Would like to turn fleece bibs to pants

A few years ago I had a pair of these zip off fleece bibs I would use under breathable waders in the winter while steelhead fishing. They're cheap, they're warm and they're easy on/off when needed.

I ended up buying a few more pairs just to have. But what I'd like to do with them in turn a pair into pants. The suspenders get in the way and add complications to getting them on easily with you're stripped down and it's single digits.

I don't sew by any means, unless it is to make small repairs. But I have access to a sewing machine and don't mind ruining a pair of these as they were stupid cheap.

Any ideas on how to go about this easily? I was thinking to cut the top to regular waist height, fold the edge over with an elastic band inside. Then the band becomes what holds them up. I just don't know how to terminate the zippers if I were to cut through them. If it's too much effort, then no big deal, I'll just keep the suspenders.20220127_062206_copy_600x800.jpg20220127_062226_copy_600x800.jpg

WoodBow

WKR
Should be fairly straightforward. Cut to desired length, making sure to leave enough fabric to fold over. Might consider folding it down and then down again. Done the right way, this will make a channel for elastic. Kill 2 birds with one stone that way. If you go elastic, insert it into channel (preferably before sewing the channel if you can avoid sewing through the elastic), sew one end of it in place at the zipper, put pants on and stretch the elastic out the other side to desired tension, pin or clamp that end in place so you can take pants off and sew elastic on that end.

You can terminate the zippers using zipper stops that you can buy and crimp on. Or you can just make a few loops of thread around each side of the zipper where you want it to stop. You might need to add some velcro tabs at the tops of the zippers to keep them from wanting to open. Like they do on zip off base layers.

Unless you're remote or extremely frugal, I'd just take these to a tailor and explain what you want. I bet they can do it for $20/pair, maybe less.

OP
A
Thanks for the suggestions. I really think these will be good for once I get on stand after a long walk in the cold.

BDRam16

WKR
I would remove the suspenders and leave the pants as is. If you are wearing them under waders, the extra tall height will aid in warmth. If you want regular length pants, I would just save my self the hours of hassle and buy some cheap fleece base layer pants from Walmart.

As far as how to keep them up then, I would sew a strap with a velcro tab on the back side of each leg length zipper that will go over the zipper and attach to a velcro tab of your desired length on the front of the pants basically acting like a cinch cord while still maintaining the benefit of full length side zips. You could do this with about $5 in material and hand sewing. If this is confusing I can post a picture tomorrow when I get home from a pair of pants I have that have a similar set up.