Wrangell Mtn sheep hunt tent?

KU_Geo

WKR
On a short notice I am headed to the wrangell mtns for a September 10-20 sheep hunt. Wife will be in the hunt as well, backpack with ultima Thule. I’ve got a lot of my gear already set but don’t really have a good tent option. Sounds like they have hilleberge Nallo 2 GT and Kuiu storm star tents available. Was thinking of using their hille, but after looking at the specs I am concerned it maybe pretty tight for 2 people if we get stuck in the tent a while. Any experience with the nallo2 GT or perhaps other moderate weight tents for a mid September hunt in the wrangells?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d do a bit of quick research into the length of the tents and your height. The hilleberg nallo has a steep slope in the back of the tent so if you are tall by any measure either your feet will hit the slope or it will be in your face. You’ll be waking up with wet feet or a wet head.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’d do a bit of quick research into the length of the tents and your height. The hilleberg nallo has a steep slope in the back of the tent so if you are tall by any measure either your feet will hit the slope or it will be in your face. You’ll be waking up with wet feet or a wet head.
Not sure how he would end up with a wet head in the Nallo? I've never seen anyone use that as a head-to-toe setup. There's only one entrance on the Nallo, with a vertical wall at the head. If he's 6'3"+ he'll have contact with the sloping rear wall, I've got a Nallo 2GT to confirm, but in the Kuiu he'll contact both ends because of the dome style interior with sloping walls on both ends. Now, if they ran the 2GT without the inner they'd have a ton of room, they'd be able to sleep 3+ pretty easily. The 2GT with the outer tent and bivies would be the far more spacious of those two options. Since it's his wife they might not mind the interior space of the 2GT's inner tent, I run mine as a solo shelter with the inner. If I was planning on sharing it it would as a floorless setup, or outer tent combined with the footprint to reduce condensation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am doing the same thing in October and I have an older Sierra design we used as a storage tent last October and it was nice and dry inside. We are flying in this time so I am curious to see what you find out here. I am not sure I want to test my 15 year old tent when its my only shelter.

OP
K

KU_Geo

WKR
The mallow width and height seemed a little narrow to me for if we had to spend any long duration in the tent due to weather. I’m 5’10”, wife is way shorter, so don’t think length will be an issue. I found a place local that has one in stock and I plan to go check it out tonight. Definitely would plan to run the inner tent and not just the fly.

kaboku68

WKR
Go with the Storm Star. The winds up there can be killer. Weight won't be a tremendous factor as they will drop you fairly close to where you will be hunting. Make sure you have goat tags as well as sheep tags. They have a lot of mt. dogs up there.

I have run a Black Diamond Bibler Eldorado and it works fantastic for two and has a small footprint. You will find that Nallo is fantastic but its not freestanding. Make sure that you have good repair kits for your gear.

A hunt that late is going to have a lot of snow. Its not bad though.

skierhs

WKR
I would go with the hillie. I own a couple of them and in particular the nallo 2 GT. I love how much room we have to keep gear dry and out of the elements. Ive used it for two people plenty of times and its not that bad. I’ve ridden some of the worst winds out in that tent and its built to last.

The 2 GT will be just fine, in my opinion. The vestibule is quite large and you can store all your gear in there. For that time of the year, I'd be in a Hille when in the mountains...

skierhs

WKR
Yes and no. If you have the tent zipped up fully, with no ventilation, the the outer wall can get condinsation. The inter tent wall kept me dry though. That’s assuming your on grass or something akin. It you’re on rock I would be less concerned. If you have any sort of wind and have the vents open, I wouldn’t be as worried about the condensation.

Since your using a guide service and they are providing the tents, I’d be surprised if you had a issue with either tent but my personal preference is the hillie.