Worried about theft back at the truck while hunting?

Oregon

WKR
It must suck to worry about theft! I could care less. Leave nothing of high value, and my doors are unlocked.
A locked door will not deter a thief.
Broken windows suck!

Oregon

WKR
I close and lock my topper and my tailgate. I then back my truck up to a big tree. Thieves can't get the topper door or the tailgate down to get in or get gear out. Lastly I keep one set of keys in my day pack and another either hidden under a rock or in my partners day pack/

Actually the smartest thing I’ve read in awhile

My topper lock works but it isn't really keeping anybody out who wants in. Be smart and hope for the best.

I would do the lock box and hide anything else in the woods. But still think that its a slim chance that anything gets stolen.
Maybe you could also set a trail cam up?

Swayze

FNG
x2 on the backing up to a tree, rock, hill, or other object that prevents bed and camper shell from being open. Look for parking spots based these features.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
My jeeps soft top opens with zippers, so nothing of value is left in it. If I do need to leave something, I have a huge waterproof bag I put it in and stash it in the bushes. It’s very thick in western Washington so it’s almost impossible for someone to find it if they aren’t looking for it. I’ve also put up trail cams on my vehicle. It is very high theft around here so I take precautions.

Squamch

WKR
I have a toolbox with a chain across the lid for stuff left in my pickup. I also leave an open gun case across the front seats.
4runner, I just put the open gun case on top of everything, lock it and walk away. Tools, saw, etc are all visible through the back window...under an empty rifle case.
My 4runner has stickers, but they're not for gear brands.

I hunt many states and "some places" are sketchier than others (especially in Calif). If I gotta park on a popular trailhead with elevated risk, I lock everything up and conspicuously place this sign. Not only does it prevent break-ins but discourages other hunters from hitting the area I am. Shhh...don't tell anyone. ;) Let's keep it between us Roksliders, don't repost or share anywhere else.

SAR SIGN.png

Last edited:

DavePwns

WKR
What do you guys keep in your truck that is valuable besides a cooler and some spare food? I have never worried about theft because I take my gear with me in my pack

OP
Jagger0502
What do you guys keep in your truck that is valuable besides a cooler and some spare food? I have never worried about theft because I take my gear with me in my pack

I will be driving from PA to MT, so aside from coolers which are not too cheap nowadays, I will have a chainsaw, fishing gear, the normal pistols in the truck that don’t leave, likely a 22 or shotgun to small game hunt if I am lucky enough to tag out early, possibly a bigger tent to truck camp in comfort, ax and who knows what I might throw in last minute. It’s a two day trip out and back and planning to be there for 14 days so I will likely ha e a lot of crap, most I won’t use but will likely take.

Beendare

WKR
Ive been hunting the western states for over 35 years. We did have antis trash my buddies truck in NorCal once years ago.

last yr in northern NM there were 2 complete camps stolen. I talked to the one guy: kifaru tipi WM bag matt yeti cooler- his whole camp. He called the sheriff and the sheriff told him about another similar case.

Its a bit disturbing as it seems things are changing.

3forks

WKR
Saw this on a FB for hiking the Colorado Trail:

This occurred at a well known trailhead today. Can’t imagine how much it would suck to get off the trail and find that some asshole stole the wheels off your car.
1593220326613.jpeg
1593220350562.jpeg
1593220378179.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Guy
Everyone left our campsite to go fishing, I stayed behind to clean up, do some chores and take a bath in the stream. As I returned there were two asshats walking right thru the middle of our camp seemingly taking inventory. I open carry and made sure they got a close look at my .44, it must be unsettling to see a big ole wet, half naked guy wearing a big revolver cuz they never returned. I have trust issues, especially in Calif.IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Everyone left our campsite to go fishing, I stayed behind to clean up, do some chores and take a bath in the stream. As I returned there were tow asshats walking right thru the middle of our camp seemingly taking inventory. I open carry and made sure they got a close look at my .44, it must be unsettling to see a big ole wet, half naked guy wearing a big revolver cuz they never returned. I have trust issues, especially in Calif.View attachment 192356
View attachment 192357
Sounds sexy and scary at the same time :ROFLMAO:
People suck a lot of the time, unfortunately.

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, don't worry about the truck (Jeep in my case) a lot - but - when I set up a camp and walk away from it in the morning to hunt it's a concern. So much is there: tent, sleeping bag(s) stove clothing, BEER, etc...

Muzzle loader hunt for mule deer some years ago. Four of us were camping together with a nice wall tent, stove, etc... Pre-dawn we hiked up a ridge. One of the guys turned and saw what he thought was a light in our camp. Everybody was worried that our camp was getting ransacked. I volunteered to go down and check.

Glad that I did! :)

1. Found that our camp was just fine, what we had seen was a light at a nearby camp of other hunters, a few hundred yards from our place. In the dark it was an easy mistake to make, about where that light really was.

2. While hiking back up to my buddies... I came across a nice mule deer buck and shot it with my 50 cal traditional muzzle loader. :) Yes, it was a very good decision to go back and check on camp.

Guy

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
It's GREAT to have a fellow along who enjoys being in and near camp BTW.

Someone who maintains security, and stays busy splitting wood, filling the water jugs, making sure there's a great meal awaiting the returning hunters.

As I've gotten older, I do more of that. I enjoy the camping. Get some reading done. Take some photos. Maybe do a little fly fishing if there's good water nearby. And... I keep my loaded rifle handy, in case a buck or bear happens to wander near camp while the younger guys are up in the hills hunting. :)

Guy