WOW, am I old

Beendare

WKR
I Prefer hunting in the rain when stalking hogs... it just makes it easier to get close. Plus it’s easier for me to get away on a rainy day.
Then there is the added advantage there are less guys in the woods, you almost never run into anybody on a rainy day.

I treat my feathers but yeah they get matted down, My bow is tuned so they fly well even matted down a little.

——

OP
J

J Curlee

FNG
You see all of those LOLs, that means I'm havin fun. LOL

BD;
Turkey primaries from mature toms, will last a looong looong time before they go flat.
The feathers you buy today are from young farm raised birds that are bred for the production of meat, not feathers.
They get maybe one or two useable feathers from a turkey wing, I get eight or nine from a wild tom.
They make great fletching for arrows.
The only downside is that once you release the arrow you can't see-em any more. LOL
Jim

OP
J

J Curlee

FNG
I burn my feathers.
Don't ever do this in your house, even if you have a forgiving wife. LOL
The first time I tried it, I remember burnin one feather, then thinkin I better do this OUTSIDE! LOL
Jim

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I really am old - been shooting trad for 50 years - but I have to say that I'm really impressed by so many of you young archers out there. Great resources for you to tap into and you are doing it! Keep it up! Thankfully archery itself never gets old!

Beendare

WKR
JC, interesting....thanks for the lesson on the feathers I did not know that. It’s amazing what one can learn from the more experienced among us..... yes you can substitute the word old in that sentence- grin

do you have to do anything special to prepare the quill part of the feather?

__

OP
J

J Curlee

FNG
I rough split the quill in half, with a utility knife.
I have a jig, which is nuthin more than a pc of lumber about a foot long, 3"s wide and whatever thick, with one edge of the pc, cut at a 45 degree angle.
There is a piano hinge mounted the long way, joining those two pcs together with the point meeting in the center.
I also have a couple of luggage clamps on there to hold the whole thing together.
I put the rough quill in the board with the feather in between the wood, clamp it up, take it over to my drum sander, and remove all the quill that I don't need.
This will leave a nice glueing surface.
Before glueing, I cut an angle on the quill, then glue her to the shaft.
When the glue is dry, I hit the point on the drum sander again, put a dab of Duco on there, and your ready to go.
Jim