Would you rather...

I have Meopta 10x42 on a good tripod. I can reliably glass out to 1.5 - 2 miles with that setup, depending on deer vs elk. I can also generally tell if a buck or bull is worth a closer look at that range. 10x42 are best, in my opinion, from about 1/2 mile to 1 mile of a tripod. Not much need for a spotter unless super far distance or big time trophy hunting.
Or mostly obscured by vegetation.

S.Clancy

WKR
Or mostly obscured by vegetation.
I'd still rather use binos. I haven't used a spotter on the couple hunts I've had in AZ and no big loss. I did have some 18s, but ended up using the 10s pretty much exclusively. Everyone has different preferences tho

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Get the best binos you can afford. Then worry about spotter later. If your not picky on your first couple western hunts you’ll be able to tell if a decent buck or not through some quality glass.

Firehawk

WKR
I am with most here. Get a good quality 8 or 10x (I like 8x and also my 9x Maven B2) as at 10x I see my shakiness quite easily when handholding. But, many people don't have that problem. I have never been in a situation where I couldn't see an animal that my buddies could in their 10x or 11x binos. Not a single time ever.
Whatever you choose, get a good tripod to use and like others have stated, you can glass a lot of country very thoroughly. But that only works if the binos don't cause you headaches. Thus the reason to choose the "best" bino you can for your budget.

For me in that budget, I would look at Maven B1 or B2, Leica Trinovids, Doug's Kowa Genisis (check on ability to use a tripod though), Tract Touric, Meopta Meostar and Nikon Monarch HG, Sig Zulu 7 or 9 and probably a bunch of others in an 8x-10x. In doing so, you will have a bino that is optically very good. Differences at that point will mostly come down to ergonomics, eye relief, color rendition preferences, weight etc.

Have fun out West. It is really amazing to live here and continue to discover new places and things each year.

You can’t get a “decent” spotter with that $1000 alone. Save another $1000 and get a set of Maven B2 11x45’s and a used Vortex razor Spotter and you’ll be set. Or buy the b2’s this year and a spotter next year. Buying cheap optics just to have a new pair is a waste of money.

Blue72

WKR
Binoculars on a monopod or tripod. I use 7x because it’s stable during wind, if I touch the tripod, my heart rate is up, or handholding for long periods…….7x never fatigues me

I live by the coast and I glass almost weekly. Every once in awhile I will use my spotting scope, but it only reminds me I prefer binoculars