Would you be interested in a custom mountain long range rifle?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a carbon barreled gun and I love it. I shoot all year long, from 800 to 1500 yards. I think I shot almost 700 rounds down range this summer. Mike's rifles will not be for everyone. But for those like me that want a lite gun that can shoot way out there. It will fit the bill perfectly!

OP
HellsCanyon
Here is one option that we will be playing with... first build off this reamer will be a heavy 24" fluted Rock Creek barrel with a slightly trued Rem 700 action PTG bolt and factory tuned trigger. :)

This may turn out to be our big go-to 30 cal hunting caliber...

Mike
ujurane7.jpg

strictlyRUM

Lil-Rokslider
Mike, having built a number of sub eight pound "long range" rifles for guys, you are entering muddy waters. You can give them proof targets, loaded ammo, even take some of them out shooting. Most will be fine with accepting it takes a lot of practice to shoot one well. It takes a person that understands the mechanics of shooting to shoot it well enough for long shots. A lot of them will get frustrated and sell their rifles. It's the few that cannot put the time or effort in to shooting them that will challenge your craftsmanship or abilities. It only takes one guy that can't shoot the weapon you have proven, to start a headache for you. I tried to talk guys out of light rifles if they are wanting to shoot past 5 or 600 yards. Some still insisted on light weights. I can't think of one of them that can shoot it as well as they can shoot. Most of them are happy as clams and consisteny lay down some critters. But like I said I've had one or two headaches in my time. Probably why I went back to machining and sold my buisness. Offering a off the shelf "lightweight long range" is leaving a lot on the table. I tried to screen guys and talk people out of them and still had to have people come out and watch me shoot it in front of them to show them its not the gun. I wish you better luck than I had. That being said...... I killed a little 4 x 4 meat buck out in you neck of the woods this year with a 6lb model 7 at 1100 yards on the nose. He didn't move at the first shot but was wishing his tail, so i figured I hit him. Jacked in another and fired for high shoulder. He rolled down the canyon at the second shot. First shot went low just behind the heart. Second hit high shoulder. Not too bad for a model seven running a 2.5-10 nightforce. The guys with me were pretty impressed.

Jason

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Mike,
I'm not seeing much weight savings with the carbon? Maybe I'm missing something? The rifle I just finished weighs exactly 9 lbs 8.9oz total. This includes everything but ammo. I used a fluted #5 contour barrel finished at 26". Are you using a bigger contour?
I haven't tested my rifle yet with more than 3 shots at a time so it will be interesting to see if my shots start "walking" when the barrel gets hot.

I do look forward to seeing your finished rifle and your results!

OP
HellsCanyon
Hey Mike,
I'm not seeing much weight savings with the carbon? Maybe I'm missing something? The rifle I just finished weighs exactly 9 lbs 8.9oz total. This includes everything but ammo. I used a fluted #5 contour barrel finished at 26". Are you using a bigger contour?
I haven't tested my rifle yet with more than 3 shots at a time so it will be interesting to see if my shots start "walking" when the barrel gets hot.

I do look forward to seeing your finished rifle and your results!

Justin,
Is that before or after optics?

The #5 contour is definitely smaller than what our barrels will finish out at. Its a great contour and a lot of guys use them for double duty if they don't want to go carbon or heavy Kampfeld fluting.

StrictlyRUM,
You make a great point and that is one thing that we'll have to take on and see how it affects us. Just got to cross that bridge when it comes...

Mike

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
That weight is with the 6.5-20x50 Leupold. I think the Tikka action saves me some weight along with the lighter contour.

Whisky

WKR
I've been waffling on my "longer range" hunting build for some time. I finally settled on a fluted heavy sporter for the barrel. All up, scoped, I'm hoping for ~8.5-9lbs. There is a compromise to be made between weight and the ability to shoot at longer ranges confidently and in varying conditions, shooter error being the biggest factor. Not too many people can shoot a sub 7.5lb scoped rifle as good as a 14lb rig. But 14lbs obviously is a bit much when trekking through the hills. If you're not experienced enough, or care enough to take longer range shots, you don't need a 9lb rifle. Stick with the featherweights and be happy... But if you do have the experience, and you do want the ability to take them longer shots confidently, you will understand that the little extra "meat" makes a bit of difference, and be happier than heck to be carrying a 9lb rig instead of a 10lb rig. Comfort and ergos is another thing. If the 33oz stock is more comfortable to me than the 24oz stock, at least in a longer range rifle, I'll go with comfort over reduced weight every time.

I suspect Hells Canyon is targeting a specific group of customers, who will know and understand this.

OP
HellsCanyon
Justin,
Thats a pretty good weight especially with that stock you have on there! Manners is coming out with some new stocks at SHOT this year and they should be a good fit for what we are wanting. Going off of a custom action like we are we'll definitely have a few more ounces added in that department.

Whisky,
There is definitely a specific niche for this kind of rifle. I've been packing around a 12.5 lb rifle for the last few seasons and if its not in the pack it is extremely annoying to carry on a sling or in your hand. Running competitions it is in my opinion the perfect weight. Heavy enough to steady the shooter, but not too heavy that off hand and position shooting is more difficult.

With a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP scope, we're hoping to come in under 9 lbs. When you consider that our barrels contour in a classic non-fluted typically weight in around 5-6 lbs, and ours are coming in under 3 with the same rigidy and inherent accuracy, for less that other carbon barreled guns of the same quality, you're targeting a specific market. I think sub 9 lb rifles with optics are getting to the point where the shooter is playing more and more of a roll in long range hits. As far as physics go, there is no reason a 7 lb rifle shouldn't be able to make the same shot as a heavier gun. But is it giving up ergonomics and thus appropriate natural point of aim and trigger pulls to that heavier rifle?

Mike

Whisky

WKR
I am very interested in what you know on the Manners stocks? I just picked up an SL for my hunting rifle. Are they coming out with any new sporter/hunting rifle designs that you're aware of???

OP
HellsCanyon
I am very interested in what you know on the Manners stocks? I just picked up an SL for my hunting rifle. Are they coming out with any new sporter/hunting rifle designs that you're aware of???

I don't know much just that there may be some new stocks coming out this year. We'll see what they unveil at SHOT.

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
This isn't one of the new lightweight manners stocks, but its a manners no less. ;)
300 RUM will be dropped into this one.
ve2y4apu.jpg

Got my own stock dipped while I was at it. ;)

eny7aje7.jpg

Mike