I returned to my truck from a couple days mountaineering trip in blizzard conditions near dark. We were exhausted, hungry, wet, and cold. My truck was the only vehicle at the trail head. Someone broke in, stole all our dry clothes, food and my truck’s battery. I walked 4 more miles in the dark to get to the highway and flagged a passing motorist down. My buddy stayed at the truck in his wet sleeping bag. It was the next day before I could get back up there with a battery to get my buddy and truck. The experience has emotionally scarred me for life LOL.

At that time, I didn’t have two nickels and my beater truck wasn’t worth the cost of new tires. Today I try to leave a hidden trail camera near our vehicle.

We had several last year at base camp. At night we'd blind them with our headlamps and stomp them. I'm going to bring traps this year. Should at least thin the population some.

Get a chlorine tablet from someone with a swimming pool and when you set up your campsite, crush it inside a bag to powder and sprinkle it around your tent. If erecting a longer term (season) base camp bring more and place tiny chunks sound the perimeter of your camp. One whiff keeps everything from mice to bears away. After several rains it degrades. One guy in Utah (Wasatch) did this at a trailhead to protect is beater of a truck. When he returned five days later there were a few other cars parked there that had been destroyed by bears. His truck was untouched. I've been doing this for years, it works. Will keep snakes from collecting under a hunting blind too.

Last edited: