Would you switch brands because of this? Need help

Finch

WKR
I have a 6 year old pair of Lowa Tibet GTX's in 12W. I honestly can't complain about the fit or comfort of these boots. They have treated me well over the years. I've been on 4 elk hunts with them and they are my sole boot for deer and turkey hunting here in Virginia. The footbed I guess you call it is separating and the soles are starting to come apart. I used some Gear Aid freesole to mend them back. The rands also started to peel, crack, and separate but I have temporarily fixed that as well. That happened a couple years ago. One complaint is that they are a bit heavy after a long day but my feet have also been protected on some nasty rocky terrain. I feel like I've been above average on treating the leather - multiple times a year at least.

I'm trying to determine if I should buy a replacement pair or try something else. Really hoping to make a decision before Black Friday sales start. I'm looking at Crispi Briksdal GTX but they don't appear to be offered in 12 wide. Part of me is thinking about whether the grass is greener with another boot but ultimately these have served me well. I don't mind the stiffness and I know these have saved me from numerous ankle rolls.

Attachments

• 20201119_093536.jpg
    20201119_093536.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20201119_093523.jpg
    20201119_093523.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 77

jolemons

WKR
6 years is a long time to expect boots to last. I feel like it's a Ford and a Chevy debate amongst the major boot brands. I keep coming back to Lowa because they fit the best for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

These look like they have had a LOT of miles put on them. Time shouldn't matter on a boot, miles do. Also that leather looks extremely dry and in bad need of treatment. I can't comment on if you should switch brands, only you now how the boots were treated and how many miles they endured before they looked like this.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
6 years is a long time to expect boots to last. I feel like it's a Ford and a Chevy debate amongst the major boot brands. I keep coming back to Lowa because they fit the best for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I think you're right. I'd hate to have to buy a bunch to figure out the fit when I know these fit just right.

These look like they have had a LOT of miles put on them. Time shouldn't matter on a boot, miles do. Also that leather looks extremely dry and in bad need of treatment. I can't comment on if you should switch brands, only you now how the boots were treated and how many miles they endured before they looked like this.

I know the leather looks dry but it's been my experience that a couple good days in dusty terrain will cause them to look untreated. I've been using nikwax but thinking about using the Crispi cream on my next pair. I reread my post and it seems I'm definitely partial to Lowa. Just never had anything else and you always wonder how other brands are. Thanks

RyanC

WKR
I have worn the Lowa Tibets since 2007 going through a few pairs of them. Recently I was in the same situation, looking for another pair of boots. I settled on the Crispi Valdres gtx in 12 wide and am very happy. They offer more room in the toe box than the Lowas and are every bit as comfortable. They are a little less stiff, which is what I was looking for.
In your original post you mention Crispi Briksdal.....I've owned a pair of those as well. Great boot, stiff, and durable. If you go with the Briksdal I recommend going a 1/2 size up though.

Best of luck.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I have worn the Lowa Tibets since 2007 going through a few pairs of them. Recently I was in the same situation, looking for another pair of boots. I settled on the Crispi Valdres gtx in 12 wide and am very happy. They offer more room in the toe box than the Lowas and are every bit as comfortable. They are a little less stiff, which is what I was looking for.
In your original post you mention Crispi Briksdal.....I've owned a pair of those as well. Great boot, stiff, and durable. If you go with the Briksdal I recommend going a 1/2 size up though.

Best of luck.
Appreciate the response! I don't think the briksdal are offered in wide sizes though. That's the only thing that turns me off.

TX_Diver

WKR
My understanding is that the Briksdal fit is very different than the Tibets. It's one of the few Crispi's I haven't tried on though so I can't confirm 100%. They were described as narrower than some other Crispi's I tried (valdres) that were ultimately too Narrow for me. I have a pair of tibets that I've just started wearing for comparison.

The sole is dry rotted. That is just a common thing after about 5 years or so. It happens to all boots, depending on the conditions and use.

The last I checked Tibet’s are recraftable. The uppers don’t look bad, most times you get them recrafted(from what I’ve read) they also replace the rand as well. Might be worth looking into.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
The last I checked Tibet’s are recraftable. The uppers don’t look bad, most times you get them recrafted(from what I’ve read) they also replace the rand as well. Might be worth looking into.

Just looked that up. Costs $125. I'll have to think about this as I can probably find a new pair for $250-270ish on a good sale. I emailed the pics to a Lowa customer rep I've contacted before. Appreciate the info!

I've resoled boots and sandals (chacos) before and the results are always worth it. They're not going to be new, but they're pre-broken in, you know they fit and it's pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. Usually once they've been resoled I start looking for the next pair but since you've got functional and known quantity boots you can afford to take your time and watch for deals. Reducing the pressure to solve the problem usually makes for better solutions.

K-22

FNG
I have a 6 year old pair of Lowa Tibet GTX's in 12W. I honestly can't complain about the fit or comfort of these boots. They have treated me well over the years. I've been on 4 elk hunts with them and they are my sole boot for deer and turkey hunting here in Virginia. The footbed I guess you call it is separating and the soles are starting to come apart. I used some Gear Aid freesole to mend them back. The rands also started to peel, crack, and separate but I have temporarily fixed that as well. That happened a couple years ago. One complaint is that they are a bit heavy after a long day but my feet have also been protected on some nasty rocky terrain. I feel like I've been above average on treating the leather - multiple times a year at least.

I'm trying to determine if I should buy a replacement pair or try something else. Really hoping to make a decision before Black Friday sales start. I'm looking at Crispi Briksdal GTX but they don't appear to be offered in 12 wide. Part of me is thinking about whether the grass is greener with another boot but ultimately these have served me well. I don't mind the stiffness and I know these have saved me from numerous ankle rolls.
Have you looked at Danner?

ShakeDown

WKR
Right now I have the Crispi Colorado, Salomon 4D 3 and a pair of Salomon Force Speed Assaults. I have had to send the Colorados back twice for warranty work, but they are a very comfortable boot. All three of those boots get rotated depending on what I’m headed into and now stiff a boot I need.

Just my 0.02 but if you find a pair of boots that work well for you stick with them.

I bought a pair of Lowa Rangers this year. I've spent 20+ days in them and packed part of two bull elk today. They're kind of a "Tibet Lite". Check them out if you want a similar but lighter boot from Lowa.