Worst Case Scenario - Bad Shot

Wellsdw

WKR
I feel your pain. Lost two deer back to back years, and really took the passion of hunting away for a while. Food for thought, There is some really good podcasts out regarding blood trailing dogs. They go in depth about shot placement, broadheads, blood analysis and wait time to track, weather using a dog or not. Something to consider next time. My pup will be with me in Wyoming On standby just in case.

Get back at it

I feel bad for you.

But hey, at least some jerkoff resident from Denver didnt take up your blood trail on your gutshot animal and bump your bull into the next unit.

Been there brother, probably one of the worst days you will have in the field. My grand dad would say there are only 2 types of hunters...those that have wounded an animal and not recovered it and those that will.

BigPine

FNG
I really hope you’re back out there again . The fact that it’s bothering you so much is proof you’re the right kind of guy , you’d be welcome at my camp anytime. Similar thing happened to my oldest son on his first elk hunt , on a nice bull at 30 yards . Arrow clipped a branch half the diameter of a pencil . It ran off with half the arrow sticking out and high up. Lost blood at 200 yards and we could here it bugling heading up and over a ridge that went straight up, far away. I’m not sure who was more sick, him or me.
Forward to to our next hunt 2 years later . My son was beside me when 2 cows came running in to a call . Old cow came around a tree looking me in the eye at 20 yards, younger cow came around the other side of the tree looking right at us . As soon as she came to a stop I heard his bowstring and heard the arrow hit. Zero hesitation on his part and she piled up in 50 yards.

If you can't get your head over it, notch and void your tag for piece of mind.
It happens to all bow hunters. Yes it sucks, but at least you seem to have a conscience.
Elk are crazy tough. And for all you know that bull ran right up and stopped in front of another hunter broadside in the next drainage over.

Marble

WKR
Shit happens man, we've all made bad shots on chip shots, nobody's perfect. I drilled a gorgeous bull at 55 yards and 12 ringed him and watched him die 30 yards later. Came home and blew a 7 yard broadside shot on a whitetail out of a treestand, riddle me that? Heat of the moment things change.

What helps me is having the same draw routine. Mine's simple, draw, pick a spot, settle the pin, take a breath, and squeeze.

If it was high enough you hopefully hit above the spine and that bull is still bugling in a canyon somewhere. Below the spine and he's dead, maybe not yet, but he's dead, above the spine and he's sore but is likely chasing another cow. There's no such thing as a void, anatomically impossible. @KHNC you got in just before a void believer. It didn't take long for someone to chime in with the unicorn "void". Just busting your balls @BFR , but seriously...the void's not a thing, has been debunked plenty of times.

Can't shoot another one sulking at home, grab your bow and go kill something!
Ill just leave this info about the void..

I pulled 10 to 12 " of arrow out of a bull that broke rib entering and hit a rib on the far side. The placement was between 1 and 3 on the picture above. Below the spine. Arrow was broken off inside and had healed over. Broadhead had an entire "bulb" of tissue around a 3 blade G5 looking head.

I shot the bull late October with a rifle.

Antomy is generally universal. But we are all slightly different. No two bodies are exactly the same and there are anomalies.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
tmitty

tmitty

FNG
*Update* Packed back into the same canyon with my brother with the intent to stay the last few days of the hunt. We hiked all around the area I shot the bull last week. No sign of ravens or any carcass.

The canyon was on fire with bugles all day and night. As soon as we crested the ridge into our spot, we called in a giant 6 point to 15 yards, but he was quartering to me and I wasn't going to take a shot that wasn't 100%. The next morning we walked circles from camp for 30 minutes trying to decide which bugle to chase. "This one is closer, no this one is closer, no this one sounds bigger..."

We got on a bull about noon, who was with a big group of cows, pushing them around and screaming his head off. He was answering every bugle, but didn't want to leave his cows. We got the wind right and slipped in. I stood on the edge of the herd, waiting for my chance. A couple of his cows wandered up to within 15 yards of me and bedded down. Sure enough, a few minutes later he came to check on those cows. I drew and sealed the deal.

Redemption feels great. He wasn't the biggest bull I saw or drew on, but for my first elk down, I couldn't be happier. And what a fun hunt. Thanks for the encouragement after my first post, everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_7131.jpeg
    IMG_7131.jpeg
    594.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7150.jpeg
    IMG_7150.jpeg
    616.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7160.jpeg
    IMG_7160.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7161.jpeg
    IMG_7161.jpeg