Would you take a game warden’s advice on where to hunt?

505Wapiti

WKR
A handful of times I’ve taken a warden’s advice and it panned out. I guess it depends on the warden but my experience has been good.

Squincher

WKR
I look at it this way. Successful hunters keep buying tags and tag sales help keep Wardens employed, so I would certainly give some weight to what they advise.

Jaquomo

WKR
Yes, but accepting that I am not the only hunter he has shared that info with. Last season my WY elk area was overrun with hunters. Like, worse than any CO OTC area I've ever hunted. The USFS Supervisor stopped by my camp for a chat and was really pissed because that was his little secret bowhunting valley. He said a new young female G&F biologist was telling everyone who called that they should hunt this mountain. So...

I had issues with a rancher one year, called the DOW and started down the path of documentation when I noticed the guy I was talking to was more interested in what I was seeing, locations, than the infraction. Ended that call shortly after.

I've been checked several times, and am happy to make general conversation. As they start fishing about areas, specifics, etc, they are people, they hunt, they get calls from people asking for places to hunt. Watch what you say!

If you got intel, use it. Truth is, for me, I don't even call biologists, they are a complete waste of time. The guy in the field day in, day out would be a better choice if you can get a hold of them.

wytx

WKR
Yes, but accepting that I am not the only hunter he has shared that info with. Last season my WY elk area was overrun with hunters. Like, worse than any CO OTC area I've ever hunted. The USFS Supervisor stopped by my camp for a chat and was really pissed because that was his little secret bowhunting valley. He said a new young female G&F biologist was telling everyone who called that they should hunt this mountain. So...
Fire closures probably didn't help that Jac.

Ask them how many folks they have told the same info.

wytx

WKR
I had issues with a rancher one year, called the DOW and started down the path of documentation when I noticed the guy I was talking to was more interested in what I was seeing, locations, than the infraction. Ended that call shortly after.

I've been checked several times, and am happy to make general conversation. As they start fishing about areas, specifics, etc, they are people, they hunt, they get calls from people asking for places to hunt. Watch what you say!

If you got intel, use it. Truth is, for me, I don't even call biologists, they are a complete waste of time. The guy in the field day in, day out would be a better choice if you can get a hold of them.
Humm, the biologists I know spend a lot of time in the field.

Humm, the biologists I know spend a lot of time in the field.
Maybe so, but I've found them worthless. You can get way more reliable info on the internet and message boards than you will from some government worker who is always too busy to call you back.

Gerbdog

WKR
the game wardens ive talked to in the past, like actually talked to, in person, who found me out in some place they normally dont find people, were always super helpful with where animals were, even being willing to give me a time and location they always see a bull or two. That said, i think effort is huge, as pointed out in this thread, they get phone calls every single day asking for advice, if they sent everyone to the same location... but if they see your out there busting your ass looking for animals theyre likely to drop you some good information. Dont go being an idiot after that and do something illegal! those game wardens are stealthy and they bust people being morons every single year.

KHNC

WKR
I would check out an area that was told to me, but with hesitancy. Id know in about a day.

I do know a Biologist in Wyo that absolutely ruined an area by telling everyone that asked where to go
Hopefully it wasnt the area we hunted 3 years ago. Planning to go back again next year. I heard it was though. Worried about it a little.

No. I wouldn’t even take your advice on where to hunt. My satisfaction comes from finding my own places to hunt and learning by trial and error. I’m just not into the instant gratification thru others that so many seek nowadays......I’m all about putting in the work and the effort

Took my kid on a youth hunt a several years ago that required an orientation meeting. After going through some general rules the Uniform started talking about the rules for a particular road that was about a mile long. 'you can hunt on this side, not that side. you can walk through the no-hunt area to access the road. you can park over here and walk along the road.' It was weird the amount of focus on one stupid little road. Then I "got it." We did run into three other hunting pairs along that road, but we were up close and personal with more elk in one morning than I have had in the previous ten years. Not a single cow crossed that road though.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
would definitely look at the spot he suggested. Last year a warden put a buddy of mine on his first antelope after checking him. Warden hung around and enjoyed watching his hunt. Had another warden put a buddy on a great bear location.

Several years ago I got checked just as I was getting back to the road.

I told the warden that I was headed to a new spot. He said "Really? No elk up there?" with a crooked smile...

I killed a cow the next day but I couldn't get his response out of my head. Subsequently, I filled my next two cow tags on the mountain he prodded me for leaving.

Sometimes it's not what they say.

willy

FNG
yes, but accepting that I am not the only hunter he has shared that info with. Last season my WY elk area was overrun with hunters. Like, worse than any CO OTC area I've ever hunted. The USFS Supervisor stopped by my camp for a chat and was really pissed because that was his little secret bowhunting valley. He said a new young female G&F biologist was telling everyone who called that they should hunt this mountain. So...
sounds like my experience last year:)

Took my kid on a youth hunt a several years ago that required an orientation meeting. After going through some general rules the Uniform started talking about the rules for a particular road that was about a mile long. 'you can hunt on this side, not that side. you can walk through the no-hunt area to access the road. you can park over here and walk along the road.' It was weird the amount of focus on one stupid little road. Then I "got it." We did run into three other hunting pairs along that road, but we were up close and personal with more elk in one morning than I have had in the previous ten years. Not a single cow crossed that road though.
That sounds like the road separating Unit 61 from 62

*zap*

WKR
Yes and no....depends on the warden. The local warden here thinks everyone is a criminal so I would not even talk to him if I can avoid it.

psp8ball

FNG
Probably not. But that's because the only wardens I speak with are ones checking me. And I know they are going down the road to the next campsite and tell those hunters the same thing about where to try.

I would at least check the area out. Get to an area where you can glass it really well. There are guys on this forum who would believe anything another forum user tells them with regards to general locations, so I would think a GW would have a bit more credibility than an anonymous guy on the internet.

It's a bit different if you are the one asking the GW questions, But, one thing I've learned about Texas GWs is to keep talking to them at a minimum. I have seen guys talk themselves into tickets that they would have never gotten if they just kept quiet rather than volunteer unnecessary information.