Would like some help/advice on my Savage

Shrek

WKR
Or maybe a 6.5x284 barrel from the gun shack for $179 and a bolt head trade on savage shooters or longerange hunting . True longe range performer without the heavy recoil. Thats one of the great things about a savage. Keep the 300 win mag barrel and for $70 buy a new bolt head.
I don't know if you are aware that you can change barrels on a savage at home.

Last edited:

ckleeves

WKR
I guess I'm the only one who likes breaks? Lol. I guess I'm kinda a sissy when it comes to recoil but with hard kickers (300 rum, 338 rum) I really like a break. Some are miserably loud I will admit that but I think some of the noise is from break design. I have 2 rifles with Vais breaks and I'm not gonna say that they are quite but they are nothing compared to some others I have been around.

For me at least it's hard to go out and shoot 20 rounds through the rum without one. I also like being able to shoot in really awkward positions without getting scope cut. The only time I have ever seen really bad dirt or dust kick up is shooting prone in really loose dirt like a plowed field. I just carry ear plugs in my pocket when hunting but I have taken a few shots unplugged and can still kinda hear.

I had a model 7 in 300 wsm that was lightened up a bit and kicked like a mule but I had a thread protector made so I shot with the break at the range and just took it off when hunting (it was a miserable loud break) That's another option. I do understand why a lot of people hate them I think everyone has had a bad run in with a breaked rifle!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I hope I didn't make it sound like I wouldn't get a nice trigger. Just pointing out that it doesn't affect the rifle. Just the shooter. Triggers are the first bit of work I do to a rifle.

I LOVE muzzle brakes... ;) A couple things about breaks, DON'T ever buy one with ports around the entire circumference. It's really frustrating having every shot blow up dirt and debris into the objective of that $2K scope. Get one that has the ports on the side and have a smith time it properly. Or you can buy some shims and do it yourself but it looks tacky to me. Brakes are great for practicing long range solo. If shooting from awkward positions your natural point of aim is going to be off and spotting your hits at distance is almost impossible. If you don't like the way your gun kicks now, you can do a few things. Hunting stocks are notorious for transferring that recoil unevenly into your shoulder, so you can pick up a different stock. Or you can throw a muzzle brake on it.

Every brake is different and you get a lot of "I shoot this brake so it's the BEST" opinions on the internet... You can always have a "cap" made for your barrel and go without the brake for hunting. Not like you're thinking about the recoil when shooting an animal... Your accuracy will be the same, but be sure and doublecheck your zero with the brake on and off at the range as some brakes will change your POI (point of impact).

If I were you, get a quality trigger that is sub 3 lbs, and throw a brake on it or grab a different stock and call it good... but thats just my opinion and we all know what those are like! :)

Mike

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I guess I'm the only one who likes breaks? Lol. I guess I'm kinda a sissy when it comes to recoil but with hard kickers (300 rum, 338 rum) I really like a break. Some are miserably loud I will admit that but I think some of the noise is from break design. I have 2 rifles with Vais breaks and I'm not gonna say that they are quite but they are nothing compared to some others I have been around.

For me at least it's hard to go out and shoot 20 rounds through the rum without one. I also like being able to shoot in really awkward positions without getting scope cut. The only time I have ever seen really bad dirt or dust kick up is shooting prone in really loose dirt like a plowed field. I just carry ear plugs in my pocket when hunting but I have taken a few shots unplugged and can still kinda hear.

I had a model 7 in 300 wsm that was lightened up a bit and kicked like a mule but I had a thread protector made so I shot with the break at the range and just took it off when hunting (it was a miserable loud break) That's another option. I do understand why a lot of people hate them I think everyone has had a bad run in with a breaked rifle!

I have zero problems with breaks. Four of my rifles have them. I also carry hearing protection in the woods. With longer shots I generally have time to put them in. Most of the time I hunt by myself so the noise is not an issue.

ckleeves

WKR
I have zero problems with breaks. Four of my rifles have them. I also carry hearing protection in the woods. With longer shots I generally have time to put them in. Most of the time I hunt by myself so the noise is not an issue.

Agreed. And if you have someone spotting with a scope on a tripod they should be able to plug their ears just fine.

dotman

WKR
The rifle shoots fine. But it does have some recoil. I figured if I reduced the recoil a bit it would make it more accurate/easier to hold over long distances. Maybe all I need is a heavier stock? I don't mind carrying the extra weight on my pack if it would reduce the recoil a bit. I'm not big on the synthetic one I have anyway.

Since recoil is your main issue I suggest trading it in on a 7mm .

OP
J
Lots of great suggestions. I have never shot past 500 yards. I was just thinking that by reducing recoil it would make me more accurate over long shots and I could start shooting confidently towards the 800 range. It doesn't hurt me or anything, but I know I shoot my 7mm-08 more accurate than my .300 Mag. I may just me over thinking this whole deal, but people have all these options for customizing your gun. I felt like people did it to get more comfortable with their rifle which would make you a better shooter. I guess I am trying to find a way to get better with my rifle.

Shrek

WKR
One of the new manners light weight stocks. T2 style but haven't studied the new model numbers. Rifle basix makes a good trigger.
Manners is making a hybrid hunting / tactical stock that would fit the bill.

Another vote for the new Manner's Elite Hunter Stocks... however be prepared, MSRP on them is $569 and they take 14-16 weeks. I really like the EH1 and EH3 models. I have a few of the EH1's on order right now...

Triggers for a hunting gun I like Timney. Jewel makes an awesome trigger but they can be a bit finicky with dirt/dust/grime...

Mike

dotman

WKR
I had zero idea about manners till recently (been out of rifles for 12 years) and just found out they are based out of the KC area. Might have to see if I can get a tour.

Mike , is EH 3 the one with the slight drop to make it better for offhand shooting while maintaining prone form ?

Sorry meant EH1&2. I like them both as they have a higher comb to allow for a more consistent cheek weld and allows for you to have no problems running a larger objective scope without having an adjustable cheek piece.

I haven't messed with either yet so can't comment first hand on how they shoot or feel offhand. I know that I usually have an easier time holding steady with a larger and longer palmswell like the EH1 has...

Mike

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Just to throw my two cents about the muzzle brake part. I can understand wanting to have one installed for shooting off the bench just so it's more comfortable. I would then take it off and have a thread protector for when hunting because as I'm sure everyone knows, you don't feel recoil while hunting. My first time shooting a 300 Weatherby was when shooting a deer and I didn't feel anything, but off the bench it was a whole different story. Just my thought though.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Plenty of good info and opinions on this thread.

I have gone the brake route a number of times, don't think I will again (unless I go for a 338LM or something)

I guess I am trying to find a way to get better with my rifle.

Practice, practice, practice.

Videoing yourself while shooting, as recommended earlier, is a great great tool. Practice the fundamentals. Tricking out your gun will not make you a better shooter.

Mckinnon

WKR
I have to agree 100% with BB. As stated before practice, then do it some more, and then again more. And continue until you know that when you settle those crosshairs whatever is in front of them is going down. Whether it be a milk jug at 350 yds or a nice buck that finally stood up. Please don't mistake me for advocating going out and shooting 60 rounds at a time. I would start slow and then build, in order to get more comfortable with your set up. IMO, confidence is king, no matter what weapon your using. Also, make sure you end your sessions with a good shot.

Whisky

WKR
What triggers would you suggest? Stocks?

This is very dependent on how much you want to spend on this particular rifle. It can be very easy to spend ,on a stock and trigger, what the entire rifle cost you from the store. No matter what route you go, always factor in $200 for a bed job if you buy a new stock.