Would welcome advice on a new Hunting Daypack

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve settled on the Kifaru Fulcrum. Have carried the Zulu, Shape Charge, Eastern Ruck (still have one - great stand hunting pack) a variety of Osprey, Mountainsmith, Gregory and Mystery Ranch Packs and just havent found anything that works for me better than the Fulcrum. It’s a bit ’strappy’ but compresses down to just perfect. Less than a minutes work and plenty of room for a muley front quarter, backstraps and skull/cape load one, two rear quarters load 2 and last front and gear load three.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your shoes a couple years back now. Had several lesser packs and always just thought the pain associated was just part of the game haha! Well I finally bit the bullet and went for it with Kifaru after checking out my buddies pack setup. I was blown away at how a heavy load could still be somewhat comfortable with the right set up.

I picked up the hunter frame and a 44mag from a couple other members here and added a sherman pocket, claymore and large pocket above that. I can get 5-7 days easily out of it but still run it in day mode with it be too bulky. I could probably even add a couple more days if I add the guid lid. Bottom line is dont be afraid to pick up one from here and try it out this winter. Exo, SG, Kifaru hold their value well. You can almost always get back what you paid for it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want some pics of my setup!

Wapiti151

WKR
All personal preference here, and see a bunch of recommendations for the big three. Have had limited experience with Kifaru, and a good buddy loves his exo. All good packs, Ford vs Chevy type of argument. Below is my opinion after this year.

I went through this last year and went with the SG 5900. For your uses, I couldn’t recommend it more paired with the xcurve frame. I packed out my mule deer, a buddies mule deer and a cow elk this year...All three instances resulted in 80-100 lbs on my back (I was the only one with a pack able to carry the majority of weight). I can honestly say, that with all the weight...it hardly carried differently than when I packed in using it as a day pack.

This pack comes with a lid that adds some good usable space, but is removable in bivvy. I used this pack for a 3 day back country hunt with camp and everything on my back, then used it as a day pack the rest of the time. This thing sucks down to NOTHING when you want it too.

I will never need another pack. Spent hundreds over the last few years only to be disappointed...this is a do all pack. And, any SG pack for the most part can be used with their frames, so if I want the 7900 later or the solo, I only have to buy the bag.

I will say, all the straps and everything on this pack intimidated me at first, but the thought and purpose put into all of SG gear is amazing...not to mention their customer service. I am a SG customer for life now, and will be slowly transitioning most of my gear that makes sense to SG; from all my apparel to sleep system and bino harness. Used a pair of their pants this year too, they are bomb proof.

Go SG...you’ll never go back. (If their pack fits you right). Buy once cry once...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk