Worth adding caribou tag to moose hunt?

Teaman1

WKR
I’m trying to plan a fly in hunt in Alaska mainly for moose with a rifle. There’s an option to add a caribou tag. Do you guys think it’s worth it to add that tag in late September/October? I don’t know anything about their migration or hunting them. I’d like the opportunity to shoot on if possible, but I don’t want to spend the money if the odds are against me seeing one.

VernAK

WKR
Where are you hunting?

Moose don't migrate like caribou but may move about for the rut or too winter feeding areas.

How's pheasants looking this year?

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Moose would be my primary hunt, just unsure about bumping into a caribou. I haven’t gotten too into the details yet but the “southern brooks range” would have to go back and check the units.

Pheasants still aren’t where they were a few years ago. There definitely seems to be more this year than last year where I live

I’m trying to plan a fly in hunt in Alaska mainly for moose with a rifle. There’s an option to add a caribou tag. Do you guys think it’s worth it to add that tag in late September/October? I don’t know anything about their migration or hunting them. I’d like the opportunity to shoot on if possible, but I don’t want to spend the money if the odds are against me seeing one.
The question has to be where are you hunting? There are lots of really good moose areas that have almost no caribou so know your area.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
ask your pilot if you can expect to see caribou. If he says no, then you'll be able to make a semi informed decision.

There are at least three herds between canada and Kotzebue that span the "southern Brooks Range" so its vital to know specifics from your pilot, IMO

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
If you’re in the Southern brooks I’d say buy the caribou tag if you can swing it. You might now see a single bou, but would be awful to see a dream animal walk away because you don’t have a tag.

Or if it is that high quality a caribou you see "OR" if it is near the end of your moose hunt.........You have the option to use your Moose tag on a Caribou. Note: only can use higher cost tag in place of lower cost tag. Or tip over a wolf, if it is the last day to hunt.
I would invest the $60.00 for a Wolf tag, because I consider "Wolf" a trophy 100 times greater then a stupid caribou.
Actually I consider the Wolf a 100 times greater trophy then a stupid Moose also.......;)

Last edited:
OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Or if it is that high quality a caribou you see "OR" if it is near the end of your moose hunt.........You have the option to use your Moose tag on a Caribou. Note: only can use higher cost tag in place of lower cost tag. Or tip over a wolf, if it is the last day to hunt.
I would invest the $60.00 for a Wolf tag, because I consider "Wolf" a trophy 100 times greater then a stupid caribou.
Actually I consider the Wolf a 100 times greater trophy then a stupid Moose also.......;)

I’d heard that before and totally forgot about it. I’ll have to ask about that.
I just started talking to the outfitter this week

Most of my guys pick up a wolf tag and some will see one but only a few will get one. Smart animals! Cheap that though. As was said before if it the last day or so of your hunt consider taking a nice caribou because you have the moose tag..Convertible! By the way... Moose and Caribou taste way better than a dumb old wolf!:)