Would a side arm be necessary? Also what caliber?

Planning an archery elk hunt in the western part of Colorado this fall, I’m just curious if it’s wise to bring a side arm, or should i not worry to much about it. I have a 9mm, if I decide to bring it, would that be to small?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DESERT ED

FNG
Get some +P “outdoorsman “ loads for your 9 and you should be good...
I carry my little 9 with 10 Buffalo Bore rounds.

OP
P
Ok is there any special paperwork or anything I’d need to bring with me in Colorado for carrying a side arm while archery hunting? I’m a nonresident if that makes a difference.

surso

FNG
Do you have a concealed carry or some other permit from your home state? Typically the states are pretty reciprocal.

OP
P
Yea I have my concealed carry I’m my home state

mlgc20

WKR
You don’t need a permit in Colorado to carry a sidearm while hunting. I typically carry my Glock 43X when hunting. If I feel I need some more horsepower, I will take my XDS 45.

Jbehredt

WKR
Not necessary. Before I carried everyday I never bothered to carry while hunting. Unfortunately I now feel naked without a gun so it gets hauled up and down the mountain with me. Your 9mm will be sufficient for anything you encounter here in CO. 10mm would be more sufficient if you’re looking for an excuse to buy a new gun....;)

Wrench

WKR
You don’t need a permit in Colorado to carry a sidearm while hunting. I typically carry my Glock 43X when hunting. If I feel I need some more horsepower, I will take my XDS 45.
Have you seen the shield arms mags for the 43x.....15 rounds with the same size as factory.

it's not necessary but bring it if it makes you feel better. my partner carried a 9mm while out there and we did get stopped by F&G. He didn't say anything about the side arm so I think your good. he did put up a stink about his gun safety certificate so bring that for sure.

So far in my experience I haven't seen a need for a side arm in nw Colorado but you never know.