Wow...I drew a North Dakota Elk Tag!

Laramie

WKR
Congrats!

My only advice is to not put a number on the horns but rather focus on enjoying the experience for what it is, a once in a lifetime opportunity. I had a buddy years ago that drew a very premium tag. He was dead set on a certain number he wanted to hit and hunted his tail off to eventually shoot something below that magic number on the last day. He was upset but wanted to "at least fill the tag". It was a stress filled experience that just wasn't near as much fun as it should have been.

Superdoo

WKR
Woot Woot!
Congrats! I have a buddy who opted to play the odds and got a cow tag this year. Way to go on winning the lottery!

It's awesome to hear about how everyone in the state seems to rally around the handful of tag holders. My buddy has said he's been inundated with volunteers!

I don't want to go to bed because I feel like I am dreaming.

I drew a highly coveted North Dakota OIL Any Elk tag....unit E4 which borders Teddy Roosevelt State Park. We have about 8k people apply for around 95 bull tags in units E3/E4 so odds are extremely slim. People put in for the big 3 draw their whole life without drawing so I want to do it justice! I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. I have from 9/3-12/31 to fill my tag so glad I saved all my vacation up to this point. Unit E4 opens up to unit E3 interchangeably after the first weekend. I can hunt with bow or gun as well.

Now the real preparation and work begins! I am going to give this everything I have, we have some beautiful country to hunt elk in and I never would have expected to get this tag let alone as my first elk hunting opportunity.

I have a solid plan laid out already but if anyone has any knowledge or advice please slide into those DMs!

I will update this thread with my hunt as we near showtime.

Cheers!

Also: My brother drew a ND Any-Moose tag as well. What a crazy day this has been for my circle, going to be a very busy fall.

View attachment 281944
Congrats!

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Congrats!

My only advice is to not put a number on the horns but rather focus on enjoying the experience for what it is, a once in a lifetime opportunity. I had a buddy years ago that drew a very premium tag. He was dead set on a certain number he wanted to hit and hunted his tail off to eventually shoot something below that magic number on the last day. He was upset but wanted to "at least fill the tag". It was a stress filled experience that just wasn't near as much fun as it should have been.
Very good advice thank you. I am going to do my best to just soak it all in and enjoy every moment. I love the scenery and terrain out there and being able to go on a big game hunt with my friends and family helping will be so rewarding in itself.

I don't want to go to bed because I feel like I am dreaming.

I drew a highly coveted North Dakota OIL Any Elk tag....unit E4 which borders Teddy Roosevelt State Park. We have about 8k people apply for around 95 bull tags in units E3/E4 so odds are extremely slim. People put in for the big 3 draw their whole life without drawing so I want to do it justice! I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. I have from 9/3-12/31 to fill my tag so glad I saved all my vacation up to this point. Unit E4 opens up to unit E3 interchangeably after the first weekend. I can hunt with bow or gun as well.

Now the real preparation and work begins! I am going to give this everything I have, we have some beautiful country to hunt elk in and I never would have expected to get this tag let alone as my first elk hunting opportunity.

I have a solid plan laid out already but if anyone has any knowledge or advice please slide into those DMs!

I will update this thread with my hunt as we near showtime.

Cheers!

Also: My brother drew a ND Any-Moose tag as well. What a crazy day this has been for my circle, going to be a very busy fall.

View attachment 281944
Congrats!!! Good luck

slick

WKR
Save the money for gas and scout more weekends than a new scope

Unless you have one of those money trees in your backyard called an oil well in ND

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be in E3, south of Medora, Sept 4-12 chasing mulies. I often see elk in the area and watched a good one there last year. If I see anything I will let you know.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I'll be in E3, south of Medora, Sept 4-12 chasing mulies. I often see elk in the area and watched a good one there last year. If I see anything I will let you know.
I'd appreciate that sir.

Wapiti23

FNG
All I have to say is don't rush your hunt. Try to be as picky as possible within reason. Don't get discouraged after the first couple of weeks. Some of the best hunting is in the later part of the season once all of the deer hunters have been running around and that's when you get some reports of the big bulls hiding in little pockets. Those tidbits of info are priceless. I had a deer tag two years ago and stumbled upon 2 bulls in that 330-345 range at 200 yds. Can be a fun hunt!!! Good luck!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Congrats!! Super jelly right now...can’t wait to see the bull you get out of it. But in all seriousness don’t put pressure on yourself or have too high of expectations, it can ruin a hunt.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Congrats!! Super jelly right now...can’t wait to see the bull you get out of it. But in all seriousness don’t put pressure on yourself or have too high of expectations, it can ruin a hunt.
All I have to say is don't rush your hunt. Try to be as picky as possible within reason. Don't get discouraged after the first couple of weeks. Some of the best hunting is in the later part of the season once all of the deer hunters have been running around and that's when you get some reports of the big bulls hiding in little pockets. Those tidbits of info are priceless. I had a deer tag two years ago and stumbled upon 2 bulls in that 330-345 range at 200 yds. Can be a fun hunt!!! Good luck!
Absolutely. I am just excited for the adventure.

If it takes all season or within the first hour of season I am going to enjoy every min of it. I am looking to hold out for a 350"+. But we will see what comes along and how early season looks.

Probably won't get a chance like this at a quality bull in my lifetime unless I put down big bucks.

Ndodge

FNG
I was out near there last year and saw a pretty big herd! Congrats and good luck!

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Congratulations! I’m here in Dickinson, so PM me , and I’ll give you my phone number in case you need help packing, scouting, or anything else.