Worth the extra weight? sleeping pad

Blaw

WKR
ok I need some advice from others here with more experience.
Basically I am looking at getting an insulated sleeping pad and am partial to Klymit do to comfort and price
I use a floorless shelter with tyvek ground cloth
I am 6.3' tall and 215lbs of athletic build.
I have a non insulated Klymit pad that is the same dimensions as the static v lite.....but I am a back and side sleeper and on my back my arms don't fit easily on the pad with me (concerned when i start camping in colder temps). is the 11.7oz weight difference worth it?
They are also the same price right now :)
I hunt in the foothills of western alberta just before the rockies

My question is between 2 pads

Klymit static v lite
Inflated Size: 72" x 23" x 2.5"
R-Value of 4.4
weight 19.6oz

and

Klymit static v lux sl
Inflated size 78 x 27 x 3. 5 inches
R-Value 6.5
weight 31.3oz

Thanks in advance!

S.Clancy

WKR
If you sleep better, go for it. If the rest of your gear is dialed, an extra 12 oz is like taking a piss before you start hiking. Just don't let the "extra comfort" bleed into everything else or you'll be carrying 60 lbs for a weekend hunt.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’m with the earlier posters. I started ultralight with my sleeping pads but settled on something heavier (and more comfortable) after some restless nights. Better places to stress over ozs.

Mudd Foot

WKR
IMO, a comfortable sleep system makes the trip. Everything else can suck (weather, lack of animals, long hike in/out, sore feet from long miles, dehydrated food, etc.) except marginal sleep due to marginal comfort. I spend the most money and weight on my sleep system versus other categories.

There are other ways to cut pack-in weight, but I am not aware of any healthy practical way to make up for restless, uncomfortable sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Just like the others said, I tried uninsulated, half length pads etc and almost always end up with a insulated full length even in the summers in the high country. I’ll instead go with a lighter quilt. It’s more versatile hat way and quality sleep is reliable.

Shrek

WKR
Absolutely go with the insulated pad. You’ll likely to not need as heavy of a sleeping bag and the weight will be close to a wash.

ljalberta

WKR
I also started in the ounce-counting camp, but have realized the weight is worth it in a few areas, primarily, quality of sleep and warmth. As everyone else has stated, the extra ounces will be well worth a good nights sleep.

elkduds

WKR
You could insulate your current klymit w a closed cell foam layer like Zrest, etc. But they tend to slide apart without straps. It is like a layering system but for pads.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I went ultralight for a few years. I finally sized up to the Static V luxe and have not regretted it. Sleep is key to rebuilding your body for the next day, and the next day...

I just used the Static v lux the other day. I was not impressed at all. The outer edges are not insulated like the center section and my arms got cold, 21 degrees one night and 26 the other. Also the outer edges are lower than the center section which can cause you to roll that way if you slip over.

Mudd Foot

WKR
You could insulate your current klymit w a closed cell foam layer like Zrest, etc. But they tend to slide apart without straps. It is like a layering system but for pads.

For this reason I invested in both a Big Agnes QLX wide and long, and a Lost Dog 15 bag. The bag has a sleeve for the pad. It works beautifully. I then put them inside a Borah Gear bivy to keep everything together. Yes it’s overkill. But you could place a closed foam pad under the pad for extra warm, and the bivy will keep it from sliding apart.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For a real light pad , I just go ccf . I’ve stopped trying to use an air pad and be super light . I do like the new apex pad from thermarest ... we will see over time how it goes. However , I do sleep well with it and it’s simple.

I sleep on a desert walker cot with a z lite pad on top. Well worth the extra weight.