…….

Geewhiz

WKR
I would have a hard time with it only because I want to hunt how I want to hunt. After hunting DIY all my life, I wouldn't like a guide telling me where to go, how to do what, where to set up, when to shoot and on and on.

But hey, a free opportunity at a good animal. Heck yes.

The guys who say "i would rather shoot a yearling cow on national forest that a 360 on a guided private land hunt"...... Well, it may be more rewarding but I still wouldn't pass up the experience.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure it will increase your success, will be interestimg to know. I know many who went on guided hunts and came home with tag soup. I really like hunting MY WAY not other peoples way. As I get older easier does sound better.

My successful diy public elk hunts are more rewarding than my guided dall sheep hunt and I had a freakin great experience on my sheep hunt. It's just hard to beat the reward when you had to do the research, make the decisions, and execute on your own. Paying for someone else to do the work takes some of that value away.

That said, as i get older my disposable income is growing and my free time for hunts is shrinking. I will be hiring more outfitters in the future (booked for private land archery elk next year if I can draw) but also doing diy hunts. Definitely wouldn't turn down freebies but I wouldn't expect the experience to be as rewarding.

Brianb3

WKR
Once in a lifetime possibly.
Gen season hard work hunt. No.
Low odd tag draw. Likely.
High tag draw. No.
Love to do a drop camp one year. I feel like horses n packing your paying for experience n opportunity.

How I feel with or WO money

What I’ve learned is 100% my motivation to hunt hard is reduced by paying $ for tags and killing big shit easily. I’m not a big fan of paying for hunts. Access or antlers to make hunting easier is a great demotivated for working hard. That being said I don’t like hinting hard in November in 0*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why not, it might be kind of fun to be led around instead of leading around. try it, you might like it, and don't worry about the gung ho internet hunter. hunt how you want and don't worry about what hunters think.
This is coming from a guy that has killed a fair amount of elk, but never had anyone with him when i did it.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
For me it’s not so much the money issue as it is the geography issue (Well, it’s a money issue too). It’s just that we don’t have a lot of moose or elk in Florida, so in terms of DIY, I don’t even know what I don’t know WRT where to hunt, scouting, etc. I’m going on a once in a lifetime moose hunt, I want somebody that can help improve my chances for a successful hunt.

When I was just a kid I remember an old guy telling me “I can shoot moose all day long. Just line them up in front of my porch and I’ll shoot ‘em all. The problem is, you gotta find the moose. That’s why it’s called moose HUNTING, not moose SHOOTING.”

Scoot

WKR
No. But if I had the money I'd use it for better DIY opportunities (LO tag in NM).

Maverick1

WKR
If money was not a concern? Lottery winner?

I would not go Guided. As others have mentioned, too independent. Lots of satisfaction from a DIY hunt.

Take that money and buy some landowner tags, governor/commissioner tags, or private land access - that might be more appealing.

Or maybe not! “Show me the money” and let me try it out for a few decades, I’ll let you know which I prefer!

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

I travel a lot for work. Sometimes it’s M-F and other times it’s Sun-Sat. This is for about 48 weeks a year. So my time at home is at a premium.

If it’s a premium hunt, I’ll gladly pony up the cash. Saves me time that otherwise would be taken away from family (scouting). Also increases the likelihood of my success. I rather not take off work just for a glorified camping trip; need a decent chance at a representative animal.

If it’s a local species that I’m learning to hunt, I will pay as it significantly decreases the learning curve. Did that for black bear and it was money well spent; should have done it years ago.

If it’s a non-premium hunt and I know the area and species, I’ll do it myself or with friends. This would be a “fun” hunt and tag soup is not a big deal. These are typically a weekend hunt for me.

If it’s a non-premium hunt but a new(-ish) area and/or species AND I am hunting with friends that know what’s up, I pay for all food and some adult beverages. I do offer to offset some of their gas for scouting but no one has accepted my offer.

Once in a lifetime possibly.
Gen season hard work hunt. No.
Low odd tag draw. Likely.
High tag draw. No.
Love to do a drop camp one year. I feel like horses n packing your paying for experience n opportunity.

How I feel with or WO money

What I’ve learned is 100% my motivation to hunt hard is reduced by paying $ for tags and killing big shit easily. I’m not a big fan of paying for hunts. Access or antlers to make hunting easier is a great demotivated for working hard. That being said I don’t like hinting hard in November in 0*

Exactly this minus the cold weather stuff, i kind of dig that wild weather challenge.

If money was no concern absolutely. If I had that money it would not be an either/or. I can only get so many tags through draws so why not spend the money and buy some guided hunts that come with tags. I would hunt in Canada every year, more than once too.

From another angle I would do it just to have a nice easier hunt on private with no concern of running into other hunters from time to time.

I’m not opposed to guided hunts although I do mostly diy. I’m planning to do a guided moose hunt in Canada in two years. The reason I would not enjoy some hunts guided mostly is that I prefer to hunt elk and deer the way I like to hunt. Currently some of that is public some is on private.
My best scenario is access to sufficient private land hunting on my own, paid access or not.
I do think the love of “public land diy” is a hunting industry marketing ploy. The industry has a much larger customer base when it’s emphasizing public access and not constraining who they can appeal to.
Public grinding can feel good, be successful and I do mostly enjoy it. But I can grind if I want on private too.

Absolutely. Many have more money than time a d live far away. It’s not a statement of laziness but when you only have a couple weeks off per year and some of that is family time, a guided experience just makes sense to me. That said, I would love to DIY and am getting closer. So from a newbie standpoint I don’t see one as better than the other, just different experiences.

I would use the money to access better hunting grounds/areas on private but would prefer no guide. If some OIL tag, a particularly foreign species, or very limited time, a guide would be nice.

I look at Wilderness areas in Wyoming, species in Alaska that require a guide, the legislation in MT, guys killing each other in Colorado, its likely that guided hunts will just be how it is done in 20 years...mostly by limitations imposed by state agencies.

For now I cannot justify an Elk, Pronghorn, or Mule Deer hunt guided, thats just me, gonna enjoy the DIY game while it lasts.

My exception is if it involves a border crossing.

If money is no object...go hunt some crazy stuff in a far off country and really have an adventure, don't waste time (money is no object after all) on stuff you can do here DIY.

You do you though, and as long as you feel good when you look in the mirror, or see the rack on the wall, that is all that matters, who cares what others think.

Now how is guiding driving the privatization of our wildlife resources, I will leave to another discussion thread.

Zappaman

WKR
Depends on the guide. But generally... no.

Being a ranch kid since birth, owning several calibers I load for, and shooting often makes me a person who knows how to hunt- with over 20 elk (packed out 90-120 lbs at a time per hunter in Yak packs) and 200+ deer (most killed off managed allotment in Texas back 18 years ago, but 75 or so full hunted in the season- no blinds). I hunt deer every year- usually 3-4 doe for MEAT (I have all the horns on the wall and not getting a bigger house).

But lately, I can't do a 120 lb pack (x2-3 per hunt- if by myself) after 5-7 miles of 4000 ft (up and down) during the elk hunt. So I'd hire a guide for TWO reasons ONLY:

1) Bring the pack horse and take out the meat Vs. on my back (for days at a time)
2) Help with the lay of the land (he/she SHOULD KNOW where the elk are and what their RECENT patterns are)

So ONLY to get me where the elk are (no scouting need then), and take the meat out after the kill. I'll take advice, but I may well decide to go my own route Vs. what a guide may suggest- it's MY hunt-- not theirs. And as I have a 100% tag fill hsitory (*on every elk tag I've bought or drawn), I'm not exactly into the "guide" culture (often made up for "bankers", and (rich) people who don't shoot but once every three years- day before the hunt types). THEY NEED a guide to tell them what to do so they don't shoot themselves in the foot ;)

I know this culture well... starting as a teenager I "guided" for these types on our three family ranches in Texas and NM for over 15 years. I've dressed 500 LARGE animals (including "Mr. Drysdale's" Texas "Ace" shot deer MANY times). Shiny guns, whisky, and gut shot deer was (is) hunting for many and that is fine- nice folks, but not hunters.

And this is why we have (most) guides to take the "city folks" out and keep em' safe and happy. I say this while I am ALSO sure there are a FEW AWESOME GUIDES out there who know how to work with seasoned hunters. But I'd have to have a referal from a FEW out there I know, to even think about it and... I'm not dropping $3k on an cow elk tag when I can fill it for $1200 (or less with late season tags) and hire a guy with a horse ;)

Public hunting is always NEW territory and always preferred. I've missed a few tags where the animals just weren't there; but I HUNT every day- no days off drikin' at camp, etc. So yah... give me REAL info on where the animals are and help my old ass out getting them off the mountain-- I'll pay you some for that.

Come to think of it, I can hire a few high-school football players to "camp" out and have them bring thier packs-- and feed them steaks and beer. And while I'm at it... show them how to hunt Elk starting with how to kill them (with good shot placement), dress, quarter, and pack them out.

stdeb11

FNG
Not all the time, but on occasion I definitely would. I enjoy putting in the scouting time, making all the calls, etc of DIY. However, I've yet to find a hunting partner as committed as me so most of it is solo scouting and hunting. I always feel like I'd be more effective if I had someone else to bounce ideas off and for calling setups during archery. Inevitably each year at some point I'll hunt with someone else and end up calling elk in for them, which most times the screw up because they don't know what's going on, and they're not skilled enough to be able to help with any calling or setups....I'd really enjoy someone doing calling setups for me and helping me figure out plans at times.