Worth buying another .30 cal to save on reloading tools

bachunt

FNG
I own a .300 win, looking to get another rifle so my brother/wife can hunt with me. Plus who doesn’t want another rifle...

would it be worth getting another .30 cal so that when I commit to reloading I don’t need extra dyes etc? I don’t really know what I’m talking about, just trying to be proactive for the future. I realize the bullets/brass etc will be different.
Thank you for the help !

Every different cartridge will require different dies. You would not want to use the same dies for a .308 Win, 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM, etc even though all 3 use .30 caliber bullets. If you wanted to keep as much the same as possible, you'd need two rifles in identical cartridges (not identical calibers...yes there is a difference). Even then, you still may end up with different powder/bullet combos depending on what each rifle likes/dislikes. And I'd recommend doing a LOT of reading on reloading. It can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
Even the same rifle calibers made in the same factory could have different chamber dimensions due to reamer tool wear to be honest. Reloading is about building the round for the specific rifle. You might have great accuracy with one and lack luster from the other, trying to use the same loads for both or pressure signs from one and not the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bachunt

FNG
Thank you for the advice. Very helpful. I have a lot to learn and excited to dive in! Aside from dies, would there be other components that I could share between two carriages? If not I think I’ll focus my reloading on my .300 win and then get another rifle with lots of factory ammo options for the time being

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
The first decision is weather you want to use the same brass and different bullet calibers or same bullet different brass. What’s the game you intend to take with the family? If it was elk or moose I’d say a 264 win mag would be the versatile choice with all the 6.5 that’ll soon me available. You could neck down the mag brass to 6.5, a flat shooter with a little less recoil. If you are intent on sticking with 30 caliber everything and your hunting deer go .308 and have all the same bullets. I stick with .224, .243 and .308 calibers, but the .257 and 264/6.5 are fine cartridges. Maybe sell the mag and get two 25-06 or .243 if you want to hunt a range of midsize game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
So this ones always been a stupid question in the back of my head, but why are seating dies cartridge specific vs caliber specific?

And as I type that out I'm guess it may be that the die surrounds/supports the brass to keep it from moving...?

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, if your going to buy another rifle for the wife and want to use components that your. 300 win uses, look at a .270 win. If you're not loading the 300 to some special heavy bullet recipe, many powders you can use in the. 300 will work in the .270. And you can use large rifle magnum primers in the. 270 too. Yes you'll need dies and bullets, but you'll need that too if you go with a .308 win or 30-06 and stick to 165 grain bullets. The .308 win and 165 bullets which would be a good round for your wife really doesnt share many powders with your 300 win. It's a nice thought but if your going to go all in on reloading for another 30 cal rifle that's not another .300 win, your going to have to buy specific components the rifle prefers. And as stated above, even if you have two .300 win rifles, one may prefer a certain bullet/powder combo over the other. That's the hobby though, time at the reloading bench and time at the range.

So this ones always been a stupid question in the back of my head, but why are seating dies cartridge specific vs caliber specific?

And as I type that out I'm guess it may be that the die surrounds/supports the brass to keep it from moving...?

Aligns the bullet and case so the bullet is seated as concentric as possible.

OP, i wouldn't let future reloading components dictate which chambering you choose. My thoughts on the components that have potential to be used for both:

- Bullets - could use the same bullets as 308 or 30/06 but I personally like a heavier bullet in 300wm than id want to shoot in the smaller cartridges
- Primers - they use the same size but i'd start with Large rifle primers in 308 and '06 and Magnum Large Rifle primers in a WM
- Powder - probably wont overlap unless you are using a heavy bullet in 308 or '06 and a lighter bullet in 300wm, which is counter intuitive for most applications.

TX_Diver

WKR
.308 and 30-06 share a decent amount of powders (IMR 4895, 4064, 4350, Varget, etc.). Not all at the same bullet weights but you could make it work.

As I figure out loads I'm trying to consolidate to larger quantities of a few powders vs small quantities of many (while still keeping a bit of overlap and flexibility)

OP
B

bachunt

FNG
OP, i wouldn't let future reloading components dictate which chambering you choose. My thoughts on the components that have potential to be used for both:

- Bullets - could use the same bullets as 308 or 30/06 but I personally like a heavier bullet in 300wm than id want to shoot in the smaller cartridges
- Primers - they use the same size but i'd start with Large rifle primers in 308 and '06 and Magnum Large Rifle primers in a WM
- Powder - probably wont overlap unless you are using a heavy bullet in 308 or '06 and a lighter bullet in 300wm, which is counter intuitive for most applications.
Thank you. Very easy to understand the differences and nuances thanks to this.

Chanimal

FNG
Here's my thought process.. I have a 300 RUM, and recently bought a 6.5 PRC. I wanted something lighter that I could shoot without a muzzle break.

Typically the first components that are hard to track down in a shortage are powder and primers. I can interchange powder and primers with my RUM and PRC. I only have to track down a couple components that are specific to each cartridge, otherwise I was setup for the 6.5. If you want something else, I would look at another smaller magnum that can use the same powder and primers.

rayporter

WKR
it is a worthy goal to stick with 30 cal. it really is. a couple 8 lb jugs of powder and a sleeve of primers for mags and large rifle and ......

it wont last. it is just how we are. first thing ya know you will want something else. cause, well, just cause.

but is aint a bad goal to start with at all.

tdhanses

WKR
The dies are about the cheapest part of reloading, get a cal suitable for your wife so she actually shoots. If you ever get into reloading you’ll find it’s not cheap.

Every time I have made a decision based on thin economics it hasn’t paid off. I’d get what’s best for her and if there are some commonalities that’s just a bonus.

KineKilla

WKR
I've found that having two rifles of the same chambering does not necessarily mean that you will not need (want) different tools and supplies. I load for three from the same manufacturer even (270 BDL, 270 ADL and a 270 mod783)

You can share the dies if you don't mind having to adjust them often. Shell holders will be the same.

One rifle may not like the same powder as the other, maybe it doesn't like to shoot 180gr and only likes 150 or 200., etc.

I've found that loading for two rifles of the same caliber may as well be reloading for two different calibers. It is reloading for two different rifles after all.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk