Would You Take This Shot?

I'd connect the dots and shoot for the crease, behind the black dot. That's still a double lung, that elk isn't quartering that hard. 25 yards, I can come really close to the hair I'm aiming at. I'm not scared of a frontal at all, killed several with it, but I don't think that one is facing me enough for it.

Arrow weight be damned. I'm of the opinion that you aren't building an arrow that is consistently shooting thru bone. An animal is too dynamic of a target, just their reaction to the shot and the weight they might or might not have on that bone can be a determining factor as to if it breaks or not.

So “Ashby says”, eh? HA!

How many elk has he killed exactly?
Has anyone actually seen photo evidence of anything Ashby has shot? . His EFOC theories he developed with straws and rubber bands got laughed out of existence by the Physics guys years ago.
See if you can dig up any actual proof- in 25 yrs Ive never seen it.

Ashby is the Bernie Madoff of Bowhunting. for a guy that supposedly shot hundreds and hundreds of animals (alive/dead) why has nobody ever seen a photo of an arrow in one?
Cameras probably weren't real common in the African Bush and Australian Outback in the 1980's & 90's, but here are 3 photos attributed to Ashby that I found within 5 minutes of Google searching.

Whether you agree with his advice or not, calling Ashby a con man is completely unwarranted.
bh_ashby_0909b.jpg
Screenshot_20210429-090139.png
bh_ashby_0909c.jpg

Old Indian saying " Shoot maybe... no shoot...no maybe..."

:)
... Black dot and maybe a little higher than indicated but would probably actually wait for better shot angle . Have passed on this shot angle before in the past.

Quick glance at the elk, I would have passed. Then I read and saw some advocating black dot, and see it would do the job. But for me, and I've killed a few with frontals, my initial reaction was to pass and I would have until he either got broadside, or angled towards me just a bit more.

Laramie

WKR
I have taken a couple just above the black dot. Both died inside of 80 yards. Both of my shots were under 20 yards.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I would only take a shot on the black dot assuming once he looks straight forward he will open up his broadside more. I would pass on all 3 with his current position, too much risk with non-fatal wound.

mproberts

WKR
Black dot... I took the same shot on a bull a few years back and he died within 50 yards of the shot. The picture shows the exit wound.

42298523_10103095431826913_5015871878686834688_n.jpg

Lure99

FNG
20210429_121111.jpg

At 25 yards black dot all day. I added a bit on stonewall's picture to show where the ribcage is, everything in the front of that is lungs so I'd be 100% confident in a kill shot.

Black brings one more thing to the table, he's going to run and that is going to cut the hell out of him if it didn't pass through.....and if it did....it matters not.
Yeah the shoulder/leg kicking that arrow around will turn the insides to a gelatinous goo in a hurry.