Worth Adding a Pop-up?

I have a Pintler on the older GL frame. Camofire has Pop Ups for under $200 today. Is it worth adding a Pop Up to the fold for early season when I'm not carrying a lot of layers? Looking at space savings more so than weight savings.

Has anyone used a Pop up as their personal item on a flight? Thinking might be worth it for hunts if I'm flying. Right now, I use an Avail for that purpose but I don't particularly like that as a hunting bag.

Ddog

WKR
I love my 28 for whitetail hunting. Pretty sure I've read recently that people use them as carry-on, but I haven't personally. Under $200 is a great deal, I looked everywhere for a good price on mine a couple years ago and I paid around $220 shipped. I might grab a 38 for the extra space for clothes, but so far I've been able to stuff all my crap into the 28 with a stand and sticks strapped on.

Love mine and that is a great price. It’s my main whitetial pack. 28 was too small for me when I started carrying layers. I updated to the 38. I have not flown with it as carryon but I think it would work if not stuffed to the gills. It is def shorter and more compact than my pintler.

OP
Banded_spooney
Love mine and that is a great price. It’s my main whitetial pack. 28 was too small for me when I started carrying layers. I updated to the 38. I have not flown with it as carryon but I think it would work if not stuffed to the gills. It is def shorter and more compact than my pintler.
will a full size spotter fit in a 28 if I'm not carrying anything else except a kill kit, water and a few granola bars?

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I've used my 38 as a carry on successfully. Pack full through TSA, collapse frame and pull out one of those drawstring bags packed full as my "personal item" when boarding, 38 fits in luggage rectangle (that most everyone else's rolling suitcase wouldn't). Using it as a personal item in addition to a suitcase probably would not work if it's packed full, likely depends on gate attendant/flight fullness level.

tony

WKR
Thought about one off camofire, couple of things:
They charge shipping, like $20.00, 10 day returns, and some bullshit "protection" plan they try and bribe you into to "protect" your order.
Black Orivs has them for $209.00, free shipping, 30 day returns and no "protection plan"

OP
Banded_spooney
Thought about one off camofire, couple of things:
They charge shipping, like $20.00, 10 day returns, and some bullshit "protection" plan they try and bribe you into to "protect" your order.
Black Orivs has them for $209.00, free shipping, 30 day returns and no "protection plan"
It’s annoying because Camofire is Black Ovis

Also Rokslide discount on BlackOvis brings that price down even more.

Shipping is only 10 from Camofire though and you can waive the bs protection fee

Dos XX

WKR

Shipping is only 10 from Camofire though and you can waive the bs protection fee
Do you know what the discount code is for Black Ovis? I tried ROKSLIDE 10 AND 20. No luck.

tony

WKR

Its $20.00 to WV plus tax.
And this protection fee? I'm seeing more outfits adding this. Are they not responsible for covering the package not arriving or arriving damaged? I understand the shipper is responsible as the shipper. Seems like a way to get out of replacing an item.

This is from the Camofire website:

———————————

Camofire Shipping Protection Policy​

We offer an optional shipping protection service for your package during checkout at camofire.com. Opting in will ensure you receive an easy and timely refund or placement for your order in the event that your package has been lost, damaged, or stolen. We will replace or refund your order within 5-7 business days of starting a claim.

If shipping protection has not been chosen and your package is lost, stolen or damaged, we will review the issue on a case-by-case basis and work with the shipping carriers to launch an investigation on their end which can take 3-4 weeks.

———————————

I’d say that there’s at least some value in case your shipment is stolen off of your front porch. They will replace it and say that >$500 value needs a police report filed. I had a package for an optic over $2,500 stolen a year ago and getting it resolved was a nightmare. From the company I bought it from - it was delivered to the address I provided. From the shipping carrier - it was delivered to the address I provided and a photo of it at my front door was on file. I was told to file a police report as it’s considered delivered, and now it’s my property once it’s placed on the doorstep. I installed a Ring Video Doorbell a week later.

From that experience alone, I have no problem paying the protection charge on certain shipments.

Last edited:

tony

WKR
Never thought of it the way you mention. (y) Guess it is mine if they leave it on the porch.

Macintosh

WKR
I have a first gen pop up 18 that Ive used as a carry on at least 6 or 8 times. 28 should also fit. Not sure what you were getting at, but never had anything even remotely resembling a hassle, to the airline its just a backpack. Every roller board, suitcase, etc has metal stays and rods in it at this point, so its nothing different.
i dont usually hunt with a spotter, but last trip I carried-on my binos inside the pack along with other stuff and spotter cased and strapped across the top of the 18l, and a full size tripod with ball head vertically in the load shelf. spotter will fit inside a 28 no problem.

OP
Banded_spooney
I have a first gen pop up 18 that Ive used as a carry on at least 6 or 8 times. 28 should also fit. Not sure what you were getting at, but never had anything even remotely resembling a hassle, to the airline its just a backpack. Every roller board, suitcase, etc has metal stays and rods in it at this point, so its nothing different.
i dont usually hunt with a spotter, but last trip I carried-on my binos inside the pack along with other stuff and spotter cased and strapped across the top of the 18l, and a full size tripod with ball head vertically in the load shelf. spotter will fit inside a 28 no problem.
I wasn’t asking if it would fit as a carry on. I was asking if it would work as your one personal item. Meaning I still want to use my roller suitcase as my carry on.

My avail 2200 does work as a personal item, my pintler does not.

Macintosh

WKR
As a “personal item” as opposed to a carry-on Im sure itll work some times and not others. I dont think it’ll be possible to get a definitve answer since its so subject to the whim and vigilance of the gate agent. By the book, none of these packs fit the size requirements for a personal item on any of the airlines I’ve flown. roll the dice and be ready to gate-check one of your bags.

Last edited: