Worth the weight?

dotman

WKR
Again, I live in BC, British Columbia, Canada. Where do you think most of your good weed comes from? LOL. Grow ops in the back country up here are a dime a dozen and have been going on for decades. I personally stumble upon a few a year, every year. Like i said, im not hating, to each there own just dont get it. And probably never will. hahaha

IF you want some links. Google, grow ops in BC, and you'll get about 50,000 hits.

Yeah but you have hippies growing it up there not mexican drug cartels :)

Carry a Sig Sauer P226 .40 S&W (for the Marine/Montanan in me...) and too much of a medical kit (for the EMT in me...). The pistola is for piece of mind with the crazies running around and the bears/wolves/lion, and the medical kit because I would rather have it and not need it then vica versa. I don't like to be unprepared, plain and simple.

Full size spotter for me, Razor HD 20-60x85. It's probably more weight than I need or I could get a lighter make and model. My aging tied eyes need all the help I can get.

Otherwise I'll skimp on pretty much all I can on weight and comforts to get a very light and lean pack. I try and keep myself fit or at least keep my body weight down to also compensate a bit but over the years I've come to love the challenge of making up an ultralight pack. It's been an ongoing challenge as well as working out. It also makes more fun to go in light, saving up my energy for coming out heavy :).

JNDEER

WKR
I bring a pair of socks for each day. I usually do not have time to run a pair in water to get them clean and hunting in CA july/august it is down right hot, sweaty and stinky. The last thing I want is to risk some fungal infection on my feet while trying to pack out.

My Purcell Trench Grill. I have the Streamside Travelers model and at 5.8oz. worth it's weight in oz... Perfect for cooking fresh venison, elk, fish or whatever!

Easton

FNG
Deck of cards and a very small cribbage board (if with a partner). My scandium .44magnum and holster for the hip belt of the pack (carried even while training, bears are a problem in Alaska) and crocs always go with me but might switch to my Nike free's instead (more comfy and stay on my feet for creek crossings, also only 7 oz.)

Hey Aron - Am I nuts for carrying a 24oz. survival knife like the Ontario SP50? It makes quick work of log splitting and, coupled with my Sawvivor, I've got all angles covered.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There's no way I would carry that thing! All I bring is a Havalon with some extra blades and a Benchmade folder.

I don't bring a saw either:)

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I carry both a Thermarest Short Z-Lite Pad and Neoair. I love the Z-Lite for glassing, plus it provides a little protection under my Neoair. The Neoair is incredibly comfortable to sleep on versus my Z-Lite pad.

I used to try and use a 30 degree North Face sleeping bag but always froze my butt off. My North Face Tundra is a little overboard, but the warmth is worth it to me.

Then I also pack my Crocs and a Spotting Scope.

I carry a Thermarest Short Z Lite pad and a Thermarest Pro Lite Plus Short...though I use the women's version of that cause it's lighter and has more padding in the hips :) I use the Z Lite when I sit down to spot or ambush elk..and I also put it under my Pro Lite Plus for extra padding at night. I also pack Crocs.

PhillyB

WKR
I didn't know crocs in the back country were such a hit. Do you bring them to let your feet air out at night while cooking dinner and settling in for the night?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
S&W 329 over any other choices by far!

Thats the one I carry if I am carrying a side arm....that said it kicks like a mule and not my first choice to suggest to a lady to carry. A standard .44 mag is a bit much for most women light alone one that weighs in 33% less than most standard 44s.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan, thanks for the suggestion.

I've read some information that bear spray is the best way to go? I myself would prefer the pistol option (dead is dead if you can hit it).

Do any of you consider the bear spray? Why or why not?

i carried bear spray for a couple reasons, i found it to be affective at close - med range when accuracy may be challenged, i don't have a pistol, and it has been proven to be a great deterrent. Now I keep it in my house at an easy to reach place, just incase we get someone not welcome. I think it will work well on humans too. granted it doesn't have the ease of a reload but you could always carry a spare if you're that worried. I spent many a days in the woods of the S.E. Ak and only ran into a bear when I was hunting it :) Maybe i was just lucky.
If you've never lined up for a pepper spray ( i had to being military law enforcement ) it's not a good time, it hurts.

Thats the one I carry if I am carrying a side arm....that said it kicks like a mule and not my first choice to suggest to a lady to carry. A standard .44 mag is a bit much for most women light alone one that weighs in 33% less than most standard 44s.
i hear ya but thats what my wife carries all the time, she hung up her springfield EMP for that. and she's not a big girl or anything like that, 135lb max.
I've also been told x-frame grips will tone it down alot. so really I'm passing on a woman's recommendation...