Would you shoot this arrow?

lerman

FNG
Let a friend borrow some arrows at the range :rolleyes:

They put one in the target frame, when I pulled it I tried to be as careful and coaxing as possible but the insert still pulled out. Went to refletch today and noticed the insert end is slightly chipped with an extremely small hairline crack right below the chip. Unclear whether it runs the whole way through the wall of the shaft.

Should I discard this shaft?
20210802_181248000_iOS.jpg20210802_181226000_iOS.jpg

bsnedeker

WKR
Nope, it's trash. Not worth the risk.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
If that were the nock end I would not shoot it. Since it is the insert end I would throw some superglue on there when I put a new insert in and sling it, or cut it back past the crack and put a grouse blunt on.

Trial153

WKR
If you room out in front of your rest, cut 1/4 inch off it then put a new insert in a use it..

PSplay

FNG
Second photo: doesn't look like the scratch goes all the way through. Notice I wrote scratch instead of crack. Any chance you can get a feeler inside to see if it goes all the way through?

As others have noted, it is cheaper to replace than to risk a failure and getting hurt.

OP
L

lerman

FNG
Second photo: doesn't look like the scratch goes all the way through. Notice I wrote scratch instead of crack. Any chance you can get a feeler inside to see if it goes all the way through?

As others have noted, it is cheaper to replace than to risk a failure and getting hurt.
My thoughts are the same but Ive also broken many arrows over the years pulling them out of stubborn materials and dislodging the insert, as I'm sure all of you have. They all crack in that same way. I'll throw it on the squaring device to clean up the end and see if I cant get a better look at it.

I’m firmly in the trash it camp.

Look at it this way, yes I could be saving $20-30 by keeping it. Maybe it’ll shoot fine for awhile… but, if I’m wrong, is the cost of an ER visit, corrective surgery, and the potential lifelong disability worth me saving $30 bucks?

For me, the answer is no.

ElkNut1

WKR
Agreed, trash it! I just threw one away that looked exactly like yours! Painful at the prices of good arrows these days! (grin) Not worth the risk sir!

ElkNut

I'd push a point into it a little ways to see if it spreads, if it doesn't go further than halfway down the insert I'd shoot it. The front of the shaft doesn't take the energy at the shot that the back does.

But it's not worth the risk really. Since you are asking I'd trash it.

If you room out in front of your rest, cut 1/4 inch off it then put a new insert in a use it..
This. It’ll fly the same as your others. I wouldn’t hunt with it but definitely still useable if you refurb it. I do it often when I mushroom the tip…

Jbxl20

WKR
I used an arrow like that at TAC. I Put a broad head adapter ring on it and used it for the sketchy targets on the nock on course. I still have it somewhere. This post reminds me I should look for it and probably trash it. But i inspected it after every shot and the crack never moved past the insert. My thought with the BAR is that since it slides over the end a little bit it would help keep it from splintering.

OP
L

lerman

FNG
I'd push a point into it a little ways to see if it spreads, if it doesn't go further than halfway down the insert I'd shoot it. The front of the shaft doesn't take the energy at the shot that the back does.

But it's not worth the risk really. Since you are asking I'd trash it.
tried this and it expanded, crack runs whole way through the sidewall. Retiring this one.

Thanks for all the advise fellas