Would you replace an old scope that still works?

Hey guys, I'd appreciate it if you all could help me with something I've been debating for a few months. Here's the particulars:

I have a Savage 111 30-06 that I bought at a pawnshop back in 2004 (my first rifle). It was a "used" rifle with a Tasco Silver Antler 2.5-10x40 (Duplex) mounted on it with really sturdy two-piece bases. I carried it through swampy forests in Louisiana, 5 years of backpack mountain hunting in Washington state, and 3 years in the Appalachians. I've dropped this combo twice on rocky hillsides, banged it a hundred times, shot about 400 or so rounds, and hunted from 105 degrees down to 10. Using Kentucky windage and my backpack as a rest, I've kept every shot group well under 8" out to 300 yds. Throughout all this abuse, the scope has never lost its zero!

Since I moved to the Midwest (no rifle hunting) a few years ago, the Savage has been sitting in the safe. I pulled it out a few months ago for cleaning and fell in love with her all over again. She's compact, lightweight, and familiar. Over the years I've acquired other guns and bought higher priced scopes for them (Monarch, Vipers, Razor). But side by side, when glassing critters under 200-300 yds, the cheap Tasco doesn't give much up to the Monarch 3 and Viper HS. Its not as clear as the Viper but equally bright.

Honestly though, I have some issues with my eyes so I might not be a good judge of glass quality. But I can definitely vouch for the build quality; this cheap, old scope is strangely tough. Same with the mount.

So here's my question: Based on the information I've provided, would you replace that old Tasco? I've had no issues with it so far but also recognize that I may have just gotten lucky. I intend to move within 3-5 years, to somewhere I can hunt elk and bear with a rifle, so this Savage will be in use again as my "Under 325 yds" gun.

As possible replacements, I have on hand a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10, Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3-9, and Vortex Razor LH 1.5-8. I've also considered purchasing a Leupold vx Freedom or VX-3i. If you think I should replace the Tasco, which of these scopes would you choose?

This may seem like a no-brainer or silly question to some of you but I'll be honest, I'm kinda sentimental about the scope/rifle combo. My 1st elk, 1st 3 deer, and 1st coyote were all taken with her. So be gentle with me hahaha!

Thanks for any input, guys!

Honyock

WKR
I wouldn't. I think it's easy to get caught up in what's the "best" as opposed to what works for you and meets your needs. If you are happy with what you have why change? Deer, elk, bear, etc don't care what scope was on the gun that killed them.

OP
JustSomeGuy35
You lost me at 8" at 300 yards. Don't buy another scope. Buy more ammo and shoot.
Let me clarify: I never wrote that I shoot 8" groups with the combo. I wrote that every shot I have taken was well inside of 8" (which is the killzone on deer/elk). Its not a target setup. It's a hunting rig for short to medium distances. When I shoot it, I'm shooting at paper plates, from actual field positions, and I'm not measuring groups. I fire 10-20 shots and call it good if they all land in the plate. That happens once or twice a year, rain or shine. If I had to guess, I'd say it groups about 1.5 moa using Winchester PP.
I shoot for groups with some of my other rifles. They have bipods and I run premium ammo thru them. Thus, they produce tight groups

Last edited:
OP
JustSomeGuy35
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I'm relieved by your answers but mildly surprised too, I fully expected at least some to say I should upgrade. I will run the tasco till it breaks. Luckily, if it happens on a hunt, I still have iron sights to fall back on.
FWIW, as I mentioned above, this isn't my precision or long distance rig. When hunting an area that I know my shots will average 200-450 yds, then I use my 7mm w/ Viper HS-LR or 308 w/ SWFA 10x. Both setups are 1 moa or better but more cumbersome to haul around. I usually backpack miles in to places, so it's nice to have a rig that is sleek, light and won't make me cry if it gets beat up. The Savage/Tasco rig fits the bill for areas that are tough getting into but don't require shots over 300 yds.
Thanks again!

OP
JustSomeGuy35
No, especially not with the alternatives you listed.
Hey Ralphie, thanks for your reply! I'm curious as to which scopes you'd recommend on a lightweight hunting rig? I have a Rem 700 wearing a Monarch 3 but I don't like the glass. Had to buy an ARD for it because if the sun is anywhere in the sky, the lens flare is horrible. ARD cures it but pissed me off that I had to buy it. What would you recommend?

8" at 300 yards seems fantastic to me! Especially if it stacks up to a Viper fairly well. If you have an itch to buy a scope, I'm sure you could find something worthy, but it doesn't sound like to need to change anything to continue being successful with yours.

2muchhp

WKR
I have been upgrade my old scopes for a while. Now that you pose the question and I think about it, the first scopes upgraded are now old scopes, hmm maybe I should have just left them alone.