Would you bother reloading?

Vandy321

WKR
My buddy just sent me a pic of the first group through his 28 Nosler build after barrel break-in.

I realize I discarded the cold bore shot (right) in my measurement. But this has to be as impressive as it gets with factory ammo.

He was asking if he should bother reloading...I vote no. Anybody else seen factory ammo shoot like this? Hell, I'm luck to get .5 on my best day with my reloads and 300wm.

This was hunting ammo, 28 Nosler Precision Hunter 162gr.

Figured I'd share, just to share. Of note, he did not see those same results with that ammo in his 6.5

Time will tell of those results are repeatable, but initial thoughts are I wouldn't waste my time working up a load. Ya'll?

Screenshot_20200115-103203_Range Buddy.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
Just depends, to me reloading is half the fun of owning a gun. Now I would stock up on some of that factory ammo to have around but why not play? I like to shoot year round and not just around hunting season though. I’m also not afraid to shoot out a barrel.

Also I don’t see what the ES and SD are of the factory ammo, that is a key bit of info.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on how much you shoot and what budget you have for factory ammo. If I was going to rely on factory ammo I'd want a large amount of it from the same lot so results were repeatable for a long while, for some cartridges that's not cheap but if one doesn't like reloading time is also money so...

If he chrono's that load and runs a velocity ladder with a suitable powder and the same bullet to find a similar powder charge vs velocity he might get similar results in that velocity node.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Absolutely not. I will echo a bit of what was stated above is I would try to get a hold of more ammo from that lot...but any reputable manufacturer you should not notice a significant difference from lot to lot (significant may depend on distances shooting obviously).

I like shooting my guns not sitting in my basement pulling handles.

skierhs

WKR
I wouldn’t and don’t reload. I buy in bulk(338LM for example) and then sell the brass for about $2 a piece of brass(lapua brand) it cuts down on the overall cost drastically and the accuracy I get is second to none.

tdhanses

WKR
Absolutely not. I will echo a bit of what was stated above is I would try to get a hold of more ammo from that lot...but any reputable manufacturer you should not notice a significant difference from lot to lot (significant may depend on distances shooting obviously).

I like shooting my guns not sitting in my basement pulling handles.

Do you shoot a lot in the dark of night?

CJF

WKR
If you're hunting hummingbirds at distances over 100 yards, you need to tighten that group up!

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR

For me anyways, nights are better spend enjoying my family, not prepping brass. I still reload, but I think its a pain in the ass...wouldnt have started if my rifle shot factory and well as the pic above.

tdhanses

WKR
For me anyways, nights are better spend enjoying my family, not prepping brass. I still reload, but I think its a pain in the ass...wouldnt have started if my rifle shot factory and well as the pic above.

After the family is asleep it’s my relaxation time, lol. I guess I enjoy it more then others.

FLS

WKR
I would not if it’s repeatable. Buy a case of the same lot and call it good.

terp91

FNG
He can try to get a box of the same ammo from a different lot. If it shoots just as well I wouldn't worry about reloading. If the other lot shoots measurably worse either buy up as much of this lot as he can or mimic it by reloading.

Agustas

FNG
How willing are ammo manufacturers to share factory load data ? It could then be duplicated. ??

mt100gr.

WKR
After the family is asleep it’s my relaxation time, lol. I guess I enjoy it more then others.
^^ this! I actually enjoy the process and attention to detail. Especially when I see the results of something done in a way that money can't get me. I usually catch up on reloading chores in the early AM hours when my herd is asleep.

To the OP - if the numbers on that factory load are acceptable to the shooter and that precision is repeatable and there is a pile of same-lot ammo available, I'd be accumulating brass for a few years.

Depending how much the guy shoots, factory ammo might be the way to go. Personally, I'd want to buy at least 300 rounds though and I think that money would go a lot farther buying components vs feeding a 28N....then the time commitment issue....

I would buy as many boxes from the same lot number as I could. I have seen significant changes from lot to lot on factory ammo. I would then start working on a load to duplicate with the brass I generate from the factory Ammo. Pull a round and between the measured weight of the powder and observation you can probably get a very good idea which powder or powders to start with and primer. Measure base to ogive now, bullet base to ogive once pulled.

WCB

WKR

No, but the only time of the year it gets dark early enough to spend the time needed is fall and winter and I am hunting most nights until well after dark. Also, only being home maybe a dozen weekends out of the entire year leaves little time to get everyday stuff done. Now add in fishing, family time, general life...my time is better spent on other stuff.

Keep in mind this is relative to the OPs post. If my gun shot a factory load that well and I could confirm a second lot or purchase a bunch of that lot...as the question was stated. No way am I wasting my time reloading.

MThuntr

WKR
Yup I'd still load. Who's to say the next lot of ammo is going to shoot even remotely that well.

TruckMonkey

Lil-Rokslider
I have had issues with ammo availability and with variations from lot to lot of ammo so I still reload even after getting groups like that with factory ammo. Factory ammo can be extremely accurate but I reload for the reasons I just stated, not to get more accuracy than I can get with one factory ammo box

mmac

WKR
It depends on the bullet to me. If I had a 28 I would prefer something like a 175 ABLR, so for me I would want to find something with that. If he likes that bullet, then I would stock up ....