Worth upgrading Elite Energy 35 60 lb bow to something faster?

North

FNG
Last season I picked up a used Elite Energy 35. It was marked as a 70 pound bow but after buying it I discovered it was actually a 60 pound bow, so it’s currently maxed out at 64 pounds. With my 30” draw and my arrow weight just under 500 grains I believe it’s shooting around 262 fps. I like the easy draw of the 64 pounds but my previous bows were 70 pound draw so I don’t need it that light. I like the bow and shoot it well but I can’t help but wonder if I’d be better off with a newer 70 pound model with more speed. It did fully pass through an elk last year at pretty close range. Not as much concerned with how hard it’s hitting as I am shooting flatter if I were to not get a perfect range on something. Thoughts?

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I have your exact same set up and have chronoed a 525 grain arrow at 70lbs and it was shooting 268 fps.

After seeing that I went into the same this delima you are having. I love my E35 but it's too slow for my liking. I bought a Hoyt Hyperforce. Sold the Hoyt Hyperforce, then bought an Elite Frankenbow, sold that, then bought a Bowtech Sr6 and now about the sell that. Now I am back to my E35 and of course I still love shooting it at 68lbs and 640 grain arrows cruising at 240 fps. But like yourself I want more speed so I am going to do the following.

Buy an Impulse 34, swap the limbs out for 80lbs (these 80lb bows draw better than a lot of the 70lb speed bows), put Energy or Ritual cams on it and pretty much have a 6" BH E35. I would expect the bow to shoot a 600 grain arrow close to 270fps with a 30" draw and probably shoot a 500 around 295-300fps.

Just another option before buying a new bow.

Thats a nice bow and your set up will kill big critters for sure. Sounds like its comfy for you too. I'd stick with the set up your using.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'd probably drop some arrow weight and shoot it like it is. If you drop down 40 grains in weight you will probably pick up about 10 fps. Try an arrow around 450 grains. I have seen plenty of arrows sub 400 grain kill elk. I think you will still be fine. Accuracy is better than power in my opinion. Use a good broadhead.

If you want to upgrade the limbs you have that option as well, but it might cost you some accuracy.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
If you at comfortable with shooting it, I’d drop arrow weight a touch. You might gain 10ish FPS switching to al ost any bow that is as forgiving. Take into consideration that your set up currently is the same speed as someone shooting 28” at 70# or 29” at 65# which is the average range of the General shooter

I’d say be comfortable unless you just want a switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Faster is always good IMO. Flatter trajectory for when things happen fast and the range may be misjudged by a bit. More energy for an arrow that encounters something hard. I went up from 50# to 61# on my Elite GTO and am working toward maxing it @ 65#. No regrets other than drawing that weight @ 30" and no let off till I hit the end of the draw cycle took some getting used too as I went up in weight especially the day after certain workouts.
420gr. with the GTO @ 61# and 30" is 285fps.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
Your not going to gain a world of difference in speed going up 6lb. Lighten the arrow weight some would help, speed wise. Or buy a new bow, I would buy an 80lb. If your looking for speed with heavier arrows. So yea scratch the itch, buy a new bow.

I wouldn't get rid of that bow if you get another. Not for a while anyway.

$180 for barnesdale limbs. Not certain what elite would cost or the availability. If you purchase another set of limbs you can still go back to the setup your using later if you don't like it.

OP
North

North

FNG
Thanks for the variety of answers. Unfortunately the cost of limb replacement or lighter arrows makes me think if I were to decide I needed more speed I’d opt to go the route of a new bow. First I’d need to find a 70-80lb left hand model with a 30” draw in stock to shoot, which is going to be tough around here. I’ve been lucky in that I’ve never had to take a shot over 20 yards, but occasionally shooting the wrong pin when target shooting shows me how bad things could be if I were to take a shot with misjudged yardage.

hemi0813

FNG
I have your exact same set up and have chronoed a 525 grain arrow at 70lbs and it was shooting 268 fps.

After seeing that I went into the same this delima you are having. I love my E35 but it's too slow for my liking. I bought a Hoyt Hyperforce. Sold the Hoyt Hyperforce, then bought an Elite Frankenbow, sold that, then bought a Bowtech Sr6 and now about the sell that. Now I am back to my E35 and of course I still love shooting it at 68lbs and 640 grain arrows cruising at 240 fps. But like yourself I want more speed so I am going to do the following.

Buy an Impulse 34, swap the limbs out for 80lbs (these 80lb bows draw better than a lot of the 70lb speed bows), put Energy or Ritual cams on it and pretty much have a 6" BH E35. I would expect the bow to shoot a 600 grain arrow close to 270fps with a 30" draw and probably shoot a 500 around 295-300fps.

Hello when you put the ritual cams on the impulse 34, what string and cable length do you go with. And how much does the ritual cams increase the draw weight.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I also own an E35 #70. I have mine backed off to about #65ish. I keep buying bows to find something "better". The E35 seem to have a bit of a cult following. I keep coming back to it. Keep your E35, you may very well regret selling it. If you need more power, find a newer #80. Elite did it right with the Energy 35

I bought a used bow, same thing thought 70 max ended up 60 max. That bow you have is fine as long as you’re happy with the trajectory at normal ranges.

I I’ve shot through moose elk, etc with 55lbs shooting a 460 grain arrow @ 230. I, like you, am trying to get to - higher FPS without getting a new bow. We shall see.

ahlgringo

WKR
As others have said, if you love that bow simply put some 80lb limbs on it. They can be found now and again on AT for like 50-75 bucks. I was shooting an 80lb synergy for years (same limbs) and loved that set up. I would still be shooting it if I hadn't went and shot a Remedy last year. I think I may even still have some 80lb energy limbs laying around. Pm me if you are interested.

CoStick

WKR
Speed doesn’t do much, you have one of the best hunting bows made, enjoy!

Scoot

WKR
Keep it-- you'll kill anything in North America with that setup. Plus you'll save your shoulders for later in life too.

those Energy bows are sweet bows, id keep it maybe shoot a little lighter arrow. there's been very minimal gains in new bow technology the last ten years. I still grab my bowtech experience pretty regularly and that came out around the same time.