Would you eat this? (Infected deer due to old injury)

DAD

FNG
Definitely wouldn't eat it. I have been in the same boat and I called the DNR and sent them pictures. They ended up allowing me to not tag the animal. May be worth a phone call to see if you could keep your tag.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Wow, can't believe this is still going.

As far as my tag being wasted...it wasn't. At the very least, she was an earn a buck doe and now I can hunt for a 3rd buck in my county. Definitely not the sole reason I shot her as I wanted the meat for a friend but it worked out. We are given 6 deer tags in my part of Virginia so I can spare one.

I would have a hard time eating that one. You absolutely did her a favor. Quick vs. slow miserable death.

I think the fact she let you get 10 feet away w/o being spooked and urinating/defecating on herself strongly implies she was in very poor health at the time of her death. She may or may not have been septic.

Gobbler36

WKR
Man, we got some softies in the forum!

Your nose will tell you if the meat is bad or not. Toss what smells bad, eat the rest. It's a shame you wasted all that good meat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This is my thoughts as well, if meat is bad there is going to be an unmistakable smell, if you don’t get that smell it’s going to be fine to eat. However I don’t fault you, nothing in nature truly goes to waste but I would’ve eaten the good bits