Would you spend $50 or $300+

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
I will be in the mountains in late October, traveling forest roads. I'm sure the weather could get weird. My self recovery kit will include a hi lift jack and some accessories for that system, tire chains, a recovery strap (30'), d ring shackles, a tree strap and a come along. I will also have a chainsaw, axe, hammers, tools and some other odds and ends in addition to a four wheeler in the bed of my pickup and a Garmin w/ text capability. Also will be w/ a partner. Pretty set.

I will not be taking major risks if the roads are bad - if the weather turns and I'm in a rough area I will head to a paved/graveled area or somewhere I'm fairly certain I won't be snowed in (or rained in). Not to say I won't find myself in a precarious situation, however.

Big question here as I've almost made A-List on Southwest because of all things "this website made me buy":

For the <25% chance I'll need it, is a Wyeth Scott Power Puller (or comparable high end brand), worth the extra $250+ over say a Tekton/Maasdam/Neiko/other chinese model?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Careful with the four wheeler in your bed on rough roads, back windows are not cheap anymore.

I have a wyeth scott come along and it is very well made and heavy duty. I would rather have a harbor freight than nothing, for very occasional use, but the heavier w-s is a good unit.
Miyagi said (Karate Kid), "best defense is no be there." I try not to get stuck, and watch where I am putting the tires. This is far easier on my 4-door Wrangler than my crew-cab Ram, of course.

wildcat33

WKR
If you chain up BEFORE it gets super muddy or snowy you should be in good shape. I've always carried a shovel and chains. Think I might add a traction board to the mix though.

You probably know this, but a lot of trucks these days wont accept chains on the front (ie. tacoma, f150, ...)

OP
A

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth I bought the wyeth scott. Hopefully it just sits in the truck for the rest of its life but I have better piece of mind with quality equipment. I'm sure a harbor freight model would be just fine though