Worse accuracy up close?

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
The point of aim (or dot on the target) usually is bigger the closer you get, so pin float gets to be a thing. Like 5miles said, pick smaller aim points instead of bigger "blob" which when you are in the area of the blob and release your arrow, you may be way left in the blob or way right. Aiming at the line like he said gives you a smaller target and more precise aiming point.

Ebby

WKR
I've noticed the same thing though. I tend to shoot 2-4" groups at 20 but can usually do the same at 60. For me, I think its overthinking it a little. I want to shoot tiny little groups and I try to concentrate and then end up pulling a shot or something. At longer ranges, I just do my normal thing and its usually better. Frustrating for sure.

Lee

Are you trying to shoot groups at 20, or at individual targets/circles? Something I've noticed when I practice a lot at longer ranges is that I shoot groups at 40+ because the chance of hitting another arrow is slim. As I get in to 20, if I try to shoot groups, I get nervous about hitting my other arrows so I tend to aim off to the sides (which makes my groups less impressive than they should be). I shoot better "groups" at 20 when I shoot at 5 separate spots.

Anyone shoot worse up close? For the last few years I've noticed that my group at 20 yards is usually the same as 30 and 40 yards. I thought it was just an old low end bow, but I just bought a Matthews V3X and am having the same thing. I've moved between 20 and 50 yards and the 20 is always the worst (relatively speaking, it's frequently the same spread as at longer distances). The bow was tuned and set up properly at a good shop.

What may cause this? I thought maybe it was because I start at 20 when cold. But even after warming up further and going back they're still bad. It doesn't really matter for hunting but it's making me scratch my head.
Taking the short shots for granted.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Are you trying to shoot groups at 20, or at individual targets/circles? Something I've noticed when I practice a lot at longer ranges is that I shoot groups at 40+ because the chance of hitting another arrow is slim. As I get in to 20, if I try to shoot groups, I get nervous about hitting my other arrows so I tend to aim off to the sides (which makes my groups less impressive than they should be). I shoot better "groups" at 20 when I shoot at 5 separate spots.
Groups. It's funny friends say they wont shoot groups at 20 because they'll continually bust arrows. That's how bad I am...I shoot 4 arrows groups at 20 a ton and it's only happened once...haha

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Taking the short shots for granted.
Definitely not. I spend 95% of my practice at 20 yards focusing on fundamentals since it's all I get in my backyard.

I'm shooting a Matrix target. It doesn't seem to matter if I shoot at the small dot or big dot. I'm going to get some coaching and see if they can figure it out.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure what kind of sight you are using. But if it's a multi-pin sight, maybe where your pin sits in the housing is causing you to change your anchor point slightly. Meaning it's probably easier to consistently anchor and center the the 40, 50, 60 yard pins. But your 20 pin sits higher in the housing and you are "adjusting" slightly to get it centered causing some inconsistency. Just a thought.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Man is this frustrating. I just did a lesson and it was probably the best money I've ever spent on archery. However, I got home, applied all the stuff I learned to a 4 shot group and this again....thumbnail_IMG_5671.jpg

KHNC

WKR
I assume you have a good backstop, as i in safe if you miss. Draw , aim, settle your pin on the target. Close your eyes and concentrate on a solid release. I can do this and still hit the 10 ring. You should still be really close. Do this at 10 yards if 20 makes you uncomfortable. You should start getting groups this way if you are relaxed.

Marble

WKR
What is the bow set up? DL, poundage, arrow length, spine, tip weight etc?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk